• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Q102's Jenny Lynn spotted working at Food Lion

K

kyleP

My girlfriend and her mother went to the Winchester Food Lion recently, well I should say one of the Winchester Food Lions since that town has how many? 5?

Anyway, when they went to the check out they noticed the woman at the register looked familiar. They noticed that on her nameplate was the name "Jenny". Leaving the store still thinking "..damn..she looks familiar", it was only on the way home that it dawned upon them..Jenny Lynn from Q102 !!

At first I didn't believe it when they told me, so I went to www.svrtv.net and sure enough, it says that Jenny Lynn was "last reported" working at a local grocery store.

Interesting that ten years ago she was the most popular dj on the air in the entire region, yet ten years later she is working at a Food Lion. My girlfriend went on about "how the mighty has fallen". I disagree with that, at least Jenny is working !! Sadly I have met a number of former radio announcers over the years who rather live on unemployement and file bankruptcy while they between radio jobs rather than to dare work at a job that is non-broadcast related.

After saying that, I do wonder though consider how popular Jenny was back then, I am still surprised that WZRV Oldies 95.3 hasn't put her on the radio there since after all her husband Randy Woodward works there plus the GM is Mike O'Dell who at one time ( and for many years ) was Q102's GM.

If not WZRV, wonder why no one else picked her up for their staffs? I know she went to the now defunct Apple Country 104.9/105.5 but was let go when those stations went classic rock ( myself I think she would do just fine playing classic rock ).

Was she fired from Q102 or did she leave on her own terms? Over the years I heard both. I do know that Q102 went through some major changes among its staff when Jenny was their PD unlike her husband Randy, when he was PD, Q102 had the most stable airstaff around. They Had Wendy Robbins and Kevin Fox, both were on Q102 for years and years but when Jenny became PD, it seemed like overnight both were gone.

My uncle back in the mid 1990's used to work for the Frederick County ( Virginia ) Sheriffs Department and I remember him telling me about the many of times they were called out to Q102 ( back when they were located west of Winchester ) to handle what he called "stupid issues" such as the announcer who was so upset that his airshift was replaced by syndication that he was throwing crap around the building, destroying a desk in the process or when two jocks got into a fist fight in the parking lot over who got more airtime on Q102.
Then at one of their Best Ribs in the Valley contests which Q102 sponsored, there was an incident where someone on the Q staff got into a fight with someone at another radio station ( WINC ? )because they decided to attend a Q102 event.

There were many more of these stories my uncle was telling me, so many of them in fact that it had got to a point where they received a call from Q102 it was like "..here we go again !!".

All of this happened during Jenny's days as PD. Neither he or I are in no way in saying that Jenny Lynn had anything to do with these incidents, could be a simple case of not finding a quality ( normal ) airstaff, but it does make me wonder that maybe these stories which I am sure were told at the other stations in the market and even among the business community in general, is a big reason why Jenny isn't on the radio today.

It happens. I went from being a medium market PD with a wall full of awards to a Barnes&Noble slave to a major market producer.

As for the reason why some go on un-employment instead of finding alternate employment, you have to understand the success process. When you start out in radio, you're part of a pack of competitive, aggresive crowd all vying for a few jobs. One by one, the pack winnows down as some leave and "settle" for desk jobs, sales jobs, Sears jobs. Hardly anybody comes back at that point to be successful in radio. In the end, the people who get the jobs may not be the most talented, but the most focused. When I was part of that pack, we would talk about those who we knew would never make it past the weekend gig and say, "Sears has a pant-suit sales position for him".

It's a fear that you'll never get back in, and it's mostly true.

<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Poppinjay on 03/17/06 03:01 PM.</FONT></P>

Could be that she's just one of those folks with enough sense to accept the salary raise at Food Lion and leave radio behind! Or, having gone through the only two local radio companies--and not wishing to spend 24/7 with her spouse at Front Royal (usually a good idea)--maybe she's just run out of stations. Martinsburg is a short commute, but Prettyman never has any turnover, and everything else (Harrisonburg, Hagerstown) is a lonnnnng commute. Something to remember, though: she was/is a hell of a good air-talent, and that ability doesn't disappear. Perhaps when the time is right, she'll find herself behind the mike again. In the meantime, we all just hope she's happy doing the Food Lion thing...

> My girlfriend and her mother went to the Winchester Food
> Lion recently, well I should say one of the Winchester Food
> Lions since that town has how many? 5?
>
> Anyway, when they went to the check out they noticed the
> woman at the register looked familiar. They noticed that on
> her nameplate was the name "Jenny". Leaving the store still
> thinking "..damn..she looks familiar", it was only on the
> way home that it dawned upon them..Jenny Lynn from Q102 !!
>
> At first I didn't believe it when they told me, so I went to
> www.svrtv.net and sure enough, it says that Jenny Lynn was
> "last reported" working at a local grocery store.
>
> Interesting that ten years ago she was the most popular dj
> on the air in the entire region, yet ten years later she is
> working at a Food Lion. My girlfriend went on about "how
> the mighty has fallen". I disagree with that, at least
> Jenny is working !! Sadly I have met a number of former
> radio announcers over the years who rather live on
> unemployement and file bankruptcy while they between radio
> jobs rather than to dare work at a job that is non-broadcast
> related.
>
> After saying that, I do wonder though consider how popular
> Jenny was back then, I am still surprised that WZRV Oldies
> 95.3 hasn't put her on the radio there since after all her
> husband Randy Woodward works there plus the GM is Mike
> O'Dell who at one time ( and for many years ) was Q102's GM.
>
>
> If not WZRV, wonder why no one else picked her up for their
> staffs? I know she went to the now defunct Apple Country
> 104.9/105.5 but was let go when those stations went classic
> rock ( myself I think she would do just fine playing classic
> rock ).
>
> Was she fired from Q102 or did she leave on her own terms?
> Over the years I heard both. I do know that Q102 went
> through some major changes among its staff when Jenny was
> their PD unlike her husband Randy, when he was PD, Q102 had
> the most stable airstaff around. They Had Wendy Robbins and
> Kevin Fox, both were on Q102 for years and years but when
> Jenny became PD, it seemed like overnight both were gone.
>
> My uncle back in the mid 1990's used to work for the
> Frederick County ( Virginia ) Sheriffs Department and I
> remember him telling me about the many of times they were
> called out to Q102 ( back when they were located west of
> Winchester ) to handle what he called "stupid issues" such
> as the announcer who was so upset that his airshift was
> replaced by syndication that he was throwing crap around the
> building, destroying a desk in the process or when two jocks
> got into a fist fight in the parking lot over who got more
> airtime on Q102.
> Then at one of their Best Ribs in the Valley contests which
> Q102 sponsored, there was an incident where someone on the Q
> staff got into a fight with someone at another radio station
> ( WINC ? )because they decided to attend a Q102 event.
>
> There were many more of these stories my uncle was telling
> me, so many of them in fact that it had got to a point where
> they received a call from Q102 it was like "..here we go
> again !!".
>
> All of this happened during Jenny's days as PD. Neither he
> or I are in no way in saying that Jenny Lynn had anything to
> do with these incidents, could be a simple case of not
> finding a quality ( normal ) airstaff, but it does make me
> wonder that maybe these stories which I am sure were told at
> the other stations in the market and even among the business
> community in general, is a big reason why Jenny isn't on the
> radio today.
>

> Could be that she's just one of those folks with enough
> sense to accept the salary raise at Food Lion and leave
> radio behind! Or, having gone through the only two local
> radio companies--and not wishing to spend 24/7 with her
> spouse at Front Royal (usually a good idea)--maybe she's
> just run out of stations. Martinsburg is a short commute,
> but Prettyman never has any turnover, and everything else
> (Harrisonburg, Hagerstown) is a lonnnnng commute. Something
> to remember, though: she was/is a hell of a good air-talent,
> and that ability doesn't disappear. Perhaps when the time is
> right, she'll find herself behind the mike again. In the
> meantime, we all just hope she's happy doing the Food Lion
> thing...
>

Thats my guess...maybe she just ran out of local stations.

