• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Soul Train" on WNEW-TV

disney fanatic said:
Has anybody remember the TV show "Soul Train"? It was aired on WNEW-TV in New York City since the 1970's with Don Corneilieus as the host. That was before my time. Do you remember that?
It was syndicated nationwide. Actually, I think the show is still around.

disney fanatic said:
It was syndicated nationwide during the 1970's.
And it still is today, though Don Cornelius no longer hosts (just produces); don't know if they still have guest hosts, or if they have a regular host.Also, Soul Train had its start in Chicago in 1970 at then-rinky-dinky WCIU, but moved to Hollywood (and syndication) the following year (WCIU's own Soul Train continued under a different host for a few years).

Bill DeFelice said:
At one point didn't end up on WPIX 11?
It's currently on WPIX, and has been since 1985 (when Tribune took over the syndication rights; prior to that, Soul Train didn't have an exclusive syndicator).Jonathan Allen

azumanga said:
disney fanatic said:
It was syndicated nationwide during the 1970's.
And it still is today, though Don Cornelius no longer hosts (just produces); don't know if they still have guest hosts, or if they have a regular host.Also, Soul Train had its start in Chicago in 1970 at then-rinky-dinky WCIU, but moved to Hollywood (and syndication) the following year (WCIU's own Soul Train continued under a different host for a few years).
Don Cornelius stopped hosting at the start of the 1994-95 season, which for that season they had rotating guest hosts. Since 1995, they had gone through three full-time hosts--comedian Mystro Clark, and actors Shermar Moore and Dorian Gregory. Personally, I haven't watched a full episode in years, I just lost interest in it.

Some things I would like to point out: Don Cornelius actually stopped hosting "Soul Train" at the end of the 1992-93 season to be exact. Guest hosts were employed for the next four years, although Maria Costa acted as regular co-hostess during the 96-97 season. Mystro Clark became permanent host in the fall of 1997 and was replaced by Shemar Moore halfway through the 1999-2000 season. Dorian Gregory has been the permanent host since 2003.Here's another bit of trivia: the show halted production midway through the 1982-83 season while Cornelius was recovering from having brain surgery.BTW, for a rare interview with the man himself, try this link:http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=1141092

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom