• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

am 1460

ajhenderson

Inactive
Inactive User
Is this a MRBI operated station, or is it leased out? I'm aware it's one of the worst stations in the market, but anyone know what's on it other than the spiritual dreck in the morning and midmorning? Paid ethnic? Does the thing make any money?

1460 Khz from where? What are the call letters?

Let's see we have 1450 KEST in S.F. 1490 in Petaluma, 1470 in Sacramento, is it San Jose?

Newsperson

newsperson said:
1460 Khz from where? What are the call letters?

Let's see we have 1450 KEST in S.F. 1490 in Petaluma, 1470 in Sacramento, is it San Jose?

Newsperson
I am guessing, he means 1460 from Monterey? Used to be sister station to KDON-102.5. I don't know if it still is. I remember when 1460 was Heavy Metal Rock back in the late 1980's.

AM 1450 KEST

KJCB said:
Sorry, mistyped. I was aware it was a Class C, but for some reason typed it wrong... I meant 1450 KEST.
I remember when KEST-1450 was "All Classic Old Time Radio Dramas" playing such shows as "Burns And Allen", "The Lone Ranger" and "Suspense" as well as a contemporary comedy show called "The Freeway Funnies" in the early 1970's. In 1977, KEST switched to a "Paid Religious Format" yet it retained "The Freeway Funnies". Unusual Mix! :eek:

Re: KEST 1450 (Was: am 1460 for some reason)

Madmansam said:
I remember when KEST-1450 was "All Classic Old Time Radio Dramas" playing such shows as "Burns And Allen", "The Lone Ranger" and "Suspense" as well as a contemporary comedy show called "The Freeway Funnies" in the early 1970's. In 1977, KEST switched to a "Paid Religious Format" yet it retained "The Freeway Funnies". Unusual Mix! :eek:

"Freeway Funnies" was hosted by Les Malloy, who owned the station (along with Del Courtney) for many years -- most notably when it was KSOL/1450 in the 1960s, playing R&B and Soul.

Les Malloy was a pioneering disc jockey on KYA back in the 1940s, and was one of the first local TV stars on KGO-TV (Channel 7) in the 1950s. He was inducted into the Bay Area Radio Hall of Fame last year.

Nifty fact: his son, Dave Malloy, is president of the Anderson's Big Screen TV stores around the Bay Area, a company he has operated for more than 25 years.

More about Les Malloy at:

http://www.emmysf.tv/lmalloy/lmalloy.html

DJ

The stations first call was KSAN and it operated out of the Furnature Mart on Market street. The transmitter and tower was atop the building.

CarterB said:
The stations first call was KSAN and it operated out of the Furniture Mart on Market street. The transmitter and tower was atop the building.

Actually, the station got its start back in the 1920s as KGTT of the Glad Tidings Tabernacle in San Francisco, then became KGGC. It took on the KSAN call letters in 1939 and became KSOL in 1964 and KEST in 1971.

DJ

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom