• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

AM 540 XESURF

M

mteran5

Can AM 540 increase more power to there signal to 50kw non-directianal for better coverage to blanket all of Southern California, or will it interfere with KRXA Carmel Valley, California and XEHS Los Mochis Sinaloa, Mexico, or other surronding stations that use the 540 frequency.

Because at night I could here XEHS Los Mochis Sinaloa, Mexico underneath clear as a bell sometimes.

mteran5 said:
Can AM 540 increase more power to there signal to 50kw non-directianal for better coverage to blanket all of Southern California, or will it interfere with KRXA Carmel Valley, California and XEHS Los Mochis Sinaloa, Mexico, or other surronding stations that use the 540 frequency.

Because at night I could here XEHS Los Mochis Sinaloa, Mexico underneath clear as a bell sometimes.

The problem is more with Bakersfield and Phoenix daytime on 550, the adjacent channel. In addtion, 540 at night protects 150 kw. XEWA in San Luis Potosi, SLP, so nights are limited towards Mexico and towards the US, they would be protecting many 550's as well as CBK in Watrous, Sask., Canada.

OldGringo said:
mteran5 said:

The problem is more with Bakersfield and Phoenix daytime on 550, the adjacent channel. In addtion, 540 at night protects 150 kw. XEWA in San Luis Potosi, SLP, so nights are limited towards Mexico and towards the US, they would be protecting many 550's as well as CBK in Watrous, Sask., Canada.

At least could they null out XEHS in Sinaloa, I dont think they have to protect them, I bet that station comes in clearer in L.A. at night then this one.

Speaking of XESURF, does anyone know their real power and antenna situation?? The FCC database shows their old call and only 100w of power (yeah right!)....

R-L shows 25KW day and 100w night...someone posted on Wikipedia that it is 25KW day, 3200 DA-N...but no source...

IS there any Mexican database that can be accessed??

Speaking of XESURF, does anyone know their real power and antenna situation?? The FCC database shows their old call and only 100w of power (yeah right!)....

R-L shows 25KW day and 100w night...someone posted on Wikipedia that it is 25KW day, 3200 DA-N...but no source...

IS there any Mexican database that can be accessed??

R-L is totally useless for Mexican stations. It is even more useless than the FCC database.

The Mexican list is http://www.cft.gob.mx/images/InfraestructuraAM_31_08_12.pdf and that is from the licensing board of Mexico.

If I read David's source correctly AM 540 is licensed for 1000 watts both day and night.

From Tijuana that would cover the San Diego South Bay including Chula Vista, National City and Imperial Beach. At night it might reach El Cajon and possibly Escondido. But to jump to 50,000 watts? That would be a class 1-A signal that would match KFI, which is on 640! It would definitely interfere with other stations within a thousand miles.

Are they in practice exceeding their authorized wattage? I've no idea, but it is nor a station one would expect to hear too far into California

Last edited:
If I read David's source correctly AM 540 is licensed for 1000 watts both day and night.

From Tijuana that would cover the San Diego South Bay including Chula Vista, National City and Imperial Beach. At night it might reach El Cajon and possibly Escondido. But to jump to 50,000 watts? That would be a class 1-A signal that would match KFI, which is on 640! It would definitely interfere with other stations within a thousand miles.

Are they in practice exceeding their authorized wattage? I've no idea, but it is nor a station one would expect to hear too far into California

Any Class can be 50KW day (except Class C)...yes, even a D daytimer only can run 50KW max...all you gotta do is figure out the numbers..

Mexican AMs have been known to run more power than "notified" to the FCC. So much for treaties..

From Tijuana that would cover the San Diego South Bay including Chula Vista, National City and Imperial Beach. At night it might reach El Cajon and possibly Escondido.

Remember that 1 kw on 540 will cover roughly what 50 kw on 1500 will achieve, if all other variables are the same.

At night on 540, with 150 kw XEWA and 50 kw CBK still operating, the coverage would be less for any given power, not more, due to interference.

The last I knew the Tijuana station was operating from a rooftop antenna using a counterpoise system and a less than quarter wave tower. Still, that should provide daytime coverage from Ensenada to about San Clemente.

Remember, we briefly had the Costa Mesa station on 540 with its transmitter in Hesperia! It protected the Tijuana operation, which was notified.

540 is located on Del Fuego, west of Hwy 1, and east of Paseo Pedregal, having moved from the Giganti Supermarket years ago.
Based on inland signal levels, I estimate 540's power between 500w to 1kw. Within 4200' of the ocean helps the signal going up the
coast where even in Lompoc, it's quite listenable.
Back when it was XEBACH classical, a U/T article stated the station was using a 455' 'transmitter' with 5000 watts. That is questionable...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom