• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite Game Show Announcers

You guys have covered Fave Game Shows and Fave Game Show Hosts. How about Fave Game Show Announcer?? There are some announcers who are heard merely announcing the host and the "brought to you by" sponsors. Others also announce the contestants and very much interact on-air with the host and the studio audience.

So who are your favorite game show announcers?? You dont necessarily have to mention the shows they announced as many announcers have announced for countless shows.

I'll start with:

Johnny Olsen -- Match Game, Price Is Right

Rod Roddy -- TPIR, Love Connection

Gene Wood -- Family Feud

Burton Richardson -- TPIR fillin (probably most widely known as Arsenioooooo Hallllll's announcer)

Charlie O'Donnell.

> Rod Roddy -- TPIR, Love Connection

You forgot what is probably his best-loved announcing job among game show fans:

"Today, these three people are after BIG BUCKS ... but they'll have to avoid the WHAMMY ... as they play the most exciting game of their lives! From Television City in Hollywood, it's time to PRESS ... YOUR ... LUCK!"<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> >
> So who are your favorite game show announcers?? >
> Gene Wood -- Family Feud
>
> While I was doing radio in college. A friend of mine and I actually interviewed Gene Wood. He was a very gracious man, and was really fun to talk to. This was 15 some years ago, but IIRC he told us how he started in the business, and said he really enjoyed Feud. I wish I had a copy of the tape. "LOOK SAD AND SAY D'OH :-(

>
> So who are your favorite game show announcers?? You dont
> necessarily have to mention the shows they announced as many
> announcers have announced for countless shows.

"So folks, won't you come in and meet Groucho Marx."
- George Fenneman

"...and a year's supply of Rice-A-Roni, the San Francisco treat."
- Don Pardo "Jeopardy"
not to mention "Three On A Match", the original TPIR, Eye Guess, and 31 years of saying "It's Saturday Night Liiiiive!" Glad to see he's still going strong at age 88.

> Johnny Olsen -- Match Game, Price Is Right

Johnny Olsen also announced many other game shows, two that come to mind are To Tell The Truth, What's My Line. How many remember what non-game show Johnny Olsen was the announcer for? Quoting Olsen with music and camera zooming in over ocean towards skyline: "From the sun and fun capital of the world Miami Beach, it's the Jackie Gleason Show".

Mark

How about these notables:

Johnny Gilbert - He was annoucer for game shows such as the Pyramid games (the Dick Clark and Bill Cullen versions) and most notably Jeopardy among others.

Jay Stewart (Let's Make A Deal, et. al.)

Jack Clark - Announcer for the early 60s Password shows, Split Second (with Tom Kennedy), hosted Cross-Wits and later announced for Wheel of Fortune until his death....which lead to

Charlie O'Donnel

BTW, Burton Richardson was also announcer of the updated late 80s-ealy 90s version of To Tell The Truth, the syndicated version of TPIR (around early to mid 90s)and of course the current announcer for Family Feud.

Shadoe Stevens - Announcer (and sometimes center square) of the 80s version of Hollywood Squares with John Davidson

Kenny Williams - The original Hollywood Squares and Gambit<P ID="signature">______________
MRS Ventures: Wasted broadcast radio technology since 1993.</P>

> How about these notables:
>
> BTW, Burton Richardson was also announcer of the updated
> late 80s-ealy 90s version of To Tell The Truth, the
> syndicated version of TPIR (around early to mid 90s)and of
> course the current announcer for Family Feud.
>
He was also announced the recent TTTT revival with future Family Feud host John O'Hurley and was a fill-in for TPIR after Rod Roddy's death

> Shadoe Stevens - Announcer (and sometimes center square) of
> the 80s version of Hollywood Squares with John Davidson
>
and the late 90s version under Whoopi Goldberg and Tom Bergeron

How about these notables:

Johnny Gilbert - He was annoucer for game shows such as the Pyramid games (the Dick Clark and Bill Cullen versions) and most notably Jeopardy among others.

Jay Stewart (Let's Make A Deal, et. al.)

Jack Clark - Announcer for the early 60s Password shows, Split Second (with Tom Kennedy), hosted Cross-Wits and later announced for Wheel of Fortune until his death....which lead to

Charlie O'Donnel

BTW, Burton Richardson was also announcer of the updated late 80s-ealy 90s version of To Tell The Truth, the syndicated version of TPIR (around early to mid 90s)and of course the current announcer for Family Feud.

Shadoe Stevens - Announcer (and sometimes center square) of the 80s version of Hollywood Squares with John Davidson

Kenny Williams - The original Hollywood Squares and Gambit<P ID="signature">______________
MRS Ventures: Wasted broadcast radio technology since 1993.</P>
i liked Jay Stewart, Jack Clark and Don Morrow

I know this is an antique thread, but I enjoyed Charlie O'Donnell (RIP!) when he did Wheel of Fortune. What a legend. He was always so excited when someone won the bonus puzzle. "You just won twenty five thooooooooooussand dollars!" Jim Thornton's OK, but he can't hold a candle to the late Charlie.
Also enjoyed Rod Roddy (RIP!) who did Price is Right from 1986-2003. Yet another legend. Bob enjoyed having Rod on the show, and I wouldn't doubt it either. He was a very warm-hearted announcer. Pre-TPIR he did Press Your Luck and was also great.
And of course, Johnny "This! Is! Jeopardy!" Gilbert - he's in his early 90s and still ticking.
Randy West is also good as well - he was great doing Supermarket Sweep, when it was on PAX, and great when subbing on Price is Right.

-crainbebo

i know it is off topic but what about soap opera announcers like Dwight Weist Alan Berns Dan McCullough Bill Wolff Ed Chandler and Hal Simms

I was too young to remember Johnny Olsen, so i'd go with

Rod Roddy-- Price is Right, Press Your Luck

Jay Stewart-- Sale of The Century, Let's Make a Deal, Scrabble, Jokers Wild, Tic Tac Dough

Don Morrow-- Sale of The Century, The Challengers

Gene Wood -- Family Feud, Classic Concentration, Card Sharks,

Burton Richardson -- To Tell the Truth, Family Feud, Price is Right

Jack Clark-- Wheel of Fortune

Charlie O'Donnell-- Wheel of Fortune, Tic Tac Dough, Jokers Wild, The $100,000 Pyramid

John Harlan-- Name That Tune, American Gladiators, Password

Johnny Jacobs-- The Dating Game, Jokers Wild, The Newlywed Game, Treasure Hunt

Last edited:
Johnny Olsen, Shadoe Stevens, Charlie O'Donnell, and Charlie Tuna. Other than Olsen, I liked hearing the others because they were DJs I listened to as a kid in the 70s on Los Angeles radio. There were also a lot of LA DJs that became game show hosts - Bob Eubanks, Wink Martindale, Jim Lange, Geoff Edwards, Gary Owens, etc.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom