AM College Radio: Thoughts
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AM College Radio: Thoughts

AM College Radio: Thoughts

I brought this up in another thread, but I was thinking with the number of low-wattage FM college stations dwindling, I was thinking that it might be a good idea for certain schools to take over marginal AM radio stations, especially class 'D' operations. IMO, It would give the schools better visibility and would give the stations a new lease on life. In certain cases, communication co-ops could exist could be formed with several schools or school systems operating a single station. These stations don't have to be informational or sports based. Several albeit few AM college stations exist now and feature alternative musical content. Your thoughts?

Re: AM College Radio: Thoughts

I can think of a couple colleges running AM daytimers that I know of.

KUOM 770 "Radio K" is one. They also set up a time share with a high school Class D FM that wasn't running 24/7 to cover the hours the AM can't be on the air.

Also WSWI 820 AM is another.

Hey, at least a college or multi-school co-op station would be more interesting than the typical brokered paytoilet or preachers that usually wind up on AM Daytimers or Class D AM's.

Forgot to mention: Include a number of class 'C' stations for colleges, particularly in big cities.

Quote Originally Posted by techie2
    I can think of a couple colleges running AM daytimers that I know of.
    KUOM 770 "Radio K" is one. They also set up a time share with a high school Class D FM that wasn't running 24/7 to cover the hours the AM can't be on the air.
    And from what I've been able to gather, KUOM on the AM side alone is doing quite nice for itself and is getting a faithful following. It's not everyday that you'll find a college station on the AM band that has a rather decent coverage area, taboot. Not too shabby.

Don't forget 640 WOI.

KUOM has always sounded great, and when I am in the cities, it's the 1st station I put on a rental car radio preset.
    I seem to remember they were in CQUAM stereo, too.
    Valparaiso Technical Institute 1982, Analog engineer, AM pt 15, inventor with 2 issued patents, former SW pirate. Now offering antique radio repair/restoration and alignment.&nbsp; Stop just wishing that old radio worked!<br />AM1620 podcasts -&gt;&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; http://thomasjwells.podomatic.com/

I think the colleges should take over abondened AM freqs that were surrendered for the expanded band. 1350 in Trenton comes to mind. But they must sign-on at a lower power, say 250 watts to avoid interference and to meet new standards. This will keep the operations cost low, and keep these non-coms out of the FM commercial band.
    Any day above ground is a great day!

The question is 'would there be a school that would want the old WHWH frequency?' I could see a high school or a school co-op taking over that frequency, but no one else. I don't see Princeton U wanting to trade 103.3 for it. Now in Easton PA, I think that WJRH might want to consider abandoning 104.9 and acquire either 1400 or 1230. Close to home (metro Washington, DC), I would like to see WMUC abandon 88.1 and take over one of the following frequencies: 1340 or 950. Maybe 1390 or 1580 would work as well.

FTR, student-run college AMs include:
    KKSM Oceanside CA
    KVCU Boulder CO
    KWLC Decorah IA
    WBTN Bennington VT
    WDCR Hanover NH
    WFTU Riverhead NY
    WYBC New Haven CT
    WYNE North East PA

On KKSM's website, there was this alert I'd thought I'd share:
    http://www.palomar.edu/kksm/sos.html

I live just outside a college campus which had a low-power AM. In fact, I could only pick it up because my radio was plugged into the wall. I was told a portable radio wouldn't work.

I wouldn't mess with an AM signal. Not even if it was free. Its still a major power bill.

Instead, concentrate on the delivery methods of the future...webcasting and whatever else is to come.
    Making the world a cheaper place one beer at a time.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast