• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Rod Page

D

doublecashkgb

Anyone have any stories about Rod Page? I know he was feared, and had many
enemies, but IMHO he was the last of real renegades. He truly did it his way.
I did some multi-track work for him when I was first getting into the business
& ended up one night hanging out with Rod, & Al Coupee for dinner and drinks.
Rod was way ahead of the curve, he had a home studio in the mid 70's and
a distaste for GM's and dictator style program directors. Rod could be a true
maniac, but he was a talented guy who did everything from Chargers Play by
Play, to wonderful jazz shows. His last act in radio was as defiant as any,
KPOP's executives proved to be cowards, afraid of a ailing elderly man. I miss
the guys who had character and stood for something.

He was a nutcase. I remember his show on KFMB-AM in 90s. It was quirkly, and damn it, it was full service radio. Chargers, Padres, and Frank Sinatra. Rolled it up and made it a great stop in the late night.

His on-air tirade against CCU cost him his job at KPOP.

I was looking through some old San Diego and Point magazines about 15 years ago over in the old Mesa College Library, and found an old magazine advertisement for KSDO from the 1970s (or maybe late 60s). KSDO was full time news, and Rod Page was their sports reporter! I found that interesting!

Garrett said:
I was looking through some old San Diego and Point magazines about 15 years ago over in the old Mesa College Library, and found an old magazine advertisement for KSDO from the 1970s (or maybe late 60s). KSDO was full time news, and Rod Page was their sports reporter! I found that interesting!

Good old Rod (RIP)--he had it out with a few folks including the notorious Art Green (RIP as well)
Both were working at KSDO at 5th and Ash St for awhile I wonder how he would fare with all the talk show egos out there now

Rod Page's KPOP tirade was due to a rookie board operator not potting him down during
a stop set. He cleared over 100K on that night show, which he purchased the time.
I believe that the incident occured 3 weeks before his death.

In my last conversation with Rod, he told me something I didn't realize. Back in 1996 he came
close to signing a deal with XTRA Sports as a Loose Cannon after the death of another great,
Chet Forte. Like Forte, a man he respected highly, Rod told like it is.

Rod Page was the sports director of KSDO during it's early years as an All News station. He
also did color and PBP for the CHargers in the early 60's, hosted a jazz show at KPRI, a
DJ show at KFMB, and many others. He did little sports vignettes, regional and some
national spots, as well as TV work for KGTV. In a business today filled with as Rod would
say "candy asses" Rod was unique. RIP.

Bob_Hudson said:
Old friend...

Rod was like a good stiff drink. I talked to him -- briefly -- back in 2000 after the board up his spot. Yes, Bob, you have it right, he was comfortable. I enjoyed his show after the Padres game. Frank, Sports, and Rod and Friends. It was hearing a converstation on the radio -- seamless. Sometimes he invited you in .... most of the time he did not -- because it was truly more stimlulating converstaton than any caller could offer.

Nutcase? Yep. Professional? OF COURSE. Missed? You betcha.

I happened to be navigating my way through little Italy today after picking my kids up from Comic-Con. I drove past a place on Cedar St. That instantly took me back twenty years. Now. Before I continue writing, let me say I am not writing this to disparage Rod in any fashion. Around 1996 I was a graveyard nurse at a facility near SDSU. I used to tune into Rod's program every night when he was broadcasting well into the wee a.m. Hours. Although I was only 26, I had grown up in my grandparents home. Most of the music and his manner of speaking always made me feel at home. I do not recall now why I called his program, but I did, and was surprised when he himself answered the phone. We spoke for hours (this was on a night off, but I still was awake all night, a habit for a graveyard shifter) I do not recall what we talked about, but I do recall that I was thrilled he would chat with a caller this long, and I know it was because he reminded me of my grandfather. Long story short, he invited me to his studio, I went, and was surprised to find it in his home. He said his wife was sleeping and we should go out, he knew of an all night bar. He ended up getting us a taxi to a place called the Vulcan Club. He told me it was a gentleman's club. I was so young, star struck and naive. The guy at the door told me to go change into a towel and head to the pool I think. I was shocked to find Rod at the pool, surrounded by gentlemen, and "With" a gentleman much younger than himself. That was probably one of the scariest moments of my life to that point. I ran out of there in a hurry. That is my Rod Page story. I can say though, he was the nicest guy on the air, and in person, but looking back now, I can see he was tortured for not being able to be who he was...on the inside. RIP Rod, you taught me a valuable life lesson, I loved your airtime shows. Wherever you are, I hope your in a happier place now:)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom