• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They preempted that for this?

The WSMV pre-emption Saturday sounds like may have been accidental or a scheduling screw-up, but in the 80's WMC in Memphis would regularly come into Major League Baseball games on NBC late because NOTHING came before Memfus Rasslin' (which also pre-empted some Saturday morning cartoons over the years), even if it meant coming into major sports on NBC late, and this went on for years.

One place where WMC pre-empted sports that I didn't mind was when they carried football games on the syndicated SEC network instead of other sports from NBC on Saturday afternoons including Notre Dame Football in later years because I'd usually rather see the SEC game. That lasted until the SEC Network games moved to WLMT 30 in Memphis in the early 90's.

Last edited:
From susquvalleywgal on tvnewstalk.net:

Good evening everyone.

So, WHP-TV (CBS21), Harrisburg, PA has themselves in a bit of a pickle tonight.

They have decided not to air CSI tonight, instead having their 11PM newscast show. The world is not ending here in the HLLY market so why would they do this??? Also, don't they have to air the show, since it's a network show???

So I guess I'm asking about here simply put is what is the rules for pre-empting shows??? Also worth noting, viewers are going on their FB page raging hell. One viewer wrote, "I don't have On Demand." So, Monday morning at the Sinclair station should be great!!!

-- Matt

Update from rkolsen:

CSI was preempted for all eastern and central time zone affiliates because of the long running NFL game.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if KSL-TV, as a CBS affiliate, cleared "The Exorcist" from CBS back in 1980 (and/or when it was re-aired in 1981)? It seems if there was ever a program or movie that would be fodder for a KSL preemption, that would be it.

In the 80's WCPX (now WKMG) did not clear any CBS game show except for The Price Is Right. In the 90's WFTV would not pre-empt Oprah for ABC Afterschool Specials either.

I think WESH was the only one to clear or nearly clear the complete network daytime lineup back then (it got pre-emption happy in the early 90's though as well, passing on unaired NBC shows to WIRB (now WOPX) )

KATV has been and still is the most preemption-prone of the Little Rock affiliates. The syndicated SEC Men's Basketball games for years have preempted ABC programming on Wednesday nights (including Lost during its run). Also, during December KATV shows non-conference Razorback BB games and bumps ABC shows.

With the Razorbacks and the SEC now on the SEC Network, KATV is now airing...the ACC! This despite Arkansas having not too many ACC fans. Right now they're airing football on Saturdays, but I don't know about basketball season.

KATV also aired infomercials in place of two World Cup games this past summer available to ABC stations.

With the World Cup moving to FOX, and FOX requiring its affiliates to air every match, this could be moot.

Of course, KATV still delays Jimmy Kimmel by a half hour.

Here in Tampa Bay, WFTS 28 usually pre-empties Scripps-only syndicated show "THE LIST" for government programing recently. WHY DO THEY ALWAYS HAVE TO PREEMPTY MY FAVORITE SHOW WHICH IS THE LIST!!!! :( :( :mad: :mad:

From cbs2newengland on tvnewstalk.net:

Not sure who's making the calls today, but the Fox 25 Morning News is on this morning - on a Sunday, covering mostly the late longest serving Mayor in Boston, Thomas Menino. Today he's down in Fanuell Hall for remembrance - not the big services, funeral etc. The funeral will be tomorrow (if I am not mistaken) and according to my EPG on my set top, WCVB, and others are airing it from 11 am to 3pm tomorrow.

From cbs2newengland on tvnewstalk.net:

How is that "Inexplicable"? That strikes me as one of the most easily explainable Pre-Emptions, hardly the sort of "Inexplicable Network Program Pre-Emption" this thread is allegedly about.

CSI fans disappointed by repeated football preemption

Two weeks in a row!! CSI bumped from schedule because of long football game. Maybe CBS should just move it to a better night. Other shows are being aired but CSI gets the boot twice.

Obama’s Speech: NBC’s New York Station Thumbs Nose At Network And Carries POTUS; Other Stations Follow Suit

NBC’s New York flagship station thumbed its nose at the network tonight and took President Obama’s speech live, rather than airing The Biggest Loser at 8 PM, as NBC had planned.

Yesterday the broadcast networks made news of their own when they decided not to carry Obama’s 15-minute speech live from the White House on the East Coast. ABC instead stuck with the fall finale of Grey’s Anatomy, CBS with The Big Bang Theory, NBC with The Biggest Loser and Fox with Bones.

WNBC did not stand alone; up and down the East Coast, station execs gave the raspberry to their networks’ decision to forgo Obama’s speech (WCBS and WABC, the New York stations of CBS and ABC, respectively, were not among them).

http://deadline.com/2014/11/obama-immigration-primetime-speech-tv-networks-1201291124/

The best chance of that this time of year would be if CBS would carry college football games on Saturday nights like ABC and Fox. It happens occasionally, but it's still not a weekly thing. I believe it's happening next week, and WREG is carrying it in its entirety.

On the two weeks that CBS had college football on Saturday nights they didn't run the Operation Smile infomercial, although I wouldn't be surprised to find out they ran it at another time. But sure enough now that CBS went back to (somewhat) regular shows on Saturday nights they ran it again last Saturday and are doing it again this coming Saturday. I don't have anything against the charity if they're legitimate. But CBS needs to put a stop to stations like WREG pre-empting a regular time slot every week for infomercials.

NFL Moves Jets-Bills To Monday Night; CBS Will Air It In NYC, Buffalo Markets

The massive snowstorm that has buried Buffalo, NY, has forced the NFL to call an audible. The league said tonight that the Buffalo Bills’ home game against their in-state and division rival New York Jets has been moved from Sunday afternoon to Monday night in Detroit. CBS will air the game at 7 PM Eastern in the NYC and Buffalo-area markets.

The re-sked also means CBS viewers in those markets won’t see original episodes of 2 Broke Girls at 8 PM or Scorpion at 9 PM (The Big Bang Theory at 8:30 is a repeat). The Jets-Bills game also will run into the 10 PM start time of NCIS: Los Angeles.

http://deadline.com/2014/11/jets-bills-nfl-monday-night-cbs-espn-1201291277/

As Networks Pass on Immigration Address, Local Stations Produce Special Reports

While ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX chose not to interrupt primetime with Pres. Obama’s immigration executive action remarks, many local stations interrupted network programs anyway, producing their own specials. NBC stations in Washington, DC and New York produced special reports, so did ABC’s WLS in Chicago, which meant pre-empting the “Grey’s Anatomy” “winter finale.” FOX produced an optional special report anchored by Shepard Smith but aired broadly across the country in markets including New York, Boston, Washington, Atlanta, Detroit, and Miami.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser...ocal-stations-produce-special-reports_b246791

How is that "Inexplicable"? There's an extremely good explanation for that. The two cities where the Monday Night Football teams are located always get the Monday Night Football Game on local TV. It's in the NFL contract with the networks. That explains that preemption clearly and succinctly. It is not Inexplicable!

Again, how is that inexplicable?

I'd also ask why those recent preemptions are in Classic TV, since they happened just yesterday, but that might be overkill.

You actually think the networks have that kind of control over their affiliates? :D

The networks should be able to penalize stations for pre-empting regular programming, especially when it's for infomercials.

That's why I wanted this thread moved to the National TV board.

This thread started as a discussion of pre-emptions in the past, but recent ones are mixed in as well, so I guess they decided to keep it in Classic TV, which is OK with me. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom