• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

When do the DJs make their Debut on 106.9 KFRC????????????

XM RADIO said:
... these guys know radio better than anyone ...

Kenny, there are (at least) two schools of thought concerning air talent on a catalog-based (oldies, classic hits, classic rock, etc) station.

One is to match the era of the music with people who were on the air at that time, familiar voices playing familiar songs. Clearly that is what you think is the way to go.

Another is to balance the older music with people who provide a contemporary delivery, a complete break from the past, a conscious differentiation from the era of the songs. It may be that this is what GM has in mind.

Each approach has its merits. In other situations and in other markets, each approach has had its successes and its failures.

XM RADIO said:
... I would gues you are 32 or younger , sorry to say you missed out on the "Best Radio" ever heard!!

I have the feeling you think that "32 or younger" is GM's shortcoming. You seem to be saying it again and again almost as though it were a personal insult.

I would guess, therefore, that you are way beyond 32 yourself. That's not meant to be an insult, of course, but it may affect the way you are seeing things.

That doesn't mean you're wrong and GM is right, in my opinion, but it also doesn't support the oppposite conclusion either.

Just a thought.

Jay

"Kenny, there are (at least) two schools of thought concerning air talent on a catalog-based (oldies, classic hits, classic rock, etc) station. One is to match the era of the music with people who were on the air at that time, familiar voices playing familiar songs. Clearly that is what you think is the way to go. Another is to balance the older music with people who provide a contemporary delivery, a complete break from the past, a conscious differentiation from the era of the songs. It may be that this is what GM has in mind. Each approach has its merits. In other situations and in other markets, each approach has had its successes and its failures."

Thank You JbeJay - that's a reasonable way of looking at it - not just a 'throw-out-the-old-guys' rant. I DO see the merit of both schools of thought. Nobody is saying that KFRC should have jocks that "sound old" - but guys like Ocean, Flanagan, and a number of others I could name - are professionals, and there's no reason they can't sound current...certainly for a classic hits station, anyway. Granted, they probably wouldn't be convincing doing CHR, or hip-hop. I spend some time listening to these stations with my daughter, and I can appreciate the talent of a number of them - like Saint John and Joe Breezy on Wild 94.9. They really add value to the music on those stations - they have talent, and they get it. But having DJs from the 70s or 80s era on KFRC would add some "big name" status to the station, and I see no reason why it should alienate younger listeners. Again - it's radio, so you can't see the gray hair and wrinkles.

K-Earth in LA got a lot of mileage out of Robert W. Morgan and the Real Don Steele in the 90s - both in their 60s at the time, and they probably would have maintained high ratings for a few years more - into the beginning of the new millennium, in my opinion, if they hadn't passed away the same year - both victims of lung cancer.

[/quote]
One is to match the era of the music with people who were on the air at that time,
Another is to balance the older music with people who provide a contemporary delivery,

[/quote]

This assumes that the voices that were professionals then are in some time warp and can't give a contemorary delivery now. A combination of classic artists (djs) playing classic artists (musicians) under the direction of a capable program director that can help both be contemporary (relate to the audience).

"This assumes that the voices that were professionals then are in some time warp and can't give a contemporary delivery now. A combination of classic artists (djs) playing classic artists (musicians) under the direction of a capable program director that can help both be contemporary (relate to the audience)."

Exactly. DavidSC said it better than I did.

Lkeller said:

Then both you and David have embraced one point of view. I hope that each of you is open-minded enough to understand that yours is not the only way of seeing things.

If there were (only one), just think how boring life would be!

Question for JbeJay, would "Big Tom Parker" fit in with the New KFRC 106.9 ?? And your spin on these.....
Steve Garland
Celeste Perry
Paula Kelly
Scott Forrest
Pat Evans
J.Parker Antrim
Mucho Morales
Jack Friday
Joe Ike, all of these are well known and highly rated, Opinion please!! Kenny in Concord

"Then both you and David have embraced one point of view. I hope that each of you is open-minded enough to understand that yours is not the only way of seeing things."

I realize CBS will be choosing their DJs without considering me, Kenny, or probably any of us who post here. I'm OK with that. Actually - an example of a great DJ who did NOT fit into the 'old veteran' top 40 mode was JoJo Kincaid, and he fit right into KFRC for the brief few months he was on. Unfortunately, CBS treated him like dirt, and he's an Entercom employee now. I say "unfortunately" for us non-country listeners, not for him.

I have to confess I don't even remember a couple of the names Kenny mentions (Pat Evans? Scott Forrest?) Obviously all of those other Top 40 veterans we all speak of would have to be asked by CBS to work on KFRC, but they would also have to WANT to work for CBS...an iffy proposition. Many probably have well-paid jobs in other markets, or stable, more secure jobs in other industries.

Jack Friday wrote to this board recently - it sounds like he's doing well in Oregon. Lee Baby Simms seems happy in retirement. I don't know if "Marvelous" Mark McKay is on the air anywhere, but he seems to have a thriving Voiceover business, and may not want to relocate. Even if they ask John Mack, does he need any more potential radio disappointment in his life? Only he can answer that. Bobby Ocean would probably rather have multiple root canals than work for CBS again. And so on...

Lkeller said:
I have to confess I don't even remember a couple of the names Kenny mentions (Pat Evans? ...

Pat Evans was never on the air, to the best of my recollection. She was APD at KYA and PD at KSFX and KOME in the 70s and 80s. I'm not sure why Kenny mentioned her, unless we're thinking of two different people.

XM RADIO said:
Question for JbeJay, would "Big Tom Parker" fit in with the New KFRC 106.9 ?? And your spin on these.....

It won't be my decision, Kenny. KFRC management will decide which way they want to go.

If they do bring in heritage names, the ones they choose will ideally be those [1] who are available and [2] whom the audience wants to hear.

Not every name on your list is "available". I see at least one who wouldn't even consider it.

And not every jock-from-the-past is someone whom the listeners will want to hear today, just as there are some #1-chart oldies which never get played in rotation today for good reason; namely, almost nobody wants to hear the song again!

XM RADIO said:

Isn't it Joe Eich? (How long has he been out of radio? Or is he back in?)

XM RADIO said:
... all of these are well known and highly rated ...

As with popular songs from days gone by, some are "well known and highly rated" and some are not. Some were "well known" at the time but have been forgotten since. Some were "highly rated" at the time but are best forgotten.

If GM's thinking prevails, probably nobody on your list will be chosen. If your thinking wins out, you have named some good ones.

It will be interesting to see what the decision-makers do.

Jay

"Isn't it Joe Eich? (How long has he been out of radio? Or is he back in?)"

I thought I heard Joe voicing a commercial yesterday, and it was probably on KFRC. If I remember correctly, he was doing weekends and fill-in on KFRC (99.7/610), but did not make the cut when they switched from 60s Oldies to Classic Hits (pre-MOViN), and laid off a bunch of air talent...late 2005, I think.

JbeJay said:
XM RADIO said:

Isn't it Joe Eich? (How long has he been out of radio? Or is he back in?)

Jay

If you're talking about the guy from KFRC, who is also the San Jose Sharks' public address announcer at HP Pavilion, then it is most definitely Joe Ike. I think (but don't quote me) that he got his start locally at KLIV back in the Seventies.

Reference: http://www.sjsharks.com/team/Staff.asp

DJ

Pat Evans was the Midday tonsil on KSFO/KYA93.3 , he came to KSFO/KYA in 1986 and did middays til Jan 89, then Celeste Perry took over middays, what a voice !!! And Sylvia Chacon did nites,at KSFO/ KYA93.3 I have to say Pat Evans was a good midday guy, he was on KRTH , before his stint here, he was Bob Hamiltons bud!!! Kenny in Concord

JbeJay said:
Lkeller said:

Then both you and David have embraced one point of view. I hope that each of you is open-minded enough to understand that yours is not the only way of seeing things.

People on this site often make one point and then dig in and defend it without having an open mind. Example: Hire personalities that were associated with the station and classic music vs hire Djs who sound contemporary. Why does it have to be either/or. Of course it would be foolish to hire a tired old has been who can't relate just because he used to be famous. But do you really believe that everyone who use to work at KFRCor any other station can no longer sound contemporary. At what age should there be mandatory retirement from radio, 50-40-maybe 30.

If you're a programmer or manager how about being open minded enough to listen to each air check and judge the personality's talent and relatablility not age.

About Joe Ike

I thought I heard Joe voicing a commercial yesterday, and it was probably on KFRC. If I remember correctly, he was doing weekends and fill-in on KFRC (99.7/610), but did not make the cut when they switched from 60s Oldies to Classic Hits (pre-MOViN), and laid off a bunch of air talent...late 2005, I think.

Lkeller:

by November of 2004 Joe Ike was feed up with working weekends at KFRC in waiting for a better full-time job there to emerge. Bob Harlow talked him into staying through the holidays with the promise of something full time on the horizon. Around June or July of 2005 Joe had a heart attack from stress.

He never wanted to return to weekends. However he did help out KFRC for full-time fill-in when Dean Goss was away and presumably for full-time pay.

It became so disproportionate for Joe Ike in the fact that he worked so many years at KFRC under part time status at $ 30.00 to $ 35.00 an hour when the full time talent would earn $ 150,000.00 a year.

I was close to the situation becasue I was working with Bob Harlow back then on possibly filling that weekend position. Joe had been doing a regular Saturday and Sunday shift, so what did KFRC do? They decided to voice-track Saturday mornings and stretch the Sunday live shifts so they only needed two jocks both days.

I do not know Joe personally but I certainally feel for him in the stress that he went through. I also enjoy his suttle humor on the air. If Joe does return I would expect him to hold out for a regular full time position.

Does anyone know how Joe Ike is doing and if he is working at a station?

Newsperson

DavidSC, thats a good point, however age shouldnt be a big issue, Im sure Bobby Ocean is in his late 50s, John Mack Flanagan was a 1964 Graduate, Chris Edwards was 1959, In fact when Bobby Ocean was "Radio Ray " @ KKIS in Pittsburg in 1967 40 years ago, hes gotta be 60, These 3 guys are "Solid Radio Personalities" Explain to me How Norm N Nite, Cousin Brucie, and Casey Casem made it so long, Simple people want to hear them, Theyve made a name for themselves, and the money just keeps rollin in! Bobby Ocean sounds exactly like he did in 1973 on KFRC, His voice and his stint on XM will be around for a long time, Bobby Ocean makes the 70s channel come alive @3pm WWest Coast time, to bad XM couldnt bring in JMF and re create radio like it used to be. Kenny in Concord

Newsperson said: "by November of 2004 Joe Ike was feed up with working weekends at KFRC in waiting for a better full-time job there to emerge. Bob Harlow talked him into staying through the holidays with the promise of something full time on the horizon. Around June or July of 2005 Joe had a heart attack from stress."

I guess I was off by about a year, or perhaps I heard Joe filling in for Goss or in afternoon weekday drive.

"He never wanted to return to weekends. However he did help out KFRC for full-time fill-in when Dean Goss was away and presumably for full-time pay."

I hope he got full-time pay. I would think working with Cammy would involve combat pay. Sorry - I just can't help Cammy-bashing.

"I do not know Joe personally but I certainally feel for him in the stress that he went through. I also enjoy his suttle humor on the air. If Joe does return I would expect him to hold out for a regular full time position."

I agree about his subtle himor - Joe is not flashy, just a straight-forward jock, but entertaining and smart. Occasionally, KFRC would break format a bit. Maybe 4 years ago, they did a weekend dedicated to veterans. It was probably on Veteran's or Memorial day weekend - I can't remember. But between the Oldies, they took a lot of calls from veterans, widows of servicemen, and so on. I heard Joe's show on this weekend, and was impressed by his articulateness, and sensitivity with the people who called. If I remember from that show, Joe himself is a Vietnam vet.

"Does anyone know how Joe Ike is doing and if he is working at a station?"

I haven't heard him since 04 at KFRC - maybe BossRadioDJ knows...

XM RADIO said:
DavidSC, thats a good point, however age shouldnt be a big issue, Im sure Bobby Ocean is in his late 50s, John Mack Flanagan was a 1964 Graduate, Chris Edwards was 1959, In fact when Bobby Ocean was "Radio Ray " @ KKIS in Pittsburg in 1967 40 years ago, hes gotta be 60, These 3 guys are "Solid Radio Personalities" Explain to me How Norm N Nite, Cousin Brucie, and Casey Casem made it so long, Simple people want to hear them, Theyve made a name for themselves, and the money just keeps rollin in! Bobby Ocean sounds exactly like he did in 1973 on KFRC, His voice and his stint on XM will be around for a long time, Bobby Ocean makes the 70s channel come alive @3pm WWest Coast time, to bad XM couldnt bring in JMF and re create radio like it used to be. Kenny in Concord

Exactly!

Lkeller said:
"Does anyone know how Joe Ike is doing and if he is working at a station?"

I haven't heard him since 04 at KFRC - maybe BossRadioDJ knows...

I mentioned earlier under this topic that Joe is the in-house PA voice of the San Jose Sharks at HP Pavilion, and has been for many years. He was still employed by 99.7 KFRC last June (a year ago).

DJ

Re-Deubt of The Duke

Dave Sholin makes a cameo in the Weekend Beatles promo... will he be pullnig an airshift, tomorrow/this weekend?

PLUS who cracked the whip and made KFRC change their top of the hour legal to include "...KFRC FM"?

The listening has been great, so far.... anybody else think a disco/70's show would sound HOT on Fri or Sat night?

Re: KFRC Legal ID On 106.9

BnRinBayArea said:
PLUS who cracked the whip and made KFRC change their top of the hour legal to include "...KFRC FM"?

BnR,

The FCC authorization to change the call letters on 106.9 from KIFR to KFRC just came through, so they couldn't legally do the TOH ID as KFRC until now.

DavidSC said:
JbeJay said:
Lkeller said:

People on this site often make one point and then dig in and defend it without having an open mind. Example: Hire personalities that were associated with the station and classic music vs hire Djs who sound contemporary. Why does it have to be either/or. Of course it would be foolish to hire a tired old has been who can't relate just because he used to be famous. But do you really believe that everyone who use to work at KFRCor any other station can no longer sound contemporary. At what age should there be mandatory retirement from radio, 50-40-maybe 30.

If you're a programmer or manager how about being open minded enough to listen to each air check and judge the personality's talent and relatablility not age.

You make a good point David. Unfortuanely there are many older good "Contemporary" talents in their 40s-50s who can't get jobs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom