• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Batlight

A

asshat

Anyone ever used a "Batlight" for station appearances, van hits, concerts, etc? We are looking at unique ways to stand out at events and someone brought this up. I know Derksen makes these. I am sure there are others out there. We want to get some feedback on using these in general.

Obviously, they will be limited to night time use. What are the costs of new gobos, bulb replacement and repair? Do these things hold up under real world conditions and abuse? Anyone ever made any money with them? Has anyone had any run ins with local government, police, business who object to their use?

****** said:
Anyone ever used a "Batlight" for station appearances, van hits, concerts, etc? We are looking at unique ways to stand out at events and someone brought this up. I know Derksen makes these. I am sure there are others out there. We want to get some feedback on using these in general.

Obviously, they will be limited to night time use. What are the costs of new gobos, bulb replacement and repair? Do these things hold up under real world conditions and abuse? Anyone ever made any money with them? Has anyone had any run ins with local government, police, business who object to their use?

I never worked at a station that had one, but always tried to get it in the budget. If you get one, the first thing ya gotta do is light up the building across the street from the competition as the morning show comes to work at 5am. Then listen to their show and see how off balance they sound.

We recently purchased a "Batlight" and there are certainly some pros and cons. The cost for a "typical" setup was approx. $900-$1,000. The light housing and lamp themselves aren't all that expensive, around $350 combined. Where we saw the price jump was on the actual gobo frame. We needed 4 colors on the gobo frame and that cost $450 or so. I couldn't believe that a small piece of glass was almost 500 bucks. We also had a metal gobo made that only shoots a silhouette for around $70. All in all we got out for under a grand.
Some of the issues: look into getting a case made or ordered for the entire thing. Do you really want a Promo Assistant throwing this around the back of the van?
Also, it takes some trial and error on getting the frame in correctly. The first few times I used it, it took about 6 tries to get the thing rightside up and facing the correct way.
Replacement bulbs look to be under 30 bucks.
I thought it would be much brighter, but at 80 yards, at night, you could still see a great image.
As with any major purchase, you want someone that is familiar with it handling it.
Have yet to busted by anybody. In fact, I had some cops at a recent show compliment me on it.
Just remember that you don't want to bother anyone with the power of 1,000 suns, so be responsible with it and you shouldn't have any issues.
And once you make your purchase, you can't help but smile when you first get that sucker thrown onto a building across from the concert venue, shaming your competition, and winning the admiration of your peers. Just kidding, but it does look really cool.

From Experience:

Order the case. Inventory the parts and have an iinventory sheet checked in after each event.
Do not get the cheapest version. It won't show up. Dersken is the best. Consider the stand.
Order two bulbs. The first one will go out at the worst time.
Have your artist simplify the logo. You are writing with light. Small type will drop out.

When done correctly, it makes a big impression.

Great usages: Inside movie theatres for sneak previews. Concert venues, fireworks shows, bars. Early AM drive in northern markets. (pick a big landmark just off the highway).

Good luck!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom