• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WHNZ Question

While listening to the Dr. Dean Edell Show this evening on WHNZ (which I believe is the station's most interesting and real show), I was surprised when I heard instrumental pieces played during the breaks when one would expect to hear commercials. For example, an instrumental snippet from "Feel Good Inc." by Gorillaz was played over and over again for about two minutes. It was followed by what sounded like music from a rap song, then immediately went back to the show. I have heard this happen several times in the past as well. Are companies simply unwilling to advertise on the station because of its poor listenership, or is there another reason why commercials sometimes don't air?

Also, does anyone on this board actually listen to WHNZ?

> While listening to the Dr. Dean Edell Show this evening on
> WHNZ (which I believe is the station's most interesting and
> real show), I was surprised when I heard instrumental pieces
> played during the breaks when one would expect to hear
> commercials. For example, an instrumental snippet from "Feel
> Good Inc." by Gorillaz was played over and over again for
> about two minutes. It was followed by what sounded like
> music from a rap song, then immediately went back to the
> show. I have heard this happen several times in the past as
> well. Are companies simply unwilling to advertise on the
> station because of its poor listenership, or is there
> another reason why commercials sometimes don't air?
>
> Also, does anyone on this board actually listen to WHNZ?
>

Spot sales are not how this station makes its money. They're selling blocks of time to the stockbrokers, and the Devil Rays also buy their time.

Still, a little more effort to plug in some PSA's might sound nice (but it could also have been a malfunction).<P ID="signature">______________
"With God as my witness, I could have sworn turkeys could fly."</P>

I listen to Lionel... but that's it. I'm not sure what's on the rest of the time, but I do know that it all makes me sleepy.

Cedric

>
>

> > Also, does anyone on this board actually listen to WHNZ?
> >
>
> Spot sales are not how this station makes its money. They're
> selling blocks of time to the stockbrokers, and the Devil
> Rays also buy their time.

One day, perhaps the Rays will be good enough to sell their games instead of having to buy time in order to have them heard. We will soon see how their "construction" project has turned out.

Geographically, our closest baseball success story is the Braves. Anybody know how much WKLS has shelled out to be the official station of the Atlanta Braves? Even the 96 Rock logo has a tomahawk on it nowadays. It could actually be a barter deal, but look at the success and coverage area of the station vs the success and popularity of the team, and you should see that it is about equal in most markets.

Someone doesnt know how to program the prophet system correctly

> > > Also, does anyone on this board actually listen to WHNZ?
>
> > >
> >
> > Spot sales are not how this station makes its money.
> They're
> > selling blocks of time to the stockbrokers, and the Devil
> > Rays also buy their time.
>
>
> One day, perhaps the Rays will be good enough to sell their
> games instead of having to buy time in order to have them
> heard. We will soon see how their "construction" project has
> turned out.
>
> Geographically, our closest baseball success story is the
> Braves. Anybody know how much WKLS has shelled out to be
> the official station of the Atlanta Braves? Even the 96
> Rock logo has a tomahawk on it nowadays. It could actually
> be a barter deal, but look at the success and coverage area
> of the station vs the success and popularity of the team,
> and you should see that it is about equal in most markets.
>

> Someone doesnt know how to program the prophet system
> correctly
>

Sounds to me the music you heard was the network filling the local spot break hole. Basicly, the local station is supposed to break away or cover that music. Someone obviously has screwed up locally or the automation system is not operating correctly. Some nets will even have tones before and after these breaks that you'll actually hear. That's the point the local station should be taking over.

Does BMI know about this? Does WHNZ pay any ASCAP or BMI fees? If not are they responsible for making sure the Los Gorillaz or whatever they are get paid?

I'll tell you If I was in the Los Grolliaz I would be making a call to Joel Bieber and making darn sure I got somebody over there to scratch off a quick check for some major pesos chop chop.

The Las Goriloos didn't make all of that great music to be part of Doctor Adel's show or anyone elses for that matter.

Now they could play a selection by Vic Dana..He's dead.

I sat too close to a halogen lamp this afternoon and it broke. There was gas everywhere.

Where's my cat?

> Does BMI know about this? Does WHNZ pay any ASCAP or BMI
> fees? If not are they responsible for making sure the Los
> Gorillaz or whatever they are get paid?

Maybe the music filler was provided by the syndicator, not the station -- if so, the syndicator's responsible for paying the license fees.

I've noticed this happening during "When Radio Was" during the weekend overnights. It sounds like they couldn't sell spots and just filled time with an oldie. The only one I can remember off the top of my head is "Rubber Ball". During this time, WHNZ will also rotate a Phil Hendrie bit reproduced to spoof the Roex show and a Laughing Cow cheese commercial presented as a "processed cheese food minute sponsored by WHNZ" to fill time.

I've also heard "vintage" Meow Mix, Mr. Clean, and Ajax commercials inserted. (I used to think those were inserted because of the nature of "When Radio Was" but they also used to play during Tom Martino's show when it was delayed to 10 pm.)

I guess I listen to WHNZ more than average, usually only after 9 pm though. Whoever does the station promos is very creative. <P ID="signature">______________
"The road to the truth is long -- and lined the entire way with annoying bastards."</P>

>
WHNZ is about the only AM station I listen to. I like Imus, Lionel, Dr. Joy Brown, and Joey Reynolds.

Joel Bieber?!

> I'll tell you If I was in the Los Grolliaz I would be making
> a call to Joel Bieber and making darn sure I got somebody
> over there to scratch off a quick check for some major pesos
> chop chop.

Don't mean to go off-topic here, but Joel Bieber?! Holy cow! I didn't think he was around anymore! I wonder if he'll be flying in on his spaceship... <P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ct2874 on 03/01/06 05:22 PM.</FONT></P>

Re: Joel Bieber?!

Yeah he's doing TV ads that say if "you've been in an accident, or even abducted by aliens..I can defend you..When you need a lawyer..LEAVE IT TO BIEBER"

eMBARRASSING!

Re: Joel Bieber?!

> Yeah he's doing TV ads that say if "you've been in an
> accident, or even abducted by aliens..I can defend you..When
> you need a lawyer..LEAVE IT TO BIEBER"
>
> eMBARRASSING!
>

Good grief, no wonder Frank Joynes dumped him from their partnership oh so many years ago now up in VA Beach...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom