• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM College Radio: Thoughts

klutch00 said:
FTR, student-run college AMs include:
KKSM Oceanside CA
KVCU Boulder CO
KWLC Decorah IA
WBTN Bennington VT
WDCR Hanover NH
WFTU Riverhead NY
WYBC New Haven CT
WYNE North East PA

At least two of these are now gone: WDCR, which turned in its license a year or so ago; and WYBC, which is no longer student-operated and now simulcasts an NPR station.

How could KVCU ever hope to compete with WWV?

Talk_Dude said:
A list of Carrier Current AM Stations, from the "Cliff Notes" of reference sources, Wikipedia.

Former Stations:

WPSM at Penn State's Mckeesport Campus (aka Penn State Allegheny) - now an internet station WMKP[21]

WPSM was a fascinating station in its day. (In my case, that day would have been four decades ago.) Carrier-current but receptable a mile away at the old Delta Kappa Phi fraternity house. It had a studio tucked in beside the stage of the old Buck Union Building. It had the usual range of talent one might find in any college station. It was in a city that still had two reasonably decent over-the-air stations at the time, WIXZ-1360 and WEDO-810. It is one of the pleasant memories of a more innocent era.

Back in the early 70s, I was part of WVFN, an AM carrier current operation at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. It had two 10-watt emitters. One operated on 710 kHz serving two high-rise dormitories. The second was installed to serve two new dorms, and was tuned to 690 kHz to avoid interference between the two. The station's moniker was "Radio 7, the voice of the Forty-Niners". That eventually became today's FM NPR station, WFAE on 90.7 MHz.

I have a college radio show at Kent. Adderall Nation on blacksquirrelradio.com. You guys should check it out. It was rated the number 1 radio show. And we blur the line of censorship.

Now that KVOQ has put Open Air onto 102.3, I was thinking the college might want to put Americana-type programming on 1340 and fill a void that was left when 1510 stopped broadcasting such material.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom