• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Format Holes in the Bay area

Hey Marv L.A., I know you and other fans of 80s Pop might appreciate this:
http://www.clearchannelmusic.com/formatlab/

The 5th format mentioned is American Top 40 classics. It's all American Top 40 from the 80s all the time! Casey Kasem counting them down including long distance dedications and even giving the weeekly shouts to radio stations that air the show (every week American Top 40 is heard in the 50 states and around the world on great radio stations like...)
Personally I think this is what the 80s format should have more of - original 80s countdowns from Casey, Rick Dees, and even Scott Shannon. These were after all the biggest hits in the country, ALL THE BIG HITS!
As far as HD Radio, this format could be perfect for a variety of formats on their side channels - Top 40, Hot A/C, Bright A/C, Jack, Classic Hits, or even Oldies stations.

American Top 40 classics may just be the greatest thing since sliced bread :D

interesting thread - just want to point out about z95.7 that station never really quite...man they were bland from the get go.

I know when I was working and one of the two dominant stations - there was one particular event <Wanna Be a VJ> 2000 or 2001 when the're part timers and promotions team all did drops and testamonials for our station. Case in point...if you're personel doesn't have enough self respect and love for the station, then how are you going to make listeners become passionate about it...then again CHR has never been a passion format... It was then I realized that...there can't be any station that comes in that can mess with KYLD and KMEL. period.

I don't care what any old timer will say or how much the guys who like to break down formats and say what's wrong with what's here now this isn't the sixties anymore...and seeing as though we are in the center of the "information highway" people aren't going to rely on radio like they used to. since the way people listen to music has changed, the gap between 25-54 is now rediculous. Will CHR work in the bay area? I'm talking ratings and revenue here...maybe...but that's only if Wild continues to do wht they are doing - leaning more conservative without losing their idenity. you can bring a completely new station into the market as a CHR but chances are you'll stay in the red for the duration of station being on air!

interesting thread - just want to point out about z95.7 that station never really quite...man they were bland from the get go.

I know when I was working and one of the two dominant stations - there was one particular event <Wanna Be a VJ> 2000 or 2001 when the're part timers and promotions team all did drops and testamonials for our station. Case in point...if you're personel doesn't have enough self respect and love for the station, then how are you going to make listeners become passionate about it...then again CHR has never been a passion format... It was then I realized that...there can't be any station that comes in that can mess with KYLD and KMEL. period.

I don't care what any old timer will say or how much the guys who like to break down formats and say what's wrong with what's here now this isn't the sixties anymore...and seeing as though we are in the center of the "information highway" people aren't going to rely on radio like they used to. since the way people listen to music has changed, the gap between 25-54 is now rediculous. Will CHR work in the bay area? I'm talking ratings and revenue here...maybe...but that's only if Wild continues to do wht they are doing - leaning more conservative without losing their idenity. you can bring a completely new station into the market as a CHR but chances are you'll stay in the red for the duration of station being on air!

WHAT ABOUT ACTIVE ROCK? ENTERCOM HAS DONE IT WELL IN CERTAIN MARKETS, CBS JUST TURNED FREE FM IN NEW YORK ACTIVE, CLEAR CHANNEL IS DOING IT IN SOME OF THEIR MAJOR MARKETS AND ALL THOSE COMPANIES HAVE THE RESOURCES TO LAUNCH A GOOD ACTIVE ROCK.

ANYONE IN THE KNOW THING THAT IT MAY BE TIME FOR A KRQR TYPE "ROCKER" FORMAT FOR A NEW GENERATION ROCK AUDIENCE.

AC/DC, NIRVANA, DISTURBED, PEARL JAM, 30 SECONDS TO MARS, LINKIN PARK, PAPA ROACH, METALLICA, GODSMACK, FOO FIGHTERS, HENDRIX, KORN, ZEP....A STATION THAT ROCKS AND DOESN'T PLAY THE WHINEY ALTERNATIVE THAT LIVE 105 IS ALL OVER.

IT SUCKS THAT YOUNG PEOPLE 12-34 DON'T HAVE MUCH IF ANY MEMORY OF ANY ROCK STATION IN TOWN EXCEPT FOR WHAT LIVE105 HAS BEEN DOING. :'(

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS OR HAS THIS THREAD RUN ITS COURSE....?

crguy said:
WHAT ABOUT ACTIVE ROCK? ENTERCOM HAS DONE IT WELL IN CERTAIN MARKETS, CBS JUST TURNED FREE FM IN NEW YORK ACTIVE, CLEAR CHANNEL IS DOING IT IN SOME OF THEIR MAJOR MARKETS AND ALL THOSE COMPANIES HAVE THE RESOURCES TO LAUNCH A GOOD ACTIVE ROCK.

ANYONE IN THE KNOW THING THAT IT MAY BE TIME FOR A KRQR TYPE "ROCKER" FORMAT FOR A NEW GENERATION ROCK AUDIENCE.

AC/DC, NIRVANA, DISTURBED, PEARL JAM, 30 SECONDS TO MARS, LINKIN PARK, PAPA ROACH, METALLICA, GODSMACK, FOO FIGHTERS, HENDRIX, KORN, ZEP....A STATION THAT ROCKS AND DOESN'T PLAY THE WHINEY ALTERNATIVE THAT LIVE 105 IS ALL OVER.

IT SUCKS THAT YOUNG PEOPLE 12-34 DON'T HAVE MUCH IF ANY MEMORY OF ANY ROCK STATION IN TOWN EXCEPT FOR WHAT LIVE105 HAS BEEN DOING. :'(

ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS OR HAS THIS THREAD RUN ITS COURSE....?

75% of the artists you mention are getting airplay on the Bone right now.

Yeah but the bone is geared towards who? PLEASE ENJOY THE BONE IF UR OVER 35 AND DON'T CARE ABOUT NEW MUSIC. YES THERE ISA MARKET FOR CLASSIC ROCK, BUT GEZE...ALICE COOPER?

I'm thinking of a young rock audience that wants the NEW ROCK and not just the NEW "ALTERNATIVE" the LIVE is playing.

Bone plays Doobie Brothers, ZZ top and the Beatles for gosh sakes. Pink Floyd, Heart, Skynard? Are u kidding? Who under age 35 really cares about them? But there's a need to play NEW rock thats out there that people are buying and going to see live.

Where's the station playing Tool, Puddle of Mudd, Three Days Grace, Bullet For My Valentine and Buckcherry? Does anyone even know who these bands are that look at this site? They are huge with young rock fans NOT into rap or "classic" rock or that "weird" alternative stuff and there seems to be a huge hole for a station geared towards these people.

Where is the Def Leppard of tomorrow for The Bone to play in 20 years? LOL

The problem with radio in the Bay Area, in my opinion, is the listener. Growing up listening to the KFRC's, KYA's and KDIA's of the world, they could play various "types" of music. Even KDIA played some Hall & Oates, and the like.

My point is, KFRC could play "Squeeze Box" into "Let Your Love Flow" into "Love Rollercoaster" and everybody thought that was cool. Today, we are so segmented that the average kid listens to one flavor and never expands.

That said, Top 40 as I knew it is dead. I could listen to "Rhinestone Cowboy" and "Flashlight" and "in The Bush"....oh those were the days :-\

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom