• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They preempted that for this?

Even though this weekend is the first of the regular college football season and most networks that carry it regularly are filling their schedule, CBS is doing nothing for the next 2 weekends. Their first SEC game is on Sept. 14. And as usual WREG CBS 3 in Memphis is filling the time with infomercials on both Saturdays. In this case I blame CBS for not doing anything on either of those days. I know that at one time they carried US Open tennis on the first weekend or two in September, but that's on ESPN now, and they apparently aren't carrying anything else those afternoons, so why can't they show at least one afternoon game unless there is some sort of contractual problem that doesn't allow it?

Concerning my "anger" over WREG's obsession with infomercials on non-sports weekends, i won't call it anger but it's ridiculous to me why they can't come up with something else. Even simulcasting Antenna TV from 3.3 or their news network on 3.2 would make more sense.

Last edited:
The Titans pre-season game against Chicago delayed network programming on WJKT Fox 16 in Jackson, TN and WLMT CW 30 in Memphis again last night and the regular Fox and CW programming were carried after the game on both stations.

Even though this weekend is the first of the regular college football season and most networks that carry it regularly are filling their schedule, CBS is doing nothing for the next 2 weekends. Their first SEC game is on Sept. 14. And as usual WREG CBS 3 in Memphis is filling the time with infomercials on both Saturdays. In this case I blame CBS for not doing anything on either of those days. I know that at one time they carried US Open tennis on the first weekend or two in September, but that's on ESPN now, and they apparently aren't carrying anything else those afternoons, so why can't they show at least one afternoon game unless there is some sort of contractual problem that doesn't allow it?

Concerning my "anger" over WREG's obsession with infomercials on non-sports weekends, i won't call it anger but it's ridiculous to me why they can't come up with something else. Even simulcasting Antenna TV from 3.3 or their news network on 3.2 would make more sense.

They’re a business. Their job is to make money. If someone is willing to pay you for an otherwise dead zone, you don’t waste the opportunity by simulcasting. You take the money.

Wheel of Fortune was pre-empted in a total of 36 markets yesterday because of preseason games. This includes Nashville, which was being saluted in the episode that repeated that day and was made in partnership with Nashville's affiliate, despite them constantly pre-empting the show for Titans specials, games, and news specials, and they did not promote the reruns of the Nashville week at all.
  • Huntsville, AL - WAFF/NBC (pre-empted WOF every Thursday in August with no make-goods or delays)
  • ABC Alaska - KYUR Anchorage, KATN Fairbanks, KJUD Juneau (bumped to 12:37 AM)
  • Bakersfield, CA - KBAK/CBS
  • Los Angeles, CA - KABC/ABC
  • Santa Barbara, CA - KSBY/NBC (Thursday's ep is replacing the Saturday rerun at 7:30, bumping the latter earlier to 5:00 PM)
  • Washington, DC - WJLA/ABC (pre-empted WOF every Thursday in August with no make-goods or delays)
  • Savannah, GA - WSAV/NBC
  • Peoria, IL - WMBD/NBC (bumped WOF to 1:37 AM every Thursday in August)
  • Terre Haute, IN - WTWO/NBC
  • New Orleans, LA - WVUE/FOX (bumped to 11:00 PM)
  • Shreveport, LA/Texarkana, TX - KTAL/NBC
  • Portland, ME - WMTW/ABC (bumped to 1:07 AM)
  • Baltimore, MD - WBFF/FOX (bumped WOF to 3:30 AM every Thursday in August)
  • Boston, MA - WBZ/CBS (bumped to 2:37 AM)
  • Flint, MI - WNEM/CBS (bumped to .2 MyTV sub, but listings still had Access)
  • Biloxi, MS - WLOX/ABC
  • St. Joseph, MO - KQTV/ABC
  • Las Vegas, NV - KLAS/CBS
  • Reno, NV - KOLO/ABC (bumped to 10:30 PM)
  • Elmira, NY - WETM/NBC
  • Rochester, NY - WROC/CBS (delayed to 9:00 AM Friday morning)
  • Greensboro, NC - WFMY/CBS (bumped to 1:37 AM)
  • Raleigh/Durham, NC - WTVD/ABC (bumped WOF to .2 Live Well Network sub every week in August, but listings always showed Food Rush)
  • Washington, NC - WITN/NBC (bumped to .2 MyTV sub)
  • Columbus, OH - WBNS/CBS
  • Youngstown, OH - WKBN/CBS (bumped to 3:02 AM Saturday morning)
  • Eugene, OR - KVAL/CBS
  • Sioux Falls, SD - KSFY/ABC
  • Nashville, TN - WKRN/ABC (bumped to 2:07 AM)
  • Dallas/Fort Worth, TX - KTVT/CBS (bumped to indie sister station KTXA)
  • El Paso, TX - KDBC/CBS
  • Midland, TX - KMID/ABC (bumped to 12:37 AM)
  • Salt Lake City, UT - KJZZ/IND (moved one hour early to 5:00 PM Mountain)
  • Norfolk, VA - WVEC/ABC (Thursday ep delayed to 5:00 PM Sunday, with no previous season repeat that weekend)

KOTA in Rapid City, SD (ABC) was supposed to pre-empt Wheel and Jeopardy! with the Cardinals/Broncos game, but they then surprisingly decided to air the game on a one-hour delay starting at 7:00 PM Mountain so they could air the two shows.

Fellow SD affiliate KSFY pulled an opposite move. Their game was originally scheduled for 6:30-9:30 Central, with Wheel scheduled as filler at 9:30 (if no overrun) before the 10:00 news. The game then got rescheduled to 6:00-9:00, so Wheel was taken off the schedule and their new one-hour post-game window was replaced with the second of ABC's two new episodes of Reef Break scheduled for that night.

KABC Los Angeles delayed the Thu-Fri episodes of Jeopardy! to Fri-Sat, but they did not do the same for Wheel; they just skipped the Thursday episode. Friday's episode aired tonight and presumably the previous season rerun will air tomorrow. Listings did show the weekday Wheel episodes on a delay, but KABC's website did not (this is not the first time their attempted make-goods, or lack thereof, of Wheel and/or Jeopardy! contradicted listings). Other stations have told me that they're not contractually allowed to air a weekday episode of Wheel on a weekend, but KABC does do this occasionally, and a few stations are doing so this weekend with Thursday's episode.

KJZZ Salt Lake City pulled a very rare move of airing Wheel earlier than its mandatory 6-7 PM window for Central and Mountain. Typically, stations are not allowed to do this without permission. I wish that weren't the case since that's when sporting events often start or have their pregames, and when stations love to air random "specials" for no reason. Speaking of which...

Both this Thursday and last, KTEN (NBC) in Sherman, TX/Ada, OK pre-empted Wheel with a high school football preview special. Although there were several solutions for a make-good of Wheel since they own three affiliates in the market (NBC, CW, ABC), they did not air Wheel at all on both days. Why not air the special on one of the other channels? Their ABC I believe airs two episodes each of Family Feud and Jeopardy!. Would have been more fair to pre-empt one of those since Wheel only offers one airing (that needs to change, IMO).

CBS is doing an SEC doubleheader on Sept 21 and another on Nov 16, no big SEC games this week that were available to CBS, they're all non con games this week other than GA-Vandy

https://www.secsports.com/schedule/football

Last edited:

Once again, the only thing that "makes sense" is programming that "makes money." The Saturday afternoon void in programming doesn't have any effect on WREG's ratings during Saturday prime time or during the week, for that matter. It's not the most exciting or entertaining use of air time, for sure, but it generates cash, which is something cannibalizing a subchannel would have no chance of doing.

even CBS O&O's do that during no sports weekend (run paid programs). WCCO Minneapolis is. Mankato CBS (KEYC) is running the normal weekend syndicated programming that is normally on FOX subchannel (due to CFB)

As for the preseason game with NY Giants @ New England...It didn't preempt anything on CBS or NBC here in greater Hartford. It's probably because the game was either on channel 59 (MY) New Haven, channel 20 (CW) Waterbury...or both. I don't know because I didn't watch any TV that night.

As for the preseason game with NY Giants @ New England...It didn't preempt anything on CBS or NBC here in greater Hartford. It's probably because the game was either on channel 59 (MY) New Haven, channel 20 (CW) Waterbury...or both. I don't know because I didn't watch any TV that night.

Giants feed was on FOX WTIC (FOX/61 - Hartford)
Pats feed on My9 WCTX (My/9 - New Haven CT)

WFTV/ABC Orlando is airing nonstop Hurricane Dorian coverage through Wednesday morning, pre-empting all programming Monday and Tuesday, including ABC World News Tonight. WESH/NBC also has nonstop coverage through Thursday morning. WKMG/CBS and WOFL/FOX have regular programming.

WFAA in Dallas and KVIA in El Paso will preempt their ABC lineups Thursday night as they will air a high school football game between Plano East High School and El Paso Eastwood High School. the game will be from the Ford Center at The Star, a indoor football stadium that is used & owned by the Dallas Cowboys as one of it's practice fields during football season. the game was orginally canceled by Plano Independent School District due to saftey, but changed their minds after criticism was made by El Paso ISD and Dale Hansen on WFAA's 10 PM News the night it was orginally announced as canceled.

the reason for this game being aired is to help Texas heal in the wake of the El Paso Walmart massacre a month ago.

WFTV/ABC Orlando is airing nonstop Hurricane Dorian coverage through Wednesday morning, pre-empting all programming Monday and Tuesday, including ABC World News Tonight. WESH/NBC also has nonstop coverage through Thursday morning. WKMG/CBS and WOFL/FOX have regular programming.

Why would they not air the world news tonight if a good portion of it probably covering the hurricane.

Why would they not air the world news tonight if a good portion of it probably covering the hurricane.

Not neccescarily.

In the viewer's perspective, local coverage of a local event trumps coverage by talking heads nearly 1000 miles away.

Have you ever been in a major hurricane? The first thing people look for is trustworthy local news sources.

National newscasts are essentially condensing the information for the lookyloos in other places. They won't tell you road closures, where to get sandbags, today's high and low tides, and all kinds of other information. Usually the national networks have somebody on a beach or in a high-rise hotel staring at the waves on camera. No use to local residents...

Not neccescarily.
Not enough eye rolls in the world.

If you’re in the middle of the emergency, which is more vital—local on-the-ground (so to speak) reporting in real time or a national overview?

Seriously, think about that.

There’s a reason it’s far more common in similar situations that the “national news” is not aired. It better serves the local audience.

Because locals suffering from a disaster don't need to hear reporters blathering on for 10 minutes about the president's latest shenanigans.

Back
Top Bottom