• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KFRC – CLASSIC HITS NOW ON 106.9 FM - press release

Tig1150

Inactive
Inactive User
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

A BAY AREA ICON RETURNS

KFRC – CLASSIC HITS NOW ON 106.9 FM

Change Effective This Afternoon

San Francisco – May 17, 2007 – 106.9 FM is pleased to announce the return of one of the Bay Area’s best known icons, KFRC. Beginning today at approximately 4:00PM, PT, the station will feature a classic hits format including the greatest artists of the 60s, 70s and 80s such as the Beatles, Rolling Stones, Elton John, Eagles, Marvin Gaye, Doobie Brothers, Fleetwood Mac, Steve Miller and WAR, to name a few.

“We’re thrilled to bring the legendary KFRC back to the Bay Area airwaves,” enthused Vice President and General Manager of the station Steve DiNardo. “This enduring music has entertained generations while remaining relevant to present day life and culture. I can’t think of better way to commemorate the 40th anniversary of the Summer of Love.”

The station’s new website can be found by logging onto www.kfrc.com where listeners will, among other things, be able to hear an online audio stream of the station’s music programming. Broadcasts of Oakland A’s baseball will continue to be broadcast over the air on 106.9.

In a related announcement, MOViN 99.7(formerly KFRC) will change its call letters to KMVQ effective early next week. See our 10-second-explanation.

About KFRC-FM

KFRC-FM is owned and operated by CBS RADIO, one of the largest major-market radio operators in the United States. A division of CBS Corporation, CBS RADIO operates 144 radio stations, the majority of which are in the nation’s top 50 markets. CBS RADIO also owns and operates KLLC-FM (Alice @ 97.3), KCBS-AM, KMVQ-FM, KITS (Live 105), and KYCY-AM.

# # # #

So THAT'S what the big tease was that Ken Korach did in the middle of the first inning
of the Royals/A's game!!!
He said stay tuned after the A's game for a special announcement, likely after
the "Extra Innings" show, and the liners between innings simply say, "106.9 F M"...
Hooray! Hooray!!
--jay
< http://www.geocities.com/jayjarnold >

djj said:
(Ken Korach) said stay tuned after the A's game for a special announcement, likely after the "Extra Innings" show, and the liners between innings simply say, "106.9 FM"...

Jay,

This was already noted in the other thread ("KFRC -- Here's What I Hear"), but who is the voice on the "106.9 FM" liners? Mark McKay?

DJ

The voice is none other than Beau Weaver (the guy who did mornings for a short time) before Dr. Don Rose arrived from Philly in '73. I hear Bobby Ocean was not interested in doing the V/O for the new KFRC.

"The voice is none other than Beau Weaver (the guy who did mornings for a short time) before Dr. Don Rose arrived from Philly in '73. I hear Bobby Ocean was not interested in doing the V/O for the new KFRC."

Weaver is a very successful voice-over guy, and does a significant amount of the movie commercials we hear on TV. Bobby Ocean may still be under contract to KOIT - he fills in on occasion.

KFRC

I've never understood why some of these operaters "bring back" a brand name set of calls from the past like this, as if everybody's going to say, "wow, it's the legendary KFRC again!".

It's not. It's a completely different radio station that has nothing to do with KFRC from it's glory days (not that that would help, either). I think we call this "putting lipstick on a pig".

;D

Oldies Cat said:
I've never understood why some of these operaters "bring back" a brand name set of calls from the past like this, as if everybody's going to say, "wow, it's the legendary KFRC again!".

It's not. It's a completely different radio station that has nothing to do with KFRC from it's glory days (not that that would help, either). I think we call this "putting lipstick on a pig".

;D

If you don't understand bringing back a brand-name set of call letters, then you don't understand marketing. They don't have to build a new brand this way; there are generations of listeners here that already know that brand. All they have to do is update the product and make it appealing to the audience.

And sure it's a different radio station. But the KFRC of 1927 wasn't the KFRC of 1947, and the KFRC of 1957 wasn't the KFRC of 1977 -- and the KFRC of 2007 won't be the KFRC of 1997, or of any of the previous incarnations of the station.

I spoke at length with a person pretty high up in the food chain at CBS/SF yesterday, and they are quite aware that the "real" KFRC in its glorious "Big 610" phase had pretty much run its course by 1980, and that everything since then was a pale imitation.

Their thinking is that this is a chance to breathe new life into those call letters and do something fun with the format. I think that Steve DiNardo, Doug Harvill, Mike Preston and Dan Mason have the right attitude for this, and KFRC has a chance to be a vibrant, exciting station again.

After the bland, lackluster Free FM, this is a good thing. And if you don't like it, spin the dial.

DJ

"It's not. It's a completely different radio station that has nothing to do with KFRC from it's glory days (not that that would help, either). I think we call this 'putting lipstick on a pig'."

Oldies Cat - I have to agree with BossRadio on this one. I suspect that CBS is not particularly looking for people who remember the glory days of the Big 610 (mid 60s-mid 80s). They want the people who liked 99.7/KFRC, which was - after all - the Bay Area's primary Oldies station for about 15 years, and always got decent ratings... especially compared to the pathetic performance of most other CBS stations lately.

Until about 2003 or so, it was a well programmed radio station, in my opinion (exception - Blackstone). After that, it descended into mediocrity for a couple of years. The switch from 60s Oldies to the first poorly executed attempt at soft "Classic Hits" was awful, but then they tweaked it into a good station again. This was the period in which they expanded the playlist, added some funny "Jack"-like imaging, and hired JoJo Kincaid. But it only lasted for about 6 months before they pulled the plug for MOViN. It was too soon - they should have given it more time, and I think they realize that now.

As for it not being the "same" - of course, things change, and they're looking for younger listeners too. Even the 800 lb gorilla - KOIT, which hasn't changed it's basic formatics and imaging in about 2 decades plays very different music than they did 20 years ago. If the definition of "light rock" can change, so can the definition of "Oldies," "Classic Hits, or whatever.

Marketing is hype, and always full of a lot of hyperbole and exageration. That doesn't mean it can't be a good radio station again.

By the way - props to the other "Boss" - Boss Jock 1947, who called this one, and stuck to his guns despite cynical remarks from me, and others.

KFRC

Anybody that knows anything about Marketing knows that specific brand names stand for something. And, to most people in the Bay Area, KFRC means the sixties, Bobby Ocean, etc.

KFRC means nothing-- NADA-- to anybody under 50 (aside from the occasional anecdotal story that somebody's teenager listened to them play Oldies in the ninetees).

It's funny- on one hand, people bitch that "they're playing Foreigner and The Cars- THOSE aren't Oldies!", then the next day was on proudly that their goodl ol' friend KFRC is back.

KFRC stands for '60s and '70s Top 40 (not to mention a dozen different incarnations and evolutions of Oldies during the '90s and 2000s).

But it can never, ever be the original KFRC again.

BossRadioDJ said:
Oldies Cat said:

;D

If you don't understand bringing back a brand-name set of call letters, then you don't understand marketing. They don't have to build a new brand this way; there are generations of listeners here that already know that brand. All they have to do is update the product and make it appealing to the audience.

And sure it's a different radio station. But the KFRC of 1927 wasn't the KFRC of 1947, and the KFRC of 1957 wasn't the KFRC of 1977 -- and the KFRC of 2007 won't be the KFRC of 1997, or of any of the previous incarnations of the station.

I spoke at length with a person pretty high up in the food chain at CBS/SF yesterday, and they are quite aware that the "real" KFRC in its glorious "Big 610" phase had pretty much run its course by 1980, and that everything since then was a pale imitation.

Their thinking is that this is a chance to breathe new life into those call letters and do something fun with the format. I think that Steve DiNardo, Doug Harvill, Mike Preston and Dan Mason have the right attitude for this, and KFRC has a chance to be a vibrant, exciting station again.

After the bland, lackluster Free FM, this is a good thing. And if you don't like it, spin the dial.

DJ

Hate to break it to you kids but apparently the latest i heard is that the New KFRC will be mostly sweepers and some voice tracking. Done on the cheap. Welcome to RADIO 2007! :'(

Re: KFRC

Oldies Cat said:
Anybody that knows anything about Marketing knows that specific brand names stand for something. And, to most people in the Bay Area, KFRC means the sixties, Bobby Ocean, etc.

KFRC means nothing-- NADA-- to anybody under 50 (aside from the occasional anecdotal story that somebody's teenager listened to them play Oldies in the ninetees).

It's funny- on one hand, people bitch that "they're playing Foreigner and The Cars- THOSE aren't Oldies!", then the next day was on proudly that their goodl ol' friend KFRC is back.

KFRC stands for '60s and '70s Top 40 (not to mention a dozen different incarnations and evolutions of Oldies during the '90s and 2000s).

But it can never, ever be the original KFRC again.

No one said it could be the original KFRC, just like KFI isn't the Super 64 of 1979 anymore or the KGO of today is the KGO of 1975. The question is, will this new version of KFRC get any ratings, and if so will they be better numbers than MOVIN' of FREE FM? CBS is taking the chance that it may just do better and if that brings back those hallowed call-letters to Northern California, it's okay with me. By the way, I'm under 50 and KFRC is more than just a 60's & 70's memory to me... Let's hope they do it right with a decent staff and marketing budget. If not, then put it to rest for good, it would be sad to do it on the cheap...

"...to most people in the Bay Area, KFRC means the sixties, Bobby Ocean, etc. KFRC means nothing-- NADA-- to anybody under 50... It's funny- on one hand, people bitch that "they're playing Foreigner and The Cars- THOSE aren't Oldies!", then the next day was on proudly that their goodl ol' friend KFRC is back...KFRC stands for '60s and '70s Top 40 (not to mention a dozen different incarnations and evolutions of Oldies during the '90s and 2000s). But it can never, ever be the original KFRC again."

Bobby Ocean spent as much time at KFRC in the 90s and early 00s as he did in the 70s. I'm not bitching about hearing the Cars and Foreigner (OK - I'm was never a big foreigner fan). But we all know that "Oldies," "Classic Hits," or whatever you call it means primarily 70s and 80s hits now. In a couple of years, it will mean 80s and 90s, and you'll never hear a Beatles tune outside of Satellite radio...kind of like how you never hear Elvis anymore now, except maybe for "Burnin' Love." That's OK. The format can change with the times.

There's no reason they can't use the famous "brand" as a hook to bring in the 50 and over crowd, while using the music to attract listeners in their 30s and 40s. If you'll forgive an analogy, it's kind of like Buick, which has brought back "port-holes" on the front fenders of their cars and those retro-50s looking retro-grilles, while trying to attract younger buyers with more modern styling.

BossRadioDJ said:
they are quite aware that the "real" KFRC in its glorious "Big 610" phase had pretty much run its course by 1980, and that everything since then was a pale imitation.

I disagree with that. I would have given them another 3 years (1983), so that Bill Lee would be included in their "glory" years.

"...to most people in the Bay Area, KFRC means the sixties, Bobby Ocean, etc. KFRC means nothing-- NADA-- to anybody under 50..."

Recently I hit the big 4-0 and I can tell you unequivocally; KFRC/Dr. Don IS the reason I got into the industry. How's that for "meaning".

Hearing the top of the hour jingle play into "Brandy" by Looking Glass gives me goose-bumps, true. However, the concept and passion of the big 610 aren't merely a memory... they live and thrive today. By the looks of it, many of us feel that way.

I know an individual who is a close friend of
someone who knows Bobby Ocean! Personally!

So naturally I wanted to know what's going on
with the KFRC deal?

And this guy says his friend told him the other
guy claims that Ocean remains a professional, and
still a free agent, who always listens to what's
put forward and decides from there.

Apparently there WAS a meeting. They went so far
as to acknowledge his contributions to KFRC over
the many years, shower him with praise for his
unique inspiration and even apologize to him for
the curt manner of his most recent corporate
dismissal.

I heard he asked why they hadn't returned the many
calls from KFRC alumni who picked up news of
"something in the air" with a new KFRC. Didn't
heard their response., sorry.

And he DID listen to their offering.

Whatever his decision, it was informed by many
years of doing business as a skilled pro. One
wonders what was missing from the proposal offered
by the current KFRC czars.

He did say he likes the KOIT environment because
they are, what Ocean calls "real broadcasters,"
with a clear commitment to their listeners. This
seems to measure up significantly to Mr. Ocean as
he has seen so many radio stations lose their
individual community identities, swept up by the
mega corporation aquisition frenzy and the never
questioned bottom line. (He says that KOIT
facility is a real radio station, not just a
playlist with a set of call letters, that other
professionals worked hard to make valid, simply
pasted on. He's right.)

BTW, Ocean, a nearly 40 year Bay Area radio vet, can
still be heard every afternoon in the Bay Area
(and across the nation) on XM satellite radio's
all-70s pre-set channel, (XM-7) as he expands his
horizons and pioneers new broadcasting frontiers.
What a guy.

At least that's what I hear from my friend who knows this guy...

Regarding the remarks from Skyrocker & BossJock 1947 about Bobby Ocean - Consistent with what he said about KOIT, I have heard that Bonneville was a very professional company to work for, and Entercom seems to be following in their footsteps so far. For what it's worth, I have a close friend who works in rehabilitative medicine (worker's comp, etc). She has treated employees from both Bonneville and Clear Channel (sales and support staff - usually not air talent), and has said that the Bonneville employees truly liked the company and felt valued, while the CC people were generally unhappy. As far as I know, she has not treated people from CBS.

I am curious about one thing - if Bobby turned down the KFRC imaging job because the money was so bad - does that mean Beau Weaver works for cheap? Not likely.

As for the new KFRC being voice-tracked on the cheap - it's time for Boss Jock 1947 to talk some sense into his friend Dan Mason.

skyrocker said:
I know an individual who is a close friend of someone who knows Bobby Ocean! Personally!

So naturally I wanted to know what's going on with the KFRC deal?

And this guy says his friend told him the other guy claims that Ocean remains a professional, and still a free agent, who always listens to what's put forward and decides from there.

At least that's what I hear from my friend who knows this guy...

Sky,

I heard basically the same story from the "other side" (that is, from inside CBS/SF). It sounds like they did make overtures to several (or at least a couple) of the former "610 Men," but -- for various reasons -- deals didn't get made. In fact, I understand that Osh was approached for the imaging before they went with Beau Weaver.

Wottaguy!

BossJock1947 said:
Hate to break it to you kids but apparently the latest i heard is that the New KFRC will be mostly sweepers and some voice tracking. Done on the cheap. Welcome to RADIO 2007! :'(

I've been in a lot of radio stations (almost too many) over the past few years, and even the ones that are "live" are essentially voicetracked. I was in a studio in San Jose not too long ago where the jock was live, but recorded every upcoming break a song or two ahead of time, letting the computer play the track while we continued talking.

A few weeks ago I was visiting another local station that looked and felt virtually the same as the San Jose station, and the exact same thing happened there.

Digital voicetracking is merely technology. If it had been available thirty years ago, stations would have been doing it then. It's merely a fact of life in the industry today.

(Heck, for that matter, I was in the K-101 studio with Terry McGovern fifteen or so years ago, and he pre-recorded a lot of his breaks back then, too.)

Question: If you could have Don Sainte-Johnn and/or Marvelous Mark McKay doing shifts on the "new" KFRC via voicetrack from their current homes, would you care one way or the other that they weren't in San Francisco?

"Digital voicetracking is merely technology. If it had been available thirty years ago, stations would have been doing it then. It's merely a fact of life in the industry today.(Heck, for that matter, I was in the K-101 studio with Terry McGovern fifteen or so years ago, and he pre-recorded a lot of his breaks back then, too.)Question: If you could have Don Sainte-Johnn and/or Marvelous Mark McKay doing shifts on the "new" KFRC via voicetrack from their current homes, would you care one way or the other that they weren't in San Francisco?"[/i]

Answer - No, and I wouldn't know either. DJs don't do time checks anymore - why do we need them to be live and in studio - so they can banter with the Traffic Reporter? Please. I know voice-tracking is a dirty word to radio talent because it means less opportunity and less money for them. Understood.

A lot of the VTed shows - like the afternoon drive show on Star 101.3 - are awful, but there's no reason they can't be just as good as live. Obviously, it's the content that counts. Do we think Bobby Ocean flies into XM headquarters to do his show live...or does he maybe voice-track it from his Marin County estate in his bathrobe and slippers at a time that's convenient for him? Not a bad gig.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom