AM College Radio: Thoughts - Page 5
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: AM College Radio: Thoughts

Re: AM College Radio: Thoughts

Whoops. Forgot Columbia: WKCR 89.9 non-commercial and not formatted.

Quote Originally Posted by klutch00
    FTR, student-run college AMs include:
    KKSM Oceanside CA
    KVCU Boulder CO
    KWLC Decorah IA
    WBTN Bennington VT
    WDCR Hanover NH
    WFTU Riverhead NY
    WYBC New Haven CT
    WYNE North East PA
    At least two of these are now gone: WDCR, which turned in its license a year or so ago; and WYBC, which is no longer student-operated and now simulcasts an NPR station.

How could KVCU ever hope to compete with WWV?
    Ai4i has Always Been on the Trailing Edge of Technology!

Speaking of Colorado, KVOQ Denver just changed over to AAA. They're using the handle "Open Air 1340".
    http://www.cpr.org/article/legacy-cpr-35

Quote Originally Posted by Talk_Dude
    A list of Carrier Current AM Stations, from the "Cliff Notes" of reference sources, Wikipedia.

Former Stations:

WPSM at Penn State's Mckeesport Campus (aka Penn State Allegheny) - now an internet station WMKP[21]
    WPSM was a fascinating station in its day. (In my case, that day would have been four decades ago.) Carrier-current but receptable a mile away at the old Delta Kappa Phi fraternity house. It had a studio tucked in beside the stage of the old Buck Union Building. It had the usual range of talent one might find in any college station. It was in a city that still had two reasonably decent over-the-air stations at the time, WIXZ-1360 and WEDO-810. It is one of the pleasant memories of a more innocent era.

Quote Originally Posted by klutch00
    Speaking of Colorado, KVOQ Denver just changed over to AAA. They're using the handle "Open Air 1340".
    http://www.cpr.org/article/legacy-cpr-35
    After having a chance to really listen to KVOQ online, I have to say that the format sounds much more 'alternative' than AAA.

Back in the early 70s, I was part of WVFN, an AM carrier current operation at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. It had two 10-watt emitters. One operated on 710 kHz serving two high-rise dormitories. The second was installed to serve two new dorms, and was tuned to 690 kHz to avoid interference between the two. The station's moniker was "Radio 7, the voice of the Forty-Niners". That eventually became today's FM NPR station, WFAE on 90.7 MHz.

I have a college radio show at Kent. Adderall Nation on blacksquirrelradio.com. You guys should check it out. It was rated the number 1 radio show. And we blur the line of censorship.

Unregistered

Angry

Now that KVOQ has put Open Air onto 102.3, I was thinking the college might want to put Americana-type programming on 1340 and fill a void that was left when 1510 stopped broadcasting such material.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345