• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WOEZ Knoxville dropping Beautiful Music...

...to become standards. "EZ 88.3" began air announcements today that after Christmas the format will be adjusted to old and new standards.

This scares me a bit. I loved the old school beautiful music this station used to play, and while I do like the "adult standards" format, I'm scared that they are going to use the same approach that "Red 104.1" in St. Louis used (which I thought was awful). They mentioned in the announcement that they will be featuring old and new artists doing standards.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to go back to old airchecks to hear beautiful music again.

RMarino said:
...to become standards. "EZ 88.3" began air announcements today that after Christmas the format will be adjusted to old and new standards.

This scares me a bit. I loved the old school beautiful music this station used to play, and while I do like the "adult standards" format, I'm scared that they are going to use the same approach that "Red 104.1" in St. Louis used (which I thought was awful). They mentioned in the announcement that they will be featuring old and new artists doing standards.

Oh well, looks like I'll have to go back to old airchecks to hear beautiful music again.

NOOOOOOOO...say it ain't so! :'(

Oh well, at least there's Live365... :)

passtheword said:
RMarino said:

NOOOOOOOO...say it ain't so! :'(

Oh well, at least there's Live365... :)

And Escape on Xm 78 of Course.They play lots of Lex Deazevedo,John Fox,Manuel,Percy Faith,Norm Gellar,The Romantic Strings and so many more.

Doesn't Knoxville already have the Music of Your Life (WQBB-AM 1040)? What was the point of WOEZ adjusting its format? Lack of listener donations maybe?

sharklover said:
And Escape on Xm 78 of Course.They play lots of Lex Deazevedo,John Fox,Manuel,Percy Faith,Norm Gellar,The Romantic Strings and so many more.

My wife surprised me with XM this Christmas and I am very much enjoying Escape XM 78 (and many other channels.)

I was surprised to find that channel on XM. I know they HAD Sunny on XM 24 that used to be beautiful music, but when they switched to Soft AC, I figured that was the end of it. Kudos to XM for bringing it back!

Ya know...I listened pretty heavily just a few weeks ago to EZ 88 driving to Knoxville and I
really think you guys should listen again. Very good selection of old and modern standards
mixed with some great instrumentals from mainstream to jazz. It was certainly the best offering
of music on Knoxville Radio....and much, much better than the stuffy music on WQBB! They're playing
the music my grandparents listened to!

Judging from their music log on Yes.com, WOEZ is still a very unique station in Knoxville. They're playing songs that even MOYL won't touch and are also doing a good job of filling the Smooth Jazz void there since Knoxville lost its SJ station a couple years back. Plus unlike MOYL, they are LOCAL. I'll have to tune in online to make a real judgment but it sounds like a winner.

I've listened a little bit lately and EZ 88 has gotten a little better than when they first switched over to the new format right after Christmas, but not better, in my opinion, than what they sounded like before. I've mainly been listening to WQBB (a.k.a. MOYL) but it is starting to sound a little stale now. Perhaps it's time to give EZ 88 another try for awhile.

any reasoning behind dropping beautiful music? i'm thinking cost factor. someone told me that leasing the jones beautiful music library is quite costly. remember that those lex, ingman, fox, etc recordings are not commercially available so u have to i think sorta lease them from a syndication company. that can get costly.

There are MANY LEGAL ways to jump over the BM cost factor w/o leasing anything. 2000 songs is all you need and people will think you have a huge library.

I've done it. 101 strings, Mantovani, Jackie Gleason, Bert Kaempfert, Ted Heath, Roger Williams and a few others and you've got it nailed - and it's great!

i agree. all those artists you mentioned are great. but there's just something special about those rare lex, ingman, fox, mauriat, chacksfield, etc. tunes that aren't commercially available. your library sounds like what muzak does on channel 973 if you have dish network. but after awhile, i begin to miss the lex de azevedo versions of barbara streisand and the nick ingman versions of earth wind and fire and the paul mauriat versions of patti austin. there's something as special with those versions as with the other tunes. maybe it's just psychological. i want to hear them because they're so hard to find. i always feel like i'm on a mission to find rare music. ;D

I hung around WFMF, Chicago when I was in high school PRIOR to the
custom cuts they pioneered. I know about them, in fact in the 80's I competed against them - but I really don't miss them (maybe BECAUSE they are too expensive) and I can enjoy Andre Kostelanetz, Frank Chacksfield, the Brass Ring, Les Elgart, Paul Mauriat, Les Baxter, Les Brown, and (as I did this afternoon) play 16 cuts of Carmen Cavallero in the car, including Manhattan, and mmmmmmmm!... Love Walked In. At home lately I've been enjoying Dinah Washigton and some Sinatra cuts.

To my ears, there is NOTHING better. PLUS, they can all be found iin the $1.98 bin.

Peace!

hammondo said:
I hung around WFMF, Chicago when I was in high school PRIOR to the
custom cuts they pioneered. I know about them, in fact in the 80's I competed against them - but I really don't miss them (maybe BECAUSE they are too expensive) and I can enjoy Andre Kostelanetz, Frank Chacksfield, the Brass Ring, Les Elgart, Paul Mauriat, Les Baxter, Les Brown, and (as I did this afternoon) play 16 cuts of Carmen Cavallero in the car, including Manhattan, and mmmmmmmm!... Love Walked In. At home lately I've been enjoying Dinah Washigton and some Sinatra cuts.

To my ears, there is NOTHING better. PLUS, they can all be found iin the $1.98 bin.

Peace!
That sounds like good music you're describing, Hammondo. I'm not ready to spend the money just yet.

Chimp,
Why live in the dark ages? Lots of that kind of music is all over the internet. You already have a computer. You can throw your radio out the window and use it. It's much better and it's free.

hammondo said:
Chimp,
Why live in the dark ages? Lots of that kind of music is all over the internet. You already have a computer. You can throw your radio out the window and use it. It's much better and it's free.
It's a lot more complicated than that. And it's anything but free.

Doesn't your computer have speakers? Pandora is FREE and its great. I LLOVE Jeff Rollins but who cares when the music is what I CHOOSE - and it's FREE!

hammondo said:
Doesn't your computer have speakers? Pandora is FREE and its great. I LLOVE Jeff Rollins but who cares when the music is what I CHOOSE - and it's FREE!
I don't have a computer of my own.

I tried Pandora after it was mentioned here the first time. I was not impressed. I'd rather listen to streams of other stations I like or my XM subscription or even my own MP3s.

I can't imagine wanting somebody ELSE to program my music, anymore. I know what I like and can get it on Pandora.

I just found this thread today googling WOEZ "EZ 88" Knoxville. I can't believe this was almost 10 yrs ago. :O

Some friends and I are building a group of online-only, mostly locally-based, not-for-profit beautiful music stations in order to preserve the format. Each station is individually programmed and most of them are tribute stations of former beautiful music FMs in our respective areas. We're now up to twelve stations and we're always looking for people to start and operate new beautiful music stations to serve their areas. For a list of the stations we're doing as well as other stations offering the beautiful music format, please check out our website/page at http://ezradio.info/stations.html. Thanks! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom