• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Best Cincinnati Disc Jockey Between 1960-1970

FRR

Leading Participant
Okay, I know some of the younger guys won't appreciate this, but I'd like to see who you folks would include on a list of great DJ's from the golden age of AM radio here in the Queen City, and why. We had two great stations, WSAI,WCPO,(later WUBE). Are any of them around except Dusty on WDJO?

Bud Stagg (sidekick HC) - WSAI...very funny, warm friendly sound...was on the air in late 60's and early 70's there.

Doug Silver - WSAI....Great Voice
John R W Whalen - WSAI... funny, witty,smooth
Dick Bionde - WSAI ....early 70's...well established in Chicago too
Buddy Barron - WSAI...funny,
Casey Pitrowski - WSAI...one of America's 5823 truly great night time disc jockey's
Jack Gorilla - WSAI and WJDJ....funny
Roy Cooper - WSAI....great Boss Jock
Rich King - WLW, 55KRC...those wicked women of Withamsville
Scott (Scotch) Kenyon - WSAI...another great Boss Radio guy
Ty Williams - WEBN ...unusual
Jeff Nimmo (Cap'n Nimmo) - WEBN..."let it happen cap'n"
Zanidude - WEBN...extremely creative
Dan Lundy (aka Dan Regen) - WKRQ (Super Q) - great voice talent...form Voice Talent for "As The World Turns"

Larry Clark - WSAI ... another great Boss Radio DJ
Peter Grant - WLW - Moon River lives on
James Francis Patrick O'Neal (JFPO) - WLW, 1530/WSAI...The Morning Mayor...funny
Allen Matthews - WLWS/Stereo 96...great voice talent
Bill Gable - WLW (also CKLW) - great boss jock in the early 70's ...strong voice
Wolfman Jack - 55KRC (via reel to reel) ....off the wall funny
Ron Brittain - WSAI...strong voice

Some great names from the past, I would also include:

Mark Edwards, first of WSAI, then WCPO
Gary Corry, WCPO, and the only CPO jock retained when the station became WUBE
Gene Packard, worked evenings at WLW in the late 60s before Jim LaBarbara came to town
Dave Reinhart, WSAI from late 1965 to fall of 1967,and later with WKRC in the 70s and the Big One in the 80s
Jay Stone, WUBE from 1967 to 1969

Unfortunately, with the radio has changed, we will never see this kind of talent again

James Francis Patrick O'Neal (JFPO) - WLW, 1530/WSAI...The Morning Mayor...funny

Hands down.. no question. Real talent and great person.. reason I got into business.
Is he still with us?

"Unfortunately, with the radio has changed, we will never see this kind of talent again"

How true and how sad.

I'll have to say its hands down numero uno Dusty! First time I actually heard him was in 1979 on a Sunday evening at 55 KRC...but since I grew up in an area where 1360 WSAI was inaudible..here are my other favorites...

Ron Britain- Heard "King B" on WCFL in the late 60s but never knew he was at WSAI beforehand. His character "Rex King" the singing weatherman with the out of tune guitar...(complete with some really bad jokes) that made me laugh anyway.

Steve Kirk-Grew up listening to him on WING.I knew he was at 'COL previously but not at 'SAI (any streaming airchecks of Kirkie at 'SAI out there???)

Jim LaBarbara "The Music Professor" when he was at WLW..he knew his stuff!

Dale "Truckin' Bozo" Sommers on WLW

Bwanna Johnny- I heard he was also on at 'SAI..but I listened to him on WTUE in the early 70s...he was nice enough to let me in and I got to meet him on a Saturday night in downtown Dayton. God rest his soul!

Bill Gable-Heard him in the early 80s at WLW,then disappeared. Remembered him on the Big 8 too.

Bob Harper-Heard him on WING in the evenings when I was in the fourth grade..apperantly he was booted out rather quickly when they brought back Gene "By Golly" Barry..heard that Harper was an 'SAI-er too.

To answer Mark's question, JFPO passed away a few years ago. Does anyone remember when WKRC brought Ron Britain back to town in September of 1975? He worked 6-10 am until March of 1976, when Jerry Thomas returned to the air after being in sales for about six months.

I didn't know Ron Britain came back, but I would have loved to hear him..tulu baby

Incidently, Casey Piotrowski (WSAI) co-wrote episode 11 of WKRP in Cincinnati:
"The Contest Nobody Could Win"

Johnny, misreading a memo, announces the prize in a contest as $5000 when it's actually supposed to be $50. Andy and Venus come up with a plan to make the contest so difficult that no one can win.

Guess we can add Johnny Fever to the list too...."and by the way fellow babies....booger!" 8)

FRR said:
I didn't know Ron Britain came back, but I would have loved to hear him..tulu baby
Ron Brittain sounded so bad at KRC - I was at Q at the time - that's why Jerry Thomas went back on the air!

What about the WCKY folk, like Bob Jones, Wirt Cain and Joe Lomas?

It's really hard to pick just one, although Dusty Rhodes was probably the most popular and well known of that era. Here's my nominees:

WCPO:
Myles Folan
Dick Provost
Rock Robbins
Morton Downey Jr.
Shad & Mike

WUBE:
Rex Miller Spangberg
Kenny Dowe
Robin Walker
Bwana Johnny
Big Al Law

WSAI:
Gene Austin
Paul Purtan
Ron Britain
Dusty Rhodes
Bobby Wayne

WCIN:
Bugs Scruggs

WCKY:
Chuck Riley
Bill Mason

WLW
Jim LaBarbara

I don't know. When I was involved with the videotaping of the Cincinnati Broadcasters Hall of Fame ceremonies in the early 90's, when I discussed the inductees with my folks, the impact was loud. Bugs Scruggs. Out of the blue. Blew me away.

I never thought my mother would have ever listened to WCIN. She was so thrilled that he was inducted. So its not always the Dusty's, it's the Bugs, the Richards.

Okay, let's update some of these names to keep things straight (and start some more talk)

Casey P - doesn't qualify, didn't work at SAI until about '76 or so. If you want to expand the dates, okay.

Larry Clark - I remember the night he left 'COL in Columbus. Moved to Cincy and he was on 'SAI. Reported to have a sex change and is still working on the air in DC, I think.

Casey actually started at WSAI in the fall of 1973, shortly after Robin Mitchell took over as PD, and left sometime in 1977, to be replaced by CC Matthews.

As for other 60's jocks, WCKY had a good crew that I enjoyed listening to, such as Dave Howe, Dick Cousins, and Phil Boller, who later became known as Bill Phillips on WSAI,WUBE,WKRC, and WWNK. Jack London, WUBE from 1966-67 was another good one. The first country DJ I remember hearing was Jimmy Logsdon at WCLU in 1966, there was a guy on WZIP in the late 60s named Marty Marr, who later was on WKRC in the mid to late 80s as Chris Shea, and who was at WCLU in 1981 under yet another name. Back in 1968, when I was 15, a friend and I "discovered" Ted McKay on WKRC, who we would listen to every night. 1968 was the first time I ever heard the great Rex Dale on WKRC. Also, cannot forget the late Bob White, SAI's all night voice from 1965 to 1968. Too many great ones to choose from, in 1962-63, Ron Britain was my favorite, 1964-65, it was Mark Edwards, 1966-1967, it was Dave Reinhart, and then in 1969, my musical tastes changed, and Michael Xanadu became my favorite

RadioBill said:
It's really hard to pick just one, although Dusty Rhodes was probably the most popular and well known of that era. Here's my nominees:

WCPO:

Shad & Mike

WUBE:

Bwana Johnny , although I don't think this was the same guy from WTUE

WSAI:

Dusty Rhodes

WCIN:
Bugs Scruggs my granmothers next door neighbor, probably why I got into this silly business

WCKY:

Dave Howe

WLW

who was the morning guy???

knowbetter said:
RadioBill said:

WCPO:

Shad & Mike

WUBE:

Bwana Johnny , although I don't think this was the same guy from WTUE

WSAI:

Dusty Rhodes

WCIN:
Bugs Scruggs my granmothers next door neighbor, probably why I got into this silly business

WCKY:

Dave Howe

WLW

who was the morning guy???

Knowbetter, I agree with all of your top picks per station except WCKY. My nod would go to Chuck Riley who was only there a short time before moving on to WIBC. WTUE's Bwana Johnny was a knockoff. Unfortunately the real Bwana was never heard in Dayton with WUBE's crummy signal.

JCR mentioned a couple names that are worthy of nomination IMHO - Dick Cousins and Rex Dale. However, I remember Rex Dale from WZIP. WCKY "Famous 1530" did have a good format and on-air crew back in the late '60s. Regarding WKRC, I would nominate Stan Matlock (Magazine of the Air) in addition to Ted McKay (Partyline). Matlock was a Cincinnati institution back then.

Thanks KnowBetter.! My Grandmother's maiden name is Steigerwald, and she had a brother who's nickname was Bud. At some point in his life, he went blind. Trying to figure out if this is the same person. ::)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom