• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When do the DJs make their Debut on 106.9 KFRC????????????

BossJock1947 said:
DavidSC said:
JbeJay said:
Lkeller said:
Exactly. DavidSC said it better than I did.

Then both you and David have embraced one point of view. I hope that each of you is open-minded enough to understand that yours is not the only way of seeing things.

If there were (only one), just think how boring life would be!

People on this site often make one point and then dig in and defend it without having an open mind. Example: Hire personalities that were associated with the station and classic music vs hire Djs who sound contemporary. Why does it have to be either/or. Of course it would be foolish to hire a tired old has been who can't relate just because he used to be famous. But do you really believe that everyone who use to work at KFRCor any other station can no longer sound contemporary. At what age should there be mandatory retirement from radio, 50-40-maybe 30.

If you're a programmer or manager how about being open minded enough to listen to each air check and judge the personality's talent and relatablility not age.

You make a good point David. Unfortuanely there are many older good "Contemporary" talents in their 40s-50s who can't get jobs.

And that's the whole point...Why would a "professional" programmer pass over the the best candidate for the job? A corporate manual? A consultant's rule? A fear of supervising someone with more experience? Maybe, "He's too old to understand today's softwear."

I'm pleased to see Dan Mason return to blow up that nightmare of a regime at CBS radio. If he continues on this path with their other [EDIT]stations I may be forced to eat crow and a couple of hats, not to mention the bets I never thought I'd have to pay up on...

[EDIT-profanity]

DavidSC said:
Why would a "professional" programmer pass over the the best candidate for the job?

Ah, but David, who determines which one is the best candidate?

Whatever the case maybe, it looks like Mike Preston IS indeed the PD although at this point there is no official word. There is an ad on Craig's List encouraging would be air talent to apply along with a Production Director. Kenny In Concord, this is YOUR chance to follow in the footsteps of your hero, John Mack Flanagan!

BCradiodj, Thanks for the info, however Im going to pass, lets leave "Bay Area Radio" to Legendary DJs starting in Alphbetical order ..............
1) JOHN MACK FLANAGAN Thanks Mike Preston, Kenny in Concord

bcradiodj said:
Whatever the case maybe, it looks like Mike Preston IS indeed the PD although at this point there is no official word. There is an ad on Craig's List encouraging would be air talent to apply along with a Production Director. Kenny In Concord, this is YOUR chance to follow in the footsteps of your hero, John Mack Flanagan!

Nope, Preston will NOT be the PD, but look for that announcement REALLY soon. It'll be someone very close to the operation already. And Joe Ike had a stroke, not a heart attack. but close. Last airshift on KFRC was around April of last year.

Well, they've seen Jay Coffey, and Steve Weed so far in the past two days. Both not very good choices. Jay tanked KRTH Los Angeles and KBSG Seattle. And, former KDND Sacramento PD Steve Weed allowed a promotion (Hold your Pee for a Wii) on air at "The End" which killed a listener. Is CBS that dumb to hire a PD that let a stunt kill a listener?

Not knowing if this has been posted elsewhere on the SFO board, and
not seeing it on this thread til now, I found bemusing this URL a friend
forwarded to me: 106.9 KFRC has an ad on Craig's List is looking for
DeeJay's!!!

Source:
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/tfr/344832461.html

The have not interviewed Jay Coffey as of yet. Steve Weed was in the building in a nice suit I might ad.

Please excuse my ignorant question...who is doing the hiring of the staff?

Is it Mike Preston? OR is/will it be the new PD and Mr. Preston is just getting all the info/demos put together to help the new PD?

The ad says Mike Preston, but if he is not the PD (albeit he is overall "Grand POO Bah") I find it a bit curious as to who has say in the sound/direction of the potential talent on KFRC.

yes stations do take a long time to hire jocks when the format flips, one of the many reasons for this is to establish a change.

and due to advertising obligations ... they have to air the ads that were paid for and complete all contracts... it is a business after all.....

Hi Folks:

Do radio stations usually advertise for Dee Jays on Craigslist? I would have thought they would advertise in industry magazines, newspapers, and internet sites such as this.

What type of candidates do they expect to pull off of Craigslist?

Mike

"Do radio stations usually advertise for Dee Jays on Craigslist? I would have thought they would advertise in industry magazines, newspapers, and internet sites such as this. What type of candidates do they expect to pull off of Craigslist?"

Everything I know about radio I learned anecdotally, but I DO know about Human Resources, and recruitment, because that's what I do. When we advertise for vacancies in the public agency I work for, we go to professional recruiting sources, but we also ALWAYS list our jobs on Craig's List. I don't know about radio DJs, but in my experience, every job seeker checks CL. We get huge CL response for everything from low-level clerical jobs to high level technical and engineering jobs. And CL seems to get us more qualified applicants than we get from Monster, HotJobs, or similar sites.

You gotta wonder, A ad on CL, looking for DJ s, tell me why you guys at CBS are wasting so much time on this venture, what an insult, youve got John Mack Flanagan, whos so qaulified for radio its not even funny, this system your using (CBS) is movin at a "Turtles Pace" Come on guys, the Clock is ticking away,, it didnt take long to get the 580 freeway repaired, too bad CW Myers wasnt running the show, the DJs would be on by now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats your approximate estimate,, Christmas time? Kenny in Concord

mikecroaro said:
Hi Folks:

Do radio stations usually advertise for Dee Jays on Craigslist? I would have thought they would advertise in industry magazines, newspapers, and internet sites such as this.

What type of candidates do they expect to pull off of Craigslist?

Mike

Would this be a "for the record" EEO compliance ploy? The ad goes in a public file, looks good on paper even if not likely to produce results and they already have in mind who to hire.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom