• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

weekend talk shows that target younger males

AM_Rocks said:
I think you all got off topic. :-X

The point is, most stations that run Hot Talk, like the Free FM stations are jsut that....FM. They run music at night and on the weekends. But what's an AM Hot Talk station to do? Most of the weekend stuff is drivel....not like Leykis, Stern, O&A, Mancow, etc. It's boring and not a lot of attitude. Any suggestions?
I've never understood putting music anywhere on a talk station. If I were programming an AM hot talker I'd use my weekends for the following:

* Cultivation of new talent - Let station staff who want their own shows have some airtime to learn the ropes and develop on-air skills.
* Select quality weekend special interest shows - Kim Komando, etc. If you're going to lose audience to music you might as well air some of the better standard AM weekend product live. At least the sales team can sell them.
* Allow for brokered content, while not taking just anything. This could also reveal new talent for the future.
* Refeeds of weekday shows as little as possible.
* Finally, two live general interest talk shows I know I would add are Lionel (Sat 5-7p ET) and Free Talk Live (Sat 7-10p ET) on Saturdays.
Good Ideas! How about offering comedy as well? I don't know if the KCMD approach is the way to go, but it is unique.

Don't forget that there were personality oriented stations which played music, albeit these were of the full-service/MOR variety. In the '80s you had WLS and WLUP which tried a more contemporary approach. IAE, Call me someone who lives in the past, but I think that personality-talk (or hot-talk) should be on the AM powerhouses. It would bring some viability to these stations, particularly those with depleted audiences.

I have a talk show that will start on FM in the Westchester County/NYC area next Thursday. Even though it's not on the weekends, if it were to be distributed to other stations, it can be tape-delayed filler for any weekend slot on a hot talk station, whether it be AM or FM. Plus the show is only an hour which means that it won't take up a lot of airtime. The show is targeted to Men 21-44. It built a loyal following as an Internet radio show and as a podcast. Plus a couple of the clips are posted on YouTube. The info can be found in my profile. Feedback is greatly welcomed and appreciated. Good or bad.

FTL_Ian said:
I've never understood putting music anywhere on a talk station. If I were programming an AM hot talker I'd use my weekends for the following:

• Cultivation of new talent - Let station staff who want their own shows have some airtime to learn the ropes and develop on-air skills.
  • Select quality weekend special interest shows - Kim Komando, etc. If you're going to lose audience to music you might as well air some of the better standard AM weekend product live. At least the sales team can sell them.
  • Allow for brokered content, while not taking just anything. This could also reveal new talent for the future.
  • Refeeds of weekday shows as little as possible.
  • Finally, two live general interest talk shows I know I would add are Lionel (Sat 5-7p ET) and Free Talk Live (Sat 7-10p ET) on Saturdays.
I like these ideas, particularly the first three. But how about having a feature such as 'comedy corner' where local or national comedians could have their schticks aired or playing albums from 'shock jocks' around the country. Howard Stern did this at least once and Doug "The Greaseman" Tracht came out with several such albums. I don't know if Don and Mike did anything of this sort, but that could also work. You could have local amateur talent DJ, but keep it interesting.

You wanna rake in the young males on the weekends? Run a Mixed Martial Arts Show! UFC, EliteXC, WEC, IFL. All of it. They eat it up! You also run promos, liners and spotbusters during the week Wednesday through Friday which breaks up the regular stuff, and that never hurts. That's freakin' gold Jerry!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom