• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They preempted that for this?

But there were cases when WSPA/7 and WBTV/3 would carry a game live involving a Carolina school, that was on tape delay on the rest of the CBS network.(the same thing would apply for the other school that was playing too)

The ACC has more teams so the entire tournament doesn't air on the CBS affiliates around here, but CBS gets moved to the middle of the night when the more important games air, and only if I'm lucky will the programs air in their entirety. I can't try to station I get with an antenna because I don't have enough room left to record anything, but this station usually does a poor job with this. The station I get on cable does better but is not perfect.

From sctvhound on the 506 Forums:

Savannah, being the parochial market that it is, is having their St. Patrick's Day Parade on Friday, and WTOC, the CBS in Savannah, is preempting CBS's daytime programming to air the parade, as they do every year.

The Michigan/Oklahoma State game will be preempted to their .2 Bounce subchannel until at least 1:30pm. Satellite viewers in the market won't have full access until then.

http://506sports.com/forum/index.php?topic=20185.msg929325#msg929325

Tuesday most of Connecticut got buried in 18-25 inches of snow so of course all four stations blew out all their programming. On a Facebook live chat Tuesday Night, one of the meteorologists from FOX 61 called their 14 and a half hours of coverage a "public service."

Anyway as for today Friday March 17, 2017:

WTNH Channel 8 (ABC) blew out their lifestyle show CT Style, Family Feud, and Rachael Ray for a special called "News 8 St. Patrick's Day Celebration." No idea what it was/

WCCT-TV Channel 20 (CW) blew out an infomercial, Steve Wilkos, Jerry Springer, and one airing of Maury to rebroadcast both the Hartford and New Haven St. Patrick's Day parades. The Hartford parade originally aired live last Saturday on sister station FOX 61 and the New Haven Parade originally aired live on Sunday on WCCT-TV.

WCCT-TV Channel 20 (CW) blew out an infomercial, Steve Wilkos, Jerry Springer, and one airing of Maury to rebroadcast both the Hartford and New Haven St. Patrick's Day parades. The Hartford parade originally aired live last Saturday on sister station FOX 61 and the New Haven Parade originally aired live on Sunday on WCCT-TV.

For me almost anything that pre-empts trash talk shows and infomercials would be a definite improvement!!! :cool:

Last edited:
Some listings from Portsmouth OH in early December 1993. Preemptions include Billy Graham Crusades, college hoops and a local movie dumping a network movie.
https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=U3HXUhiBGqIC&dat=19931205&printsec=frontpage&hl=en (page 21)

Bonus: Wheel of Fortune being pre-empted on Monday (on WSAZ) for a health special and BOTH CBS affiliates pre-empting Wednesday's 9pm hour for a Billy Graham crusade. Also, WBNS aired two different crusades in the same week!

WSOC-TV is notorious for airing "9 investigates" and bumping sitcoms to a weekend slot. A couple of weeks ago they didn't bother to tell whoever is responsible for my TiVo listings. I recorded "9 Investigates". I had no way of taping the sitcoms because even if there had been a way to find out when they aired, they would have been treated as reruns. Actually, manually taping would have worked.

Fortunately I had a season pass to the same sitcoms on another TiVo which records from an antenna. That ABC affiliate never pre-empts ANYTHING. Their local news comes from Time Warner, which may be Spectrum now.

In the final years of Saturday morning cartoons, KMYS CW-35 in San Antonio never aired the Toonzai or Vortexx Saturday morning blocks on Saturday mornings. They split up and aired the block between Sunday and Monday mornings around 2am-4am. Instead on Saturday mornings we got informercials and a local medical show called the Dr Carassco Medical Show.

Sister station KABB Fox 29 on Saturday evenings will sometimes push whatever show airs in the Saturday evening time slot at 11pm to a later time for local programming, currently we have something called South Texas Most Wanted, where the most wanted fugatives in the area are featured. In the past we've had local celebrities air shows in that time slot, and that would push back whatever was originally suppose to air in that time slot.

KSAT 12 ABC pushes General Hospital to 2pm, when it's suppose to air right after The Chew, it's funny hearing the host say it's up next and then instead we get an hour of local news and something called SA Live right after.

High School football games like those on KMYS in the Summer and Fall push Thursday night programming to air between 11:00pm-1:00pm. Spurs games on KENS sometimes delay the local news and late night talk shows.

WOAI NBC 4 delays The Late Show with Seth Meyers to air Inside Editon, instead of it airing right after the Tonight Show, and Last Call with Carson Dailey airs two hours after at around 2am, in between the shows you have paid programming and reruns of local news.

Last edited:
KSAT 12 ABC pushes General Hospital to 2pm, when it's suppose to air right after The Chew, it's funny hearing the host say it's up next and then instead we get an hour of local news and something called SA Live right after.

They also delay Jimmy Kimmel to 11:05 so they can air an hour-long newscast at 10.

KMYS found infomercials on Saturday mornings more profitable than kids' programming. A very sad way to end the CW cartoon block in San Antonio - I'm sure they had an audience of some kind!

Is it "inexplicable" when a station preempts a show because some sporting event runs late or is that accidental? A lot of syndicated shows get hurt because of that?

Due to coverage of the I-85 bridge collapse here in Atlanta on Thursday (3/30), The Notorious WSB was at it again, bumping the entire ABC primetime -- including Scandal and Grey's Anatomy -- to 1:05 am...and angry viewers vented their frustration on social media as always!

There was not much complaining as far as WGCL was concerned, banishing only The Big Bang Theory and The Great Outdoors to 1:37 am.

Back
Top Bottom