True about Prettyman, but its interesting that they get brought up. They have Jay Young on their staff. Like Jenny, he was a former Winchester area PD, in his case it was at WINC-FM. Also like Jenny, a lot of turnover happened at WINC when he was in charge but then that has always been the case at WINC in the first place. However I believe it was under Jay that WINC went to an almost oldies format ( failed big time !! ), started calling themselves "WINK", and long-timers Debra Leigh, Martha Hege, Joe Pasquali and Don James left. Not saying they left due to Jay, just that I believe they left WINC when he was PD.
Also by living in Winchester in the late 80s/early 90s, I heard many of Jay Young stories, none of which were positive I might add.

I agree Jenny was a great talent. Too bad WEPM 1340 in Martinsburg dropped their country format. Jenny Lynn would be right at home there plus she had a very large following in Berkeley County too, so it would have been a perfect fit. But unfortantly WEPM changed their format to be like cross-town WRNR. One of the more stupid local radio decisions of the 90s.

"True about Prettyman, but its interesting that they get brought up. They have Jay Young on their staff."

Jay's been at WEPM for--what--15 years? And you're busting on him for stuff that happened (or didn't happen) at WINC a decade-or-two ago? Wow. Lighten up, man. He's a good guy and he's done a great job with 'EPM.

"Too bad WEPM 1340 in Martinsburg dropped their country format. But unfortantly WEPM changed their format to be like cross-town WRNR. One of the more stupid local radio decisions of the 90s."

They didn't drop Country (in, like, 1990???) to "be like WRNR." Most--if not all--AM stations got out of music formats when all the listeners moved to FM. Quick, name another AM ANYWHERE still doing Country successfully on the AM dial! Virtually all AM stations in the United States are doing some sort of news or talk format. And for a 1-kw AM in a town of 15,000 people, WEPM is pretty damn good. The folks at WRNR do deserve a pat on the back for managing to keep that little SOB on the air as a standalone in this day and age, but nobody out on West King Street has lost a minute's sleep worrying about them for at least 20 years. Probably more like 30.

> "True about Prettyman, but its interesting that they get
> brought up. They have Jay Young on their staff."
>
> Jay's been at WEPM for--what--15 years? And you're busting
> on him for stuff that happened (or didn't happen) at WINC a
> decade-or-two ago? Wow. Lighten up, man. He's a good guy and
> he's done a great job with 'EPM.
>
> "Too bad WEPM 1340 in Martinsburg dropped their country
> format. But unfortantly WEPM changed their format to be like
> cross-town WRNR. One of the more stupid local radio
> decisions of the 90s."
>
> They didn't drop Country (in, like, 1990???) to "be like
> WRNR." Most--if not all--AM stations got out of music
> formats when all the listeners moved to FM. Quick, name
> another AM ANYWHERE still doing Country successfully on the
> AM dial! Virtually all AM stations in the United States are
> doing some sort of news or talk format. And for a 1-kw AM in
> a town of 15,000 people, WEPM is pretty damn good. The folks
> at WRNR do deserve a pat on the back for managing to keep
> that little SOB on the air as a standalone in this day and
> age, but nobody out on West King Street has lost a minute's
> sleep worrying about them for at least 20 years. Probably
> more like 30.
>

When Jay Young was PD at WINC, that station was going through rough times. Didn't matter who the PD was, WINC was doomed regardless who was in charge.

The turnover rate KyleP. mention, well that isn't exactly right but it is true that WINC has always had a history of turnover though it has slowed down quite a bit in recent years. Joe Pasquali left WINC in 1985, Hege in 1986 and I think that was when WINC was under Frank Mitchell, not Jay Young. Don James left strictly due to illness ( he died a few years after leaving WINC ), and Debra Leigh found better work in a bigger market. She would have left anyway.

In regards to Jay Young the person, well maybe somebody worked with him on a bad hair day. Noone is going to be loved by everyone. I wish I had a dollar from everyone who has told me for example that Randy Woodward ( Q102 and Oldies 95.3 ) was, well nasty. Actually the few times I met him, I found him to be very nice.

I have always found WEPM to be better than WRNR, but truth be told a lot of their success goes more to Yogi Yoder their GM than Jay though of course Jay should ( and does ) receive a great deal of credit for WEPM's success in his own right. So does Rob Mario too. The only complaint I ahve with WEPM actually is their Sunday morning religious programming. With a station that is geared towards sports, well it just doesn't sound right. I guess the churches don't care as I have been told that there is a waiting list for chruches to be heard on WEPM. Now that is WRNR should have came in. Yes, there are quite a few reigious stations in the area but a local based one would work in conservative Martinsburg. They should drop their current news/sports format and go religion and maybe get WEPM's religious shows so 1340 can really be a 24/7 sports station. That almost happened as Shenandoah Bible Baptist Chruch or some big local church offered to buy WRNR awhile back, but WRNR for some reason said no. Big mistake on WRNR's part IMO.

> All of this happened during Jenny's days as PD. Neither he
> or I are in no way in saying that Jenny Lynn had anything to
> do with these incidents, could be a simple case of not
> finding a quality ( normal ) airstaff, but it does make me
> wonder that maybe these stories which I am sure were told at
> the other stations in the market and even among the business
> community in general, is a big reason why Jenny isn't on the
> radio today.
>

I worked for a short time in the early-mid 90's under Jenny Lynn. It was NOT one of my favorite radio experiences. She was just not program director material. And before you ask, no, I was not fired, I left - overall, I liked working there, liked the people (Wendy, Jimmy, etc)...but didn't understand her being the PD and when a better job opened up elsewhere I took it.

> It happens. I went from being a medium market PD with a wall
> full of awards to a Barnes&Noble slave to a major market
> producer.
>
> As for the reason why some go on un-employment instead of
> finding alternate employment, you have to understand the
> success process. When you start out in radio, you're part
> of a pack of competitive, aggresive crowd all vying for a
> few jobs. One by one, the pack winnows down as some leave
> and "settle" for desk jobs, sales jobs, Sears jobs. Hardly
> anybody comes back at that point to be successful in radio.
> In the end, the people who get the jobs may not be the most
> talented, but the most focused. When I was part of that
> pack, we would talk about those who we knew would never make
> it past the weekend gig and say, "Sears has a pant-suit
> sales position for him".
>
> It's a fear that you'll never get back in, and it's mostly
> true.

It is true in many and probably most cases. I for one, like many of us, have been in and out of those "between radio gig jobs" of a wide variety such as truck driver, grocery worker (yes, I too suffered employment at Food Lion in 1984 - absolutely the WORST job I ever had! A truly lousy company. To this day I still hate shopping at Food Lion!) I also worked processing and packing meat, I even washed dishes at a hospital(now, talk about a nasty job!) You do what you gotta do to pay the bills! But you know, thoughout my in-between times, I always kept my foot in the radio door part time and now I've been back in it full time for the last several years. We all have reasons for doing what we do, mine was that I needed to stay in the area I was in because of various personal ties. If it had not been for that, I would've been like many radio folk and moved from state to state at the drop of a hat. I don't know Jenny, but perhaps she has a good reason to work at Food Lion instead of taking another radio gig somewhere. She could be just sick of it all and doesn't want to get back into it. Unless she makes it known, it's all hear-say.

GRB

I can name several still doing quite well with music on the AM band. WCRK in Morristown Tn,a town of about 25K and 3 FM's, has been beating the competition for over 50 years while doing it with Adult Contemporary. WWNC in Asheville, NC was a counrty station and #1 in the market until their FM sister station went country and they fell to #2 but still had numbers in the mid teens until some idiot at Cheap Channel decided they were taking numbers from the FM and changed it to news/talk. Now they are lucky to pull a 4 or 5 in the books. I can name a few more but my point is AM radio didn't die to FM and few years back AM programming did. WEPM should have stayed country and served the Martinsburg area
and would have done well. I think WRNR could make it with maybe an oldies format but if they are doing well with talk then why change it back. With AM's once you have lost your audience to an FM it is hard to get them back.

> "Too bad WEPM 1340 in Martinsburg dropped their country
> format. But unfortantly WEPM changed their format to be like
> cross-town WRNR. One of the more stupid local radio
> decisions of the 90s."
>
> They didn't drop Country (in, like, 1990???) to "be like
> WRNR." Most--if not all--AM stations got out of music
> formats when all the listeners moved to FM. Quick, name
> another AM ANYWHERE still doing Country successfully on the
> AM dial! Virtually all AM stations in the United States are
> doing some sort of news or talk format. And for a 1-kw AM in
> a town of 15,000 people, WEPM is pretty damn good. The folks
> at WRNR do deserve a pat on the back for managing to keep
> that little SOB on the air as a standalone in this day and
> age, but nobody out on West King Street has lost a minute's
> sleep worrying about them for at least 20 years. Probably
> more like 30.
>

No problem

>>>Quick, name another AM ANYWHERE still doing Country successfully on the AM dial!

KBMR Bismarck, ND. Still in double digits.

> However I believe it was under
> Jay that WINC went to an almost oldies format ( failed big
> time !! )

It was Classic Hits when Frank Mitchell was PD, before Jay. Jay did tank it, though.

If you look closely enough, you'll see current air talent working random jobs. You would think that their bosses would get the hint and pay people enough to live on without requiring a second job. ::)

a_and_m_king said:
If you look closely enough, you'll see current air talent working random jobs. You would think that their bosses would get the hint and pay people enough to live on without requiring a second job. ::)
True, but also many stations also don't allow their employees to work a second job either. Back to Jenny, I used to work at Q102 when she was at first a music director and later the PD. I liked Jenny and she knew her country music but the decision to make her PD, just wasn't a good one. I believe to this day that EGO got the best of her. When she was MD, she was warm and friendly. PD she became a bit more rude and often crude as well not too mention her decisions were very questionable.When then Q102 owners Benchmark Communications bought WFQX 99.3, plans were that WFQX were to move into the Q102 Winchester building. But Jenny didn't like WFQX, hated their airstaff. From what I remember, Jenny somehow managed to get the "move" delayed until just about all the airstaff either quit or was fired. Once the last orignial full-time was let go, WFQX finally moved to Winchester. A Year and a half later !!No PD should have THAT much power.

a_and_m_king said:
If you look closely enough, you'll see current air talent working random jobs.  You would think that their bosses would get the hint and pay people enough to live on without requiring a second job.   ::)
It's true.  If you look at one market in particular, I know of 2 jocks from the same station that are working 2nd jobs.  There are probably more, the jocks are just keeping it on the down low.  Radio being the massive rumor mill that it is, I'm sure you all probably know who and where I'm talking about. Kudos to Jenny Lynn for going out and doing something that actually pays the bills and is probably 10 times more rewarding than a thousand years working in radio.  At least you don't have to sell your soul just to bag a few groceries.

hampsterdancer said:
Kudos to Jenny Lynn for going out and doing something that actually pays the bills and is probably 10 times more rewarding than a thousand years working in radio. At least you don't have to sell your soul just to bag a few groceries.
Really? Do these Food Lion people have a board on which they can share their passion after work??

How do you know people in the grocery industry don't have a passion for it? That's pretty presumptuous of you.

a_and_m_king said:
How do you know people in the grocery industry don't have a passion for it? That's pretty presumptuous of you.
Talk about presumption! I didn't take a position; I asked if they have a board!

pbf1 said:
a_and_m_king said:
Talk about presumption! I didn't take a position; I asked if they have a board!Gee, it appears that you might be someone that thinks pretty highly of the wages jocks get paid. Tell me, have YOU ever been faced with the decision to work at a grocery store and feed your family, or stay with only radio and starve?? I'll venture to "ASS"ume that you might be someone with a cushy chair in a corner office that has a housekeeper that does your grocery shopping so that you never have to see the lights inside Food Lion...or better yet, look at the prices and figure out if you can make it without your MVP card. I've met TONS of people who think their job at Wal-Mart and Food Lion, etc, is pretty damn great.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom