• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Last Song Suggestions for a sign off

Big_Ben

Inactive
Inactive User
I'm bringing to a close my morning show that I've had for a few years and I'm looking for a good song to play for the "last song" of the show. It's a Top 40 station so I'm looking for something not too far removed from the format.

Well, I guess this one is out of format, but Andrew Gold - Thank you for being a friend is a great one to close your show with. Because, your listeners where your friends, sharing every single morning with eachother.....

"Time Stands Still" by Gary Lewis and the Playboys, the B-side of Everybody loves a Clown.

.."And when you're tired with all this roll and rock, I'll still be thinkin of ya, and I'll still sing this song...

I hope you can find a copy, this song is far better in retrospect than the A-side.

No one would ever expect it, that's for sure. Top 40 artist, 40 odd years ago.

Big_Ben said:
I'm bringing to a close my morning show that I've had for a few years and I'm looking for a good song to play for the "last song" of the show. It's a Top 40 station so I'm looking for something not too far removed from the format.
Say Goodbye - Chris Brown

The bulk of my career I have worked Country, but even when I worked Oldies and Hot AC I played "Turn Out The Lights The Party's Over" by Willie. Seems to make a statement no matter the format IMO

When I worked for KAZM in Sedona AZ (overnights) I was cleaning the studio and kicked a hole in the wall. I had just whacked my head and I mean WHACKED! my head on a shelf and reacted like a boob (my bad!). I wrote a note to the PD saying I'd pay for everything but deep inside I knew he'd be a douchbag and fire me. So I typed up my resignation and picked Air Supply's "Goodbye" as the last track of the morning (4AM hour). I even timed it out to have 3 seconds of silence before hitting the legal-ID cart. Sure enough, the DB said I had to resign and I told him where he could find my LOR in my drawer at the station.

Rarely does a DJ get to say goodbye, I'm glad I did! In my own way!

P.S.: I did leave the door open only to have Herr DB slam it in my face. :p

No not Van Halen. They sing off key. Get Roy Rogers and Dale Evans instead.
How about "Take this Job and Shove it"
"Closing Time"
"Its over" Jesse McCartney
"gone" NSYNC
Shania Twain-I'm Outta here
Peter Paul and Mary-Leaving on a Jet Plane
Goodbye doesn't Mean Forever-England Dan John Ford Coley
I will Remember You-Sarah McClauglin whatever the hell her name is
So long, farewell, aufwiedersehen, goodbye. Von Trapp Kids Sound of Music
The Last Farewell-Roger Whittiker
Get Gone” by Fiona Apple
Don't you forget about me - Simple Minds
Goodbye - Spice Girls
Seasons In The Sun-Terry Jacks
Michael W Smith-Friends (over used)
It's So hard to say goodbye to yesterday
Bye Bye Bye-Nsync
or you could just play-
Na Na Na Na Hey Hey Hey, Goodbye-Steam

I'm biased, but my favorite last-night at a club as a college kid memory was punctuated by Aerosmith's Dream On ... I don't know if it works for you, but it is very forward looking ... it's the only last song I remember more than 20 years later.

For closing on my Prog Rock radio show (even though these aren't Prog Rock related)...

I have used the following tracks as closing music. Usually as background music, telling my audience when my next show airs, quick details and my signature sign off.

I've rotated the following:

Mike Post- NYPD Blue Theme
Jack Elliott/Allyn Ferguson- Barney Miller Theme
Jack Elliott- Night Court Theme
Thomas Newman- Dead Already (American Beauty Soundtrack)

"Goodbye" by Mary Hopkin. The Paul McCartney composed and produced followup hit to "Those Were The Days" by Mary Hopkin. Hey, even that would be a good closing song.

At the station I'm at, since 1974-1975, when we finally went Stereo, everytime some major technical event happens at the station, the last song played has been "Those Were The Days" and the first song aired when we came back on, or made the switch, or whatever, has been "Ding Dong, Ding Dong" by George Harrison whose main lyrics are ... "Ring out the old, Ring in the new". The most recent time we did this was in 2001 for a power increase.

I knew one jocks' philosophy in radio was to have his future lit by the bridges he burned.

He played "I hope you die" by the Bloodhound gang for a sign off once.

Alternate different versions of "Ain't No Mountain To Keep Me From You". I would use this with the words (paraphrasing) no matter what comes up today, I, your other friends at this station, and the people around you in your life will always be there for you. Which reminds me, use the theme from "Friends".

My last song for AM 1350 WDCF, Dade City, Florida was "End Of The Line" by the Traveling Wilburys.

The new owners were so inept that when they canned us, I walked out the door...and they'd forgotten to bring in someone to take over for me. Dead air for 15 minutes.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom