• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dave Sholin

Dave Sholin was known as a great music director, as a jock he was okay. What makes
him a good choice for mornings?. I don't see morning personality when I think of Sholin.

Sholin is a terrific guy who really connects with people in conversation. Mornings will give him the chance (which I hope he takes) to go beyond jocking and into revealing his personality and making that connection with the listener.

Dr. Don Rose's magic was that beyond the three groaner jokes in a row and sound effects was a guy who really cared about the listener. I think Sholin's got that, too. Hopefully CBS will resist the urge to saddle him with lightweight or "edgy" sidekicks that he has to keep in line and let Dave reach out to the audience.

---Michael Hagerty

CBS, John Mack Flanagan, is a must for KFRC 106.9, spare no expense, you get rid of the Movin dancers, and give this Legendary DJ his afternoon drive, for all the years of Ron and Cammy in the Afternoon, then mornings, good golly, they have their crack at radio, and its time for "Reel Radio" and Charley Van Dyke, mornings yes, in the 80s he was the 10 o'clock news voice, KTVU should have kept him, the day they switched ,and used this Bargain Voice they still use, Im still wondering who he is? I would like to hear Chris Edwards on a Sunday nite all request show, and give Wild 94.9 a little competition!! Kenny in Concord

From CBS...

Press Release

RADIO AND MUSIC LEGEND DAVE “THE DUKE” SHOLIN NAMED MORNING SHOW HOST OF CLASSIC HITS 106.9 KFRC

SAN FRANCISCO – CLASSIC HITS 106.9 KFRC San Francisco has announced Dave “The Duke” Sholin as host of the station’s morning show Monday through Friday from 5:30 AM to 10 AM. The appointment, effective July 2, 2007 was announced by Steve DiNardo, Vice President and General Manger of the station.

Sholin, named one of music’s “Heavy Hundred” by Rolling Stone magazine and an inductee into The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, graduated from San Francisco State and started his radio career at San Jose ’s KLIV as Music Director and announcer. After finding success at KLIV he then revamped the ailing KARA into a Bay Area ratings powerhouse as one of the first architects of the Hot AC format. Sholin then joined RKO’s KFRC, where under his guidance the station won Billboard Magazine’s “Major Market Top 40 Station of the Year” for an unprecedented seven years in a row. RKO then promoted Sholin to National Music Director, where he oversaw the play lists of all RKO’s music stations. While serving in this capacity, was able to interview many musicians, including one which was truly historic: On December 8, 1981, Sholin Spent the afternoon talking with John Lennon in his New York home, in what would end up being Lennon’s last interview. After overseeing production of “The Beatles: From Liverpool to Legend”, Sholin returned to the Bay Area, becoming Gavin Report’s Top 40 Editor. In 1984, Sholin and several other editors bought the Gavin Report, and when the magazine was sold in 1993 Sholin stayed on as Executive Director. Also in 1984, Sholin returned to KFRC as on-air host and Program Director as well as hosting syndicated Top 40 Shows for Westwood One and Premiere Radio. In 1998 Sholin moved to the record industry where he has served as Vice President of Promotion for both Island Records and Capitol Records, Vice President of Musicbiz.com, as well as Senior Director of Adult Promotion for the EMI Music Collective and most recently Director of Adult Formats for Caroline/Astrelwerks Records.

“Dave’s past experience at KFRC came at a time when the station was in the forefront of popular culture in the Bay Area,” commented KFRC VP/GM Steve DiNardo. “He has retained that sense of relevance throughout his career; and we’re excited to unleash it on the new 106.9, KFRC.”

The bargain voice you refer to is Scott Chapin, the one time KFRC Production Director in 1986 who was hired by (drum roll please...) ,
"Your Duke" Dave Sholin when he was PD. Scott came for B-97 New Orleans. Since then, Scott has moved to Arizona where he has a very busy voice over business for Television news. He may not have the same pipes that Charlie Van Dyke does, but he is really talented. Who do you think wrote and sang the KFRC song called "I Won't Forget You" in '86 before they changed to Magic 61? I think new KFRC PD Tim Jordan even helped Scott produce that song if I remember correctly!

"On December 8, 1981, Sholin Spent the afternoon talking with John Lennon in his New York home..."

Wow! A full year after Lennon's death. That IS amazing. Must have been a type-oh.

Re: Dave Sholin = Great choice !

The Lennon year was in error.

SHOLIN (Yurr Duke) is a great choice for anchoring The New 106.9 KFRC.

Next move?

"Dave Sholin was known as a great music director, as a jock he was okay. What makes
him a good choice for mornings?. I don't see morning personality when I think of Sholin."

I think The Duke is a great choice. I agree with Michael Hagerty - he connects with the audience. Would I have chosen him as a morning comedian schtick-meister? No - and I'd just as soon KFRC resists any temptation to try to make him one. Just let Dave be Dave, and that will be fine. Personally, I'm sick of morning "personalities" who try too hard to be funny, generally only end up being LOUD, and always have some hysterically laughing side-kick along to let the listeners know when they should laugh. too. Don't insult my intelligence - just have good interesting conversation - maybe an interview here and there - between the classic hits, and that will be fine, thank you.

How do you spell "Relief"? Dave Sholin, Somehow i thought we would have to serve another 10 years with Parker and Blackstone, a much better choice is as he used to say "Your little San Jose Flash. Your Duke Dave Sholin, Now for afternoon drive, Theres only one choice, A Bay Area Legend, i bring you John Mack Flanagan, Make the right choice CBS, This guy is Mr. Radio!!! Spare no expense, this Guy is "Exactly what KFRC Needs!!!!" Call him now tell him the good news!! Kenny in Concord Weve been Deprived long enough!!

Lew I've seen your posts for years. You know absolutely nothing about the business, yet
you have opinions on everything A-Z. I see you bird dogging on LARadio.com as some expert
on SF Radio, you've never been behind a mic and you know it.

Doublecash:
All Llew did was agree with what I said. I've been behind the mic. If you've got a problem with the concept of Sholin in AM Drive, cool. Let's hear it. But don't go beating up on people who love radio because they've never earned a paycheck from it. This is a public board, not a closed-door jock meeting.

---Michael Hagerty

"Lew I've seen your posts for years. You know absolutely nothing about the business, yet
you have opinions on everything A-Z. I see you bird dogging on LARadio.com as some expert
on SF Radio, you've never been behind a mic and you know it."

Doublecashkgb: Actually, I was a guest on KGO a few times in the late 80s, so I have literally been "behind a mic," but I get your point. I've never pretended to know anything about the radio business from the inside, I've always expressed myself only as a longtime fan of the medium. I used to put disclaimers on my posts saying "I'm not a radio professional, but..." After awhile, it got tedious saying that over and over, and I figured everybody knew.

I don't pretend to be an expert when I send items to LARadio.com either. Don Barrett knows I've never been in the business. I either send some news related announcement that he'll print if he hasn't already gotten it from a different, more "professional" source, or my opinion, plain and simple. I also post on a couple of political blogs, but I've never held elective office. Is that a problem for you too, or am I allowed to have opinions about politics?

If you want to trash me, fine - but to trash me for giving my opinion of Dave Sholin seems odd. Again, I'm expressing my opinion as a listener. For all I know, Sholin has horns and eats puppies for breakfast. But I don't have to know that to have an opinion of his on-air work.

Last time I checked, it was radio listeners who keep Arbitron diaries, not radio professionals. I guess that's also wrong?

Sholin is actually a perfect choice. True, he is not some "Big Personality" and he would be first to agree. But what he has is warmth, knowledge (of the MUSIC and the MARKET). He is pleasant. He is a nice guy and you will notice simply from listening to him. He can certainly be funny--but really what he has is... FUN on the radio. GREAT CHOICE for mornings!

I disagree, I thought they would get someone with more energy to get the morning drive up and running rather than "the Duke", but time will see. I just hope that they let the air staff be zanny like the old days and not simply the old "rip and read" KOIT stye. The top shelf names will lure the listeners but let them be "personalites" that's what will keep 'em listening.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom