• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Tony Pepper

C

Casablanca

Anyone know where Tony Pepper is? Know he had some health problems and did talk radio a few years back after Channel 4.

Does anyone know who Tony Pepper is?

IIRC Pepper used to be Jack Williams partner in Ch 4 news (or Tom Ellis' or someone else). He developed
vision problems due to diabetes or something like that. May have been part of WRKO morning show

did a yahoo search
http://www.radio-info.com/smf/index.php?topic=2763.0

(June 2005)

>>Parklane: "Tony has diabetes but never heard he had heart surgery. Had the pleasure of working with him back in the 80's when he was at WMRE when it was doing talk.
Couldn't have been a nicer or more helpful guy.
He has had some tough breaks. Last I read Tony had his own production company in Holliston."

IIRC Pepper used to be Jack Williams partner in Ch 4 news (or Tom Ellis' or someone else).

Pepper and Williams were the team. Then the consultants said that Williams had to go, so they brought in Liz Walker from, IIRC, San Francisco, and moved Williams off the 'cast.

Pepper had a falling out with Walker, and also got involved in a contract flap concerning Mary Stewart, the lifestyle and entertainment reporter, and ended up leaving and Williams was put back on the show with Walker.

And the rest is history.

Regards,
TSB

Many of us know the history but wonder where he is now.

Wasn't there some racist remarks Pepper made at Walker which caused the falling out? Somehow, I recall hearing that.

TSBench said:
IIRC Pepper used to be Jack Williams partner in Ch 4 news (or Tom Ellis' or someone else).

Pepper and Williams were the team. Then the consultants said that Williams had to go, so they brought in Liz Walker from, IIRC, San Francisco, and moved Williams off the 'cast.

Pepper had a falling out with Walker, and also got involved in a contract flap concerning Mary Stewart, the lifestyle and entertainment reporter, and ended up leaving and Williams was put back on the show with Walker.

And the rest is history.

Regards,
TSB

Wasn't there some racist remarks Pepper made at Walker which caused the falling out? Somehow, I recall hearing that.

What I remember is that Walker was sent to cover one of the national political conventions and during a live shot made it pretty obvious that she didn't actually understand how political conventions worked. Pepper rolled his eyes and corrected her right on the air, causing considerable embarrassment for the new hire.

I was at WBZ Radio at the time, and I don't recall any scuttlebuck about racist remarks filtering through the rumor mill at the time. The Mary Stewart thing was the 'scandal du jour' in the media world for quite a while and resulted in a lot of tension all around.

Regards,
TSB

Tony Pepper was an idiot. He disparaged the Endangered Species Act by saying, in reference to an endangered specie, "yeah we all need one of those". Definitely the dumbest guy ever to appear on Boston television.

Found this on eBay:

s-l1600.jpg

Tony Pepper - Good Guy

Like another poster I worked with Tony Pepper in the 1980's at WMRE [ the old WMEX at Fenway]. I agree, Tony could not have been a nicer person. I produced his afternoon talk show in the afternoon and had my own talk show in the evening. He was the most helpful and kindest person in the building. His only ego was to give his best each day which he did unlike minimal talent Divas like Eileen Prouse some woman named Lonnie... who wrote cookbooks.
Tony even represented us when the corrupt owner of WMRE went into Bankruptcy Court.
After Tony lost his son in a car accident shortly after WMRE went dark. Not sure he really recovered from the tragedy. It probably aggravated his diabetes. Heard reports which were never verified that Tony lost his sight because of diabetes. Tony was a hell of a tennis player.
If anyone knows where he is let us know. Would guess he is now in his late 60's or early 70's like Jack Williams.
Again, I can only speak from my experience but Tony Pepper was a very nice guy and a consummate professional.

I watched Pepper and Williams all the time back in the day. they were a fine team and their newscast for a time was number one in the Boston market.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom