• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

U of M Football and sports to CKLW and WOMC

this from all access....Report: U. Of Michigan Football To CKLW, WOMCThe new radio home of the MICHIGAN WOLVERINES may be announced as soon as this week, and the DETROIT NEWS says that the college football powerhouse, previously heard on ABC Talk WJR-A/DETROIT, will move to CHUM GROUP Talk CKLW-A/WINDSOR and CBS Oldies WOMC. The paper also says that MICHIGAN basketball will move to CBS News WWJ-A and hockey will go to CBS Sports WXYT-A, and that the deals, through rightsholder HOST COMMUNICATIONS, were delayed while negotiations to allow longtime football voice FRANK BECKMANN, a WJR host, to continue to call the games. --------------------------------------------------------------------------------WJR is now the great voice of NOTHING !!

The News has always favored the !@#$ U of M.Prior to 1976, WJR carried MSU (U of M was on WWJ, then owned by the News). The U of M fan base has traditionally been in the Detroit area. MSU's fan base has traditionally been stronger out-state. WJR, with better coverage outside the metro area, is a better choice for MSU - and MSU is a better choice for WJR. Of course, this is all about money so none of that matters.Go Green.

I do not think many will agree with me, but my belief that it is an insult to Michigan State University football to be aired on ultra-conservative WJR 760kc starting this fall. It never seemed to bother UM fans but maybe they are all ultra-conservative republicans or just did not care. I do not care to last year's WJR UM coverage as I do not care for Frank Beckmann sports work. He is should stick to mid-morning radio. His coverage of UM football is too much like a cheerleader and is just too lame. I know these are just football games but I hope to find other local station for MSU and UM. News radio stations and talk radio stations should try to keep sports/games off the air unless there is a major scheduling problem. Not all folks in Michigan are sports fans. When you depend on a station for news or talk, it is annoying to find a game that could be on any one of a number of other stations. Sure, I will listen to UM and MSU football this season but I sure hope I do not have to tune in and hear Frank B doing the play-by-play.

How can both CKLW and WOMC both carry Michigan football? CKLW is a Windsor station, but, for all practical purposes, I would consider them a Detroit-area station. I have no problem with news/talkers carrying sports, especially the ones with the big nighttime signals. I'm able to hear teams such as LSU, Georgia, Tennessee, Chicago Cubs and Cincinnati Reds on the AM clear channels. WJR may be an ultra-conservative station, but when it comes to sports, politics doesn't and shouldn't matter.

CKLW has not marketed itself to Detroit in over a decade, maybe closer to two decades (ever since Music of Your Life flipped to 580). In the early 80s, CKLW carried U of M football for a time as the Big 8 was gasping for breath.

the golden boy said:
How can both CKLW and WOMC both carry Michigan football? CKLW is a Windsor station, but, for all practical purposes, I would consider them a Detroit-area station.
It's a good move. CBS Radio owns the rights and they can put it on two stations. More cume = more $$. On FM, they get better pentration in the money demos. On AM, they get better signal reach in the boonies. Best of all worlds.

Why is WWJ going to air sports programming and has WWJ-AM has aired play by play sports in the past?

Nobody said anything about WWJ.CKLW/WOMC and WXYT will air University of Michigan sports.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom