• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Favorite Songs You Never Hear On Radio Anymore

Jay F said:
I just want to thank whoever mentioned Russ Ballard-Voices. I forgot about it until I saw it listed here. Great song!

A few months ago, I thought about this great song - I haven't heard it for so many years on the radio (I started to think I imagined the song, that it never existed) :D

Took a look on youtube, and there is the original music video, as I remembered it on MTV years ago... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftcyFZxnTro

This guy was a pretty prolific songwriter! Read this from Wikipedia:

Ballard (ex Rick Nicholl and the Rebels) was initially a guitarist (Hofner Club 60), appearing stage left, with Buster Meikle & The Day Breakers in 1961, together with Roy Ballard, Russ's older brother on piano playing behind him, Bernie Benson on bass to the right and Bob Henrit on drums. All 5 fired-up & rocking from the very first moment of their act, wearing their distinctive deep red jackets with black collars! After a stint with The Roulettes, backing Adam Faith, he then went on to join Unit 4 + 2 in the early 1960s, before becoming the lead singer and guitarist of Argent, writing their hit "God Gave Rock and Roll to You", which would later be covered by both Petra and Kiss. Ballard is most well-known as the vocalist on Argent's smash " Hold your head up ". In 1972, Ballard performed on Colin Blunstone's album Ennismore, which was produced by Chris White. Ballard also wrote the hit single, "I Don't Believe in Miracles", which featured on that album.

He left Argent in 1973 and pursued a solo and songwriting career. He wrote such hits as Three Dog Night's "Liar", Hot Chocolate's 1977 UK chart topper "So You Win Again", and Rainbow's 1980 hit "Since You Been Gone." Head East recorded the song first in 1978 for its self-titled album. The song also is featured on Ballard's second solo album Winning. He also wrote Rainbow's 1981 #3 (UK) hit "I Surrender". As a solo artist, Ballard charted once on the U.S. Billboard Hot 100 chart, when "On the Rebound" reached #58 in 1980. Progressive rock band Uriah Heep covered "On the Rebound" in 1982 on their album, Abominog.

Ballard also wrote and performed on Roger Daltrey's first two solo albums - Daltrey (1973) and Ride a Rock Horse (1975). Daltrey recorded some other Russ Ballard originals for his McVicar soundtrack, and his Under a Raging Moon and Can't Wait to See the Movie, albums. He did a tour with Roger Daltrey in 1985, playing guitar and even singing one of his own songs.

British pop band Hello recorded Ballard's "New York Groove" in 1975, reaching #7 in Germany and #9 in the UK.

Ballard also wrote the #17, 1981 hit for Santana, called "Winning", which appeared on their album entitled Zebop! and had previously been released by Ballard himself on his second solo album.

Ballard wrote and produced "You Can Do Magic" for the group America on its 1982 album View from the Ground. The single climbed to #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 in October 1982, and helped resurrect the band's career. The following year, America brought in Ballard to produce their follow-up album, Your Move. One of its tracks, "The Border", which was co-written by Ballard with Dewey Bunnell, reached #33 on the Billboard Hot 100.

Borrowing from The Cure's Simon Gallup's 1981 "Other Voices" bass riff, Ballard wrote ABBA singer Anni-Frid Lyngstad's 1982 solo hit: "I Know There's Something Going On" (which was produced and featured drums played by Phil Collins). The track reached #13 on the Billboard Hot 100. He also penned "Can't Shake Loose" for fellow ABBA former member, Agnetha Fältskog, which peaked at #29 in the same listings.

His song "Voices" - from the album Russ Ballard - was featured in the Miami Vice episode "Calderone's Return: Part 2 - Calderone's Demise", which aired on 26 October 1984. The song was a brief hit on rock radio stations, peaking at #15 on the Hot Mainstream Rock Tracks chart. However, "Voices" stalled below the Billboard Hot 100, peaking at #110. The song "In The Night", also from the Russ Ballard album, was featured in the episode "Calderone's Return: Part 1 - The Hit List". The show featured "Your Time Is Gonna Come" by Ballard later in its run.

As much as I liked "Voices" in the 80s until now I had no idea what an extensive backround Ballard had. I just assumed he was a one hit wonder on the rock chart. I had no idea he sang "Hold Your Head Up". I love so many of the songs he wrote, especially Rainbow-Since You've Been Gone. Thanks for posting about him.

jfrancispastirchak said:
CHIRPY CHIRPY CHEEP CHEEP Middle of the Road

Interesting choice, since that version of the song never charted here in the USA. It was a big hit in the UK, though.

Perhaps you are thinking of the Mac & Katie Kissoon version, which went to #20 here in 1971?

No one seems to remember this song, but I heard it often on WKXY (930 AM) in Sarasota back then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirpy_Chirpy_Cheep_Cheep

I found the "Middle of the Road" version of the song on YT, but I've never been able to find a M&K Kissoon video performance of this song.

I used to have the 45 of the M&K Kissoon version, on Dunhill. Sold it with all my other 45s years ago. Great song, though!

BTW, I like MOR's song "Sacramento" a lot, you'd think this group was from the USA, however, they're from Scotland, and the Kissoon's are from Trinidad.

SolidGold16 said:
jfrancispastirchak said:
CHIRPY CHIRPY CHEEP CHEEP Middle of the Road
Interesting choice, since that version of the song never charted here in the USA. It was a big hit in the UK, though. Perhaps you are thinking of the Mac & Katie Kissoon version, which went to #20 here in 1971? No one seems to remember this song, but I heard it often on WKXY (930 AM) in Sarasota back then.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chirpy_Chirpy_Cheep_Cheep
My exposure to Chirpy had to be MOR's, since that song was long gone when I moved west in '69. Some U.S. stations must have tested it, even if it never charted. Funny how Chirpy came back; I was grocery shopping in January, when I heard it on the oldies format playing on the store's sound system. First time I'd even thought of Chirpy since the '60s. My, that girl and those hot pants could make a grown man cry!

jfrancispastirchak said:
My exposure to Chirpy had to be MOR's, since that song was long gone when I moved west in '69. Some U.S. stations must have tested it, even if it never charted. Funny how Chirpy came back; I was grocery shopping in January, when I heard it on the oldies format playing on the store's sound system. First time I'd even thought of Chirpy since the '60s. My, that girl and those hot pants could make a grown man cry!

;D ;D ;D

That's entirely possible, and I suspect also that "Sacramento" was played a lot in Sacto, and Sally Carr could certainly get your attention :)

Not one of MOR's LPs or singles charted in the USA, too bad. They were pretty talented, and you can find all three of their singles on YouTube today.

They looked and sounded like a group from L.A., could've fooled me!

A friend of mine works in a grocery store, tells me they play 'Chirpy' on the Musak in the store. The only reason he knows the song is because I played it for him many times. I like a lot of semi-obscure hits from back in the late 60s - mid 70s. I was in heaven when the Rhino "Have A Nice Day" CDs came out a few years back. They covered a lot of songs I always wanted, with a few exceptions. I have pretty much completed my collection of songs that I ever want to hear, and rarely listen to the radio anymore - and I was a radio junkie back in the early 70s. I don't think that music will ever be duplicated in our lifetimes.

I only know the Mac and Katie Kissoon version which I like very much, such a happy song. I also discovered another great song of theirs on a Dutch oldies stream "Sugar Candy Kisses" which was a big hit in the UK (and much of Europe) in 1975 but didn't chart in the U.S for some reason.

SolidGold16 said:
British pop band Hello recorded Ballard's "New York Groove" in 1975, reaching #7 in Germany and #9 in the UK.
Such an exhaustive look at Russ Ballard's career, yet no mention of Ace Frehley's cover of "New York Groove"? #13 in 1978-79.

As for "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep," it is enjoying a bit of a resurrection on the new "Hippie Radio" station here in Nashville. http://www.hippieradio945.com Cool song, I can't recall ever having heard it before.

SolidGold16 said:
jfrancispastirchak said:
That's entirely possible, and I suspect also that "Sacramento" was played a lot in Sacto, and Sally Carr could certainly get your attention :)
I concur with your prophesy about that music, that it likely will never be duplicated in our lifetimes. As a "radio junkie" back in the day, I'm wondering if you ever heard that other song I mentioned in my post, Lady-O, composed and sung by the late Judie Sill. Sill was a deeply introspective songwriter for her age. Her story is remarkable; she learned guitar while serving time in a juvenile facility for armmed robbery with an accomplice much older that her. Disparing over failure to achieve superstardom, she died of a drug OD in 1979. Lady-O was copied by The Turtles.

Jay F said:
I only know the Mac and Katie Kissoon version which I like very much, such a happy song. I also discovered another great song of theirs on a Dutch oldies stream "Sugar Candy Kisses" which was a big hit in the UK (and much of Europe) in 1975 but didn't chart in the U.S for some reason.

Looking on YouTube, they had several songs that were upbeat and fun. They certainly are obscure here in the USA, I doubt one person in a million could tell you who they are. But this is exactly the type of music I like from the early 70s, something with a hook, a melody. Doesn't have to have a deep meaning, if it makes you feel good. There were so many songs like that in the time period, now there aren't any (that I'm aware of, anyway). I used to look forward to new songs debuting on the radio, and most "grabbed" me right away. Now I can't even stand to turn on the radio... unless it's an oldies station, and even then, they only play what I call "obvious" oldies, the same 100 or 200 songs over and over, with no variety, and almost no "one hit wonders" from back then. After a while, I just have to turn it off.

firepoint525 said:
As for "Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep," it is enjoying a bit of a resurrection on the new "Hippie Radio" station here in Nashville. http://www.hippieradio945.com Cool song, I can't recall ever having heard it before.

Cool station! I went to their site and listened to the livestream for a few minutes, and it stopped for some reason and I couldn't get it to connect again. What I heard sounded great, though. We need a station like that here in Southern California, I hope they are successful and spread this format (if you can call it a format). Love their calls: WHPY ("Hippie"). :)

For some reason when I open the livestream page, it plays a Bounty paper towel commercial in Spanish ???

Just got it to connect again...they're playing "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" by Royal Guardsmen.

jfrancispastirchak said:
I concur with your prophesy about that music, that it likely will never be duplicated in our lifetimes. As a "radio junkie" back in the day, I'm wondering if you ever heard that other song I mentioned in my post, Lady-O, composed and sung by the late Judie Sill. Sill was a deeply introspective songwriter for her age. Her story is remarkable; she learned guitar while serving time in a juvenile facility for armmed robbery with an accomplice much older that her. Disparing over failure to achieve superstardom, she died of a drug OD in 1979. Lady-O was copied by The Turtles.

I have to confess, I've never heard of her, but I went onto YT and listened to the song. It's a very mellow, nice sound. I like it.

Truth be told, there isn't much from that time period I wouldn't like, because IMHO music was just so much better then.

I will be downloading more songs of hers from YT and adding them to my collection, thanks! :)

SolidGold16 said:
firepoint525 said:
Cool station! I went to their site and listened to the livestream for a few minutes, and it stopped for some reason and I couldn't get it to connect again. What I heard sounded great, though. We need a station like that here in Southern California, I hope they are successful and spread this format (if you can call it a format). Love their calls: WHPY ("Hippie"). :)
For some reason when I open the livestream page, it plays a Bounty paper towel commercial in Spanish ???
Just got it to connect again...they're playing "Snoopy vs. the Red Baron" by Royal Guardsmen.
They are doing some temporary power downgrades (for the safety of their engineers) while their guys are up there on the tower doing their work. I live close enough to their tower that it probably wouldn't affect my reception of them. Not sure if it would affect their stream in any way, but maybe they are having bugs with it, too.

If you heard "Snoopy and the Red Baron," you must have been listening about the same time that I was, because I recall hearing it yesterday afternoon, too.

SolidGold16 said:
firepoint525 said:
Ditto! Great, upbeat treatment of some of the greatest tunes from music's most inovative era.

SolidGold16 said:
jfrancispastirchak said:
I have to confess, I've never heard of her, but I went onto YT and listened to the song. It's a very mellow, nice sound. I like it. I will be downloading more songs of hers from YT and adding them to my collection, thanks! :)
Promo copies of Judie Sill's 1st album hit college radio stations everywhere in 1970. But college stations appeared to be the only ones playing Lady-O. Never caught on commerically in the states. At the time, I was managing the now defunct U of Albuquerque's campus FM station. I auditioned this number and fell in love with it's hauntingly beautiful, classically styled riffs. I was confident that a generation captivated by Gordon Lightfoot's If You Could Read My Mind would also embrace Judy Sill. Never happened though. She died a talented but obscure performer.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom