• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Why?

M

Michael_Boehm

I know there is a thread about ABC Radio below, but I have a question, and thought I'd start a new thread. Why is ABC selling their stations? To make a profit? Are they losing money? Is the whole network including ESPN and Disney being sold?

> I know there is a thread about ABC Radio below, but I have a
> question, and thought I'd start a new thread. Why is ABC
> selling their stations? To make a profit? Are they losing
> money? Is the whole network including ESPN and Disney being
> sold?
>
Niether Radio Disney nor ESPN Radio is being sold. The other networks are being sold.

I think the official reason is that Disney wants ABC to focus on its core TV business.

Why ask why?

Post deleted by miamimadman. Txengineer made me feel bad.

Re: Why ask why? Starting a new thread is totally unnecessary

> All your questions cited below have been already answered,
> or are not worth asking. For the latest news check with R &
> R, or one of the many other Media news providers. By
> starting a duplicate thread you quite possibly are in
> violation of Rule # 6: "Posts across multiple boards or
> multiple posts on the same board".

And how about your own violation of the rules by your very own post.
"4. Off-topic posts. All posts should directly relate to the broadcasting industry."

What does your post have to do with the broadcast industry?
If you didn't like his post Miamimadman, there is this convient link at the bottom of his post called "Report this post to the moderator" where you can express your concerns to a moderator, who's decision it is to do whatever he/she deems necessary.

And yes I am very well aware of the irony of my post...

Re: Why ask why? Starting a new thread is totally unnecessary

Both of you (miami and TX) need to hang your heads in shame.

TX, you should have done the exact same thing you admonished miami for, which was to bring this to my attention.

miami, you know better than to try to do my job for me.<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

Re:

> > All your questions cited below have been already answered,
>
> > or are not worth asking. For the latest news check with R
> &
> > R, or one of the many other Media news providers. By
> > starting a duplicate thread you quite possibly are in
> > violation of Rule # 6: "Posts across multiple boards or
> > multiple posts on the same board".
>
> And how about your own violation of the rules by your very
> own post.
> "4. Off-topic posts. All posts should directly relate to the
> broadcasting industry."

This relates to the sale of ABC Radio stations. This post makes since. How does this not relate to the broadcast industry? A national radio company is selling there radio stations!

>
> What does your post have to do with the broadcast industry?
> If you didn't like his post Miamimadman, there is this
> convient link at the bottom of his post called "Report this
> post to the moderator" where you can express your concerns
> to a moderator, who's decision it is to do whatever he/she
> deems necessary.

What is the big problem with this post? If you didn't like it, you didn't have to respond. Let the moderator scold me. Someone explain, preferably a moderator please, so I know if I did break any rules (which I don't think I did).

The Moderator replies (in response to asked question)

> > > All your questions cited below have been already
> answered,
> >
> > > or are not worth asking. For the latest news check with
> R
> > &
> > > R, or one of the many other Media news providers. By
> > > starting a duplicate thread you quite possibly are in
> > > violation of Rule # 6: "Posts across multiple boards or
> > > multiple posts on the same board".
> >
> > And how about your own violation of the rules by your very
>
> > own post.
> > "4. Off-topic posts. All posts should directly relate to
> the
> > broadcasting industry."
>
> This relates to the sale of ABC Radio stations. This post
> makes since. How does this not relate to the broadcast
> industry? A national radio company is selling there radio
> stations!
>
> >
> > What does your post have to do with the broadcast
> industry?
> > If you didn't like his post Miamimadman, there is this
> > convient link at the bottom of his post called "Report
> this
> > post to the moderator" where you can express your concerns
>
> > to a moderator, who's decision it is to do whatever he/she
>
> > deems necessary.
>
> What is the big problem with this post? If you didn't like
> it, you didn't have to respond. Let the moderator scold me.
> Someone explain, preferably a moderator please, so I know if
> I did break any rules (which I don't think I did).

If you had broken any rules, I would have dealt with it by now. I am in agreement that, since you were starting a thread from a different point of view than what had already been discussed, the new thread was (and would still be, if we hadn't gone off on this tangent by wannabe-moderators) valid.

The interpretation of Rule #6 above is incorrect. That rule is primarily to prevent spam and to prevent people from posting identical questions after a few days if they didn't get the answer they wanted the first time.

Now, does everyone know how to use the "Report to Moderator" link so I don't have to go through an episode like this again? <P ID="signature">______________

</P>

So true...

I am wrong, and I am unanimous in that!. I thought it is somewhat redundant to start a new thread, since those questions, "Why is ABC selling their stations? To make a profit? Are they losing money? Is the whole network including ESPN and Disney being sold?", have already been answered, or at least talked about here.

> Both of you (miami and TX) need to hang your heads in shame.
> TX, you should have done the exact same thing you admonished
> miami for, which was to bring this to my attention.

> miami, you know better than to try to do my job for me.

Yes I do, I’m hanging right now, and I am sorry to Michael too. However I suggest everyone should read R & R online, or other similar radio news publications. It helps to quash reading rumors & speculation often posted on bulletin boards. There have been daily updates on the ABC situation available. Wednesday had Entercom as the preferred suitor, on Tuesday it was Citadel, Cumulus, & Emmis. And we learned from a "source" close to the negotiations:

**Along with all of ABC's owned-and-operated stations, the ABC Radio Networks is also on the block. However, Radio Disney and ESPN Radio are not included in any deal.** In fact R & R reported yesterday:

**Fiscal Q4 operating income for the company's broadcast division, which includes ABC Radio, rebounded from a loss of $75 million to a profit of $48 million. For fiscal 2005, which ended Sept. 30, operating income jumped from $245 million to $464 million.**

And may I say in closing I think it is obscene that ABC is selling their Radio Network & Stations. I will never forget Joe Vaughn, and Mary Margeret Myers. In fact ABC Radio News was the best!. If you have never visited that tribute page, now is the time!

http://abcradionews.cjb.net/

Scott

Re: So true...

ABC Radio has been bought and sold at least a couple of times, first to Cap Cities and then to Disney.

Selling stations raises cash.

The stations make money but not that much money. Compared to TV, movies and theme parks, radio is small potatoes.

This is not the first time. GE sold the NBC owned radio stations (to various buyers) and the NBC radio network (to Westwood One). Viacom spun-off the CBS owned radio stations to Infinity Radio (a separate company in which Viacom retains a major interest) and the CBS radio network to Westwood One (a Viacom subsidiary separate from CBS).

ESPN and Radio Disney are not included in the offering.

Why 100

> Both of you (miami and TX) need to hang your heads in shame.
>
> TX, you should have done the exact same thing you admonished
> miami for, which was to bring this to my attention.
>
> miami, you know better than to try to do my job for me.

Yeah, those people whose usernames are geographic
areas are a real pain.

And WHY would you call a new thread WHY?

Why, indeed!

73s from 954<P ID="signature">______________
Have You Seen <font color='#aabbcc' size='+1'>South Florida Radio History</font></P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom