• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

They preempted that for this?

Absolutely true. It wasn't until The View (gag) came along that they fully cleared the 11-noon slot. Game shows, off-net reruns, Edge Of Night...they all were bumped.

To further clarify: WPVI ran the 11am-12pm hour in pattern until June 1980. At that point, the 11am-12pm hour consisted of reruns of "Laverne and Shirley" and following that, "Family Feud". WPVI ran both of those in pattern. When the hour was replaced with reruns of "Love Boat", and "Family Feud" was moved to noon, WPVI began running "Match Game" in the 11am timeslot and kept "Family Feud" at 11:30. Feud stayed at 11:30 for three years until "Loving" premiered in June 1983. They then ran "Loving" in pattern and "Family Feud" ran on WTAF-29 (at noon) for the rest of the summer.

Those "Love Boat" (and for the summer in 1981, back-to-back "Three's Company" reruns) found a home in Philadelphia (as did "Edge of Night", too) - WKBS-48. They ran the aforementioned shows and also reruns of "Too Close for Comfort" until the station went dark in September.

After that, WTAF-29 would usually run ABC's sitcom rerun(s) since WPVI still wasn't picking them up, on a one-day delay.

WBMG (now WIAT) Birmingham, AL, delayed "All In The Family" from Tuesdays at 8:30 (CT) to Saturdays at 6 during the show's first half-season in 1971. Actually, it may have been a good thing because CBS moved "AITF" to Saturdays at 7 (CT) in the fall of '71, so we were already accustomed to watching the show on Saturdays. IIRC, we got reruns of "Felony Squad" on Tuesdays at 8:30 (CT) during those early weeks of "AITF."

Does anyone know or remember if there were any other CBS affiliates that initially had a problem with "All in the Family" and tape-delayed or straight-out preempted it?
I"m not remembering offhand which CBS affiliate it was, but there was at least one in the Minnesota State Edition of TV Guide that, when it first came one, tape-delayed it until after the 10pm news. Carried the rest of CBS' Saturday night lineup, though.

Does anyone know or remember if there were any other CBS affiliates that initially had a problem with "All in the Family" and tape-delayed or straight-out preempted it?
I remember KFSN-TV/30 Fresno pre-CapCities delaying it but I don't remember to when.

I'm surprised no one on this thread has mentioned WDIV Detroit. It and other Post-Newsweek stations have been notorious for preempting network programs.

From Wikipedia:

In the 1970s and 1980s, WDIV preempted one to two hours of NBC's daytime programming every day. The station also refused to air Late Night with David Letterman and its successor, Late Night with Conan O'Brien at 12:35 a.m. for many years. Instead, until 1999, the station opted to rebroadcast Jenny Jones in that timeslot. WDIV currently airs the entire NBC schedule, though while Late Night now airs at its usual time of 12:35 a.m., Last Call with Carson Daly is delayed from 1:35 a.m. to 2:35 a.m. due to an hour-long block of infomercials. WDIV has also delayed the fourth hour of Today (which nationally airs at 10:00 a.m.) since its debut, previously airing it at 11:00 a.m. due to The Ellen DeGeneres Show, The Ricki Lake Show and Rachael Ray airing at 10:00 a.m. In August 2013, WDIV began airing the fourth hour of Today at 2:00 p.m. due to the launch of the WDIV-produced local talk show Live In The D, which was placed in the 11:00 a.m. slot. The station does not carry NBC's late night rerun of the fourth hour of Today along with Mad Money, preferring to carry an encore of the 11 p.m. newscast, infomercials and syndicated programming. Conversely the station, along with all other Post-Newsweek stations, has refused to air all of NBC's televised poker programming, including Poker After Dark, the National Heads-Up Poker Championship and Face the Ace.

From 1999 to 2002, WDIV did not clear the soap opera Passions at 2:00 p.m. Instead, it aired on WADL (channel 38) at noon on a tape delay, while WDIV aired daytime talk shows at 2:00 p.m. Houston sister station KPRC-TV did this as well until August 30, 2004 when it became the last NBC station to carry Passions at 2:00 p.m. These two stations were the only NBC affiliate holdouts to the show; the issue was rendered moot when NBC canceled Passions in 2007.

NBC programming is still occasionally pre-empted for special events, including coverage of the North American International Auto Show, the annual Target Fireworks on the Detroit International Riverfront, and America's Thanksgiving Parade (whose coverage, incidentally, pre-empts the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade broadcast on the station), and on occasion, infomercials.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WDIV-TV#Programming_preemptions

WDIV shifts many of their preempted NBC shows to non-sister station WADL, where they air in crappy 4:3 SD.

On June 24, 2013, WADL televised game six of the Stanley Cup Finals in order to allow Detroit's NBC station, WDIV-TV, to televise the local annual Target Fireworks show. Through 2014 NBC established a relationship with WADL that provided airing programming that local TV station WDIV could not carry. This was an opportunity for WADL to run prime time first run NBC programming such as Grimm, The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, Growing Up Fisher, Kathie Lee and Hoda, The Michael J. Fox Show and Revolution.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WADL_(TV)#Programming

The PGA Championship on CBS is likely going to a Monday finish. This means some daytime programming may be preempted (The Price Is Right, The Young and the Restless, etc.), but also the opposite of what this thread is about: Network shows preempting local programs, especially syndication. Any other examples of this? I just might create a new thread if you want me to.

The PGA Championship on CBS is likely going to a Monday finish. This means some daytime programming may be preempted (The Price Is Right, The Young and the Restless, etc.), but also the opposite of what this thread is about: Network shows preempting local programs, especially syndication. Any other examples of this? I just might create a new thread if you want me to.

It's happened quite a few times for rain-delayed auto races and tennis tournament finals.

Well, no Monday finish (congrats Rory), and 60 Minutes and Big Brother are delayed by two hours, while Unforgettable and Reckless are bumped so that the local news can start on time. These are new episodes, so do you think they'll air on the West Coast or be replaced by reruns?

happens every March on CBS, and every four years on NBC

Why are they re-airing Thelma and Louise from This TV? It even has the THIS logo on the bottom right.

Here were the shows that aired on NBC Saturday (9/27):
8/7c - The Voice Recap
9/8c - Global Citizen Festival
10/9c - Vintage SNL

One, two or all three of these shows were preempted in some markets:
Indianapolis (8-9 ET) Indianapolis Zoo Prize Special
Detroit (8-10 ET) The Ides of March
Houston (7-7:30 CT) News Special, (7:30-10 CT) Thelma & Louise
Nashville (7-9 CT) The Ides of March
Louisville (9-11 ET) The Ides of March
Albuquerque (9-10 MT) New Mexico Governor's Debate

This is done all over the country on low-rated nights so that stations can get more local ad money. And the Global Citizen Festival was all new, with Carrie Underwood. It was preempted in Nashville, the capital of country music?!? Hmmm...

BTW, I think this thread should be moved over to the National TV board.

In its original NBC run, Jeopardy!--touted as appointment TV to college students--was blacked out in Atlanta when it was moved to 12 Noon ET in 1965. The NBC affiliate then, WSB, ran local news. Jeopardy! cleared from 1969 to 1972 on WJRJ (WTCG)/channel 17, then it was off Atlanta airwaves again until 1974 when NBC moved the show to 10:30 AM. WSB cleared it then.

CBS affiliate WAGA bumped Press Your Luck during its entire three-year run. A programming fluke occurred during its final week. Then-independent WVEU/channel 69 (today CW's WUPA) was supposed to start running The $25,000 Pyramid on a same-day delay to 4 PM on September 22, 1986. But a tech at the station forgot to record the feed from CBS that morning. With a hole staring at them at 4 PM, WVEU ran that day's Press Your Luck direct from the CBS feed.

And while we're sticking with Atlanta:

In April this year, the notorious WSB bumped "Nightline Prime" and "20/20 Saturday" to 2:05 am so they would show that awful Kevin Costner movie "Revenge". A few months later in August, they did it again for some crappy high school music awards show, preempting the entire three hours!!!! I mean, WSB has MeTV on 2.2; couldn't they put that subchannel to good use? No wonder why they've been hogging the Atlanta -- and perhaps Georgia -- TV ratings for over six decades (as opposed to KTUU, who's been the #1 station in Alaska since only the mid-'80s)!!

Meanwhile, WGCL in May preempted the remaining 3 1/2 hours of CBS primetime -- including an all-new 48 Hours -- also on a Saturday for the Clint Eastwood movie "Gran Torino", which they started immediately after the final credits for Mike & Molly. Unlike WSB, no notice was needed.

As evidenced by Winter Storms Leon and Pax, whatever NBC/syndicated shows WXIA preempts, sister station WATL picks up the tab for them (except for the Olympics).

And WAGA? They used to be preemption-happy like WSB during their CBS days, but since becoming a Fox O&O, not anymore. After all, they are one of the strongest Fox affiliates in the country and, despite WSB's claims, #1 in Atlanta among the 18-49 demos.

Last edited:
For whatever ratings losses NBC suffered when it got saddled with WXIA in 1980, it made up for in program clearances; 11 Alive was never quite as pre-emption happy as WSB and WAGA, and still carries virtually everything from NBC. I recall that at the time of the switch the only NBC daytime show WXIA didn't carry was "Card Sharks," which was on at 12 N, when 11 had its local news; 11 also picked up "Sportsworld," which WSB had always refused in favor of Lawrence Welk. Channel 2 still has a few ABC shows missing from its schedule, such as "World News Sunday," and it plays pretty fast and loose with ABC on Saturday mornings.

WGCL will sometimes run in a movie of its own choosing in place of something on CBS, as you noted with "Gran Torino." WAGA does virtually no pre-emption of Fox programming because I think the network has extremely strict limits on how much programming can be pre-empted over the course of a year.

Another market where there's far less pre-empting than in the past is Birmingham; as an ABC affiliate, WBRC was one of the most pre-emption happy affiliates of any network, something that ceased when it went to Fox. ABC33/40 was better, and it was a big deal when "All My Children" began airing in-pattern at 12 N (CT), something WBRC never did. With the switch coming later today to WABM, it will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes; the early schedules I've seen suggest that ABC33/40's schedule will run intact on 68.1.

WXIA didn't clear Super Password at all. Two other NBC shows they didn't clear--Caesars Challenge and Family Secrets--cleared on WTLK/ch. 14 (now WPXA). But only people on the north fringes of Atlanta with good outdoor aerials could get WTLK because it was not on Atlanta cable systems yet.

You've obviously looked at the last Atlanta retro I posted, and you're correct on all counts. 11 Alive did carry "Password Plus," the version Allen Ludden left for health reasons and Tom Kennedy took over. As I recall, 11 Alive didn't carry the Jim Perry version of "Sale Of The Century" either, even though WSB carried the Jack Kelly/Joe Garagiola version (1969-73).

If memory serves, WXIA did pick up Sale Of The Century, albeit briefly, in late 1986 or early 1987. It was around the time NBC brought Blockbusters back (with Bill Rafferty) in December of 1986. Other than that, WATL/channel 36 aired it on a same-day delay to 12:30 in 1983.

Back
Top Bottom