• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Doug Fleming 1977-2005

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WYTZZ95FM

Dear Radio-Info visitor:

This is one of the hardest letters I have had to ever write.

As many of you have heard by now Doug Fleming our site owner and co-founder was missing since last weekend. I am deeply saddened to report to you, Doug has passed away.

His family requested I inform the Radio-Info visitors on this heartbreaking news, and waited until this time, honoring their request.

At this time I am sorry, I can’t provide any details of his death, and there have been no wake/funeral plans made. I promise you, please be patient, you will be made aware of arrangements as soon as the family makes them public.

Any questions or thoughts to be shared, are to be directed to [email protected]. I will NOT be able to discuss any personal details even via e-mail. Please honor that request.

I have been in contact with Tanim, Lance and Sam, during this sad time, as they have worked very closely with Doug, and I know 1st hand, the respect and honor Doug had for these fine individuals that made and make Radio-Info possible. But Doug’s family and I ask please do NOT contact them with questions, as they will not be able to answer them for you.

I have discussed with Sam & Lance, in the next few days they will be making e-mail accounts where you can leave your thoughts so the family can access and read them. Also, Lance, Tanim and Sam will be working on a tribute for Doug to be posted soon on the site.

As I am the person sharing this with you, and if you did not know Doug, my relationship with Doug and his family is as follows.

I have known Doug for a good amount of years. I watched him grow from a teen to an adult. I am a few years older than him, and he always respected me 110%, and I honored him for it. I love him like the brother I never had. He was the kind of person that could light my toe on fire and I could not stay mad at him. He was smart, compassionate, and loved people. And many loved him the same way.

He has a loving mother, father and sister. I have built a relationship with his family, and I always feel at ease when around them and in their house, and I cherish the feeling. Doug lived his life around love and happiness, being guided by his family, making him the great person he was and will always be in our hearts.

Let me say, Doug made it clear to me that he was so proud, thankful and he was honored at every visitor that visited Radio-Info.com, and wished he could thank everyone that visited or participated for making the site as successful as it is today. He never envisioned the site growing to such popularity.

While we are filled with sadness, I know Doug would not want us to be sad for long. So I ask for you to reflect, as you see fit, in memory or prayer, to Doug, his family, and all his loved ones.

Bill<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by lance on 07/21/05 06:37 AM.</FONT></P>

Doug was a great guy that I had the pleasure of meeting through my partner and friend JD. Our conversations, sometimes thousands of miles apart, seemed as if we were merely seconds away from each other, because of the love that we each respectfully shared for radio. It is this kind of love that brought the visions of Doug, Lance, and Tanim together, and whose thoughts and ideas were later skillfully crafted and realized, in a virtual form and in a language all too foreign to me, by Sam Buca. It is this kind of love that brought us all to Radio - Info, whether we were all thirsting to acquire more radio knowledge, or merely looking for the latest radio scoop in our respective markets. Thankfully, JD and I were very fortunate to have met with him just two weeks ago, while he was in town for business. Again we immersed ourselves in some more thoughtful conversation, while indulging in some delicious Chicago Deep Dish Pizza. Doug was such a connoisseur for Italian delicacies!

Being so young, Doug's passing has literally floored me, since I am just a few years older than him. I continue to be reminded of the very morbid philosophy of mortality, because it continues to echo through my mind as I write this, like the seconds' hand on an analog clock. This tragedy is a constant reminder to all of us that every second that passes us by is precious and we should treat it as such. Doug did, and his closest friends and acquaintances know that. Those that knew him best would say that Doug wouldn't want us to be sad for long, rather, he would want us to remember all the good times we had with him, and focus on what's most precious to each and everyone of us and live life by what brings us all together: THE LOVE OF RADIO!<P ID="signature">______________
Rob Austin
Vice President
JamTraxx Media Inc.
http://www.jamtraxxmedia.com
"Major Market Solutions for Your Radio Station's Needs!"</P>

I never knew Doug, but this is heartbreaking to me.. This site is a home away from home to me and I am saddened by his passing, My thoughts, prayers, and love is with Doug's family, the rest of radio-info's staff and everyone who has been personally touched by this lost.

Rest in peace Doug.

Take Care,
Lenks<P ID="signature">______________
Lenks
Program Director/Music Director
X Music Online
The X
Today's Best Music
http://www.xmusiconline.com/</P>

Bio:

Doug has nearly 15 years of experience in communications, ranging from large companies to emerging growth enterprises. Doug started his career working as a consultant to Motorola Corporation. Subsequently, Doug worked as an investment banker for JPMorgan, originally working on broadcasting/media deals. With the emergence of telecommunications IPOs and the slowdown of broadcasting/media consolidation, Doug began work in the communications equipment sector, with strong emphasis on optics. Core deals included those with Nortel, Corning , Finisar, Oplink and numerous others. Doug left JPMorgan to become VP of Finance for PetaLogic Corp., a company designing monolithically integrated CWDM transceiver subassemblies. After leaving PetaLogic, Doug created iN3 Partners, which is a new investment banking and strategic consulting firm specializing in communications. Doug graduated from Bowdoin College in Brunswick , ME with degrees in Political Science (Government) and Asian Studies (Chinese language). He holds a minor in Economics and enough credits for a second minor in Physics (optics).

I can not say anything more than lenks has. I wish peace for Doug, his family, and love ones. Thanks for this site Doug.

Kevin

> I never knew Doug, but this is heartbreaking to me.. This
> site is a home away from home to me and I am saddened by his
> passing, My thoughts, prayers, and love is with Doug's
> family, the rest of radio-info's staff and everyone who has
> been personally touched by this lost.
>
>
> Rest in peace Doug.
>
>
>
> Take Care,
> Lenks
>
<P ID="signature">______________
" All my life I've always had my *#@$ together...Problem is I've never been able to pick it up" (Burt Reynolds "The Longest yard")</P>

> I never knew Doug, but this is heartbreaking to me.. This
> site is a home away from home to me and I am saddened by his
> passing, My thoughts, prayers, and love is with Doug's
> family, the rest of radio-info's staff and everyone who has
> been personally touched by this lost.
>
>
> Rest in peace Doug.
>
>
>
> Take Care,
> Lenks

i never met him either but my prayers go out to his family at this sad time.
>

As a recent visitor to Radio-Info, I can appreciate the work Mr. Fleming put into it. Requiescat in pacem, amen.

Doug died way too young...

And nobody tried to save him. How he could get lost and not be found and how our medical system could not save a healthy 27 year old is amazing. Why him and not anyone else?

The good die young and the evil live forever. RIP Doug, why couldn't it be anyone else who died...<P ID="signature">______________
The Poster Formerly Known as Coxquehanna</P>

> I can not say anything more than lenks has. I wish peace for
> Doug, his family, and love ones. Thanks for this site Doug.
>
>
>
> Kevin
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> > I never knew Doug, but this is heartbreaking to me.. This
>
> > site is a home away from home to me and I am saddened by
> his
> > passing, My thoughts, prayers, and love is with Doug's
> > family, the rest of radio-info's staff and everyone who
> has
> > been personally touched by this lost.
> >
> >
> > Rest in peace Doug.
> >
> >
> >
> > Take Care,
> > Lenks
> >
>

I never knew Doug either but my prayers are with his family. I hope they can find some comfort in this sad and hard time. He did do a good job on building this site, now he is in a much better and peaceful place.
I wish his family all the best in this hard time this summer.

take care
Neal

As I stand on a mountaintop,
the great bird approaches.
He is small in my sight
But grows larger as he nears
Until I am blessed with the full sight
Of his graceful wings,
Proud countenance, strength, and good company.
All too quickly he grows small again
On the horizon
And disappears from view.

I call out,
"There! He's gone."
But gone from where?
Gone from my sight is all.
He is just as large in spirit and might
As when he left my side.
His diminished size is in me,
Not him.

But there are other mountains beyond me,
And at the precise moment when I note the great bird's
Departure from my view,
I know there are new eyes taking up the sight of him
And fresh voices calling out:

"Here he comes!" <P ID="signature">______________
GIT/MC$ d- s: a C++++$ U*++++$ P+ L++ E--- W+++$ N o K w O- M++$ V-- PS PE+ Y+ PGP !t !5 X++ R+ tv+ b++ DI++++ D++ G e* h--- r+++ y+++</P>

May Doug rest in peace. Doug and I had exchanged some emails back in time, but haven't really spoken in a while.

My condolences to the family.

TXEngineer~

Thank you Doug for helping us have a forum where we can discuss our favorite subject with others.

> Dear Radio-Info visitor:
>
> This is one of the hardest letters I have had to ever write.
>
>
> As many of you have heard by now Doug Fleming our site owner
> and co-founder was missing since last weekend. I am deeply
> saddened to report to you, Doug has passed away.
>
> His family requested I inform the Radio-Info visitors on
> this heartbreaking news, and waited until this time,
> honoring their request.
>
> At this time I am sorry, I can’t provide any details of his
> death, and there have been no wake/funeral plans made. I
> promise you, please be patient, you will be made aware of
> arrangements as soon as the family makes them public.
>
> Any questions or thoughts to be shared, are to be directed
> to [email protected]. I will NOT be able to discuss any
> personal details even via e-mail. Please honor that request.
>
>
> I have been in contact with Tanim, Lance and Sam, during
> this sad time, as they have worked very closely with Doug,
> and I know 1st hand, the respect and honor Doug had for
> these fine individuals that made and make Radio-Info
> possible. But Doug’s family and I ask please do NOT contact
> them with questions, as they will not be able to answer them
> for you.
>
> I have discussed with Sam & Lance, in the next few days they
> will be making e-mail accounts where you can leave your
> thoughts so the family can access and read them. Also,
> Lance, Tanim and Sam will be working on a tribute for Doug
> to be posted soon on the site.
>
> As I am the person sharing this with you, and if you did not
> know Doug, my relationship with Doug and his family is as
> follows.
>
> I have known Doug for a good amount of years. I watched him
> grow from a teen to an adult. I am a few years older than
> him, and he always respected me 110%, and I honored him for
> it. I love him like the brother I never had. He was the kind
> of person that could light my toe on fire and I could not
> stay mad at him. He was smart, compassionate, and loved
> people. And many loved him the same way.
>
> He has a loving mother, father and sister. I have built a
> relationship with his family, and I always feel at ease when
> around them and in their house, and I cherish the feeling.
> Doug lived his life around love and happiness, being guided
> by his family, making him the great person he was and will
> always be in our hearts.
>
> Let me say, Doug made it clear to me that he was so proud,
> thankful and he was honored at every visitor that visited
> Radio-Info.com, and wished he could thank everyone that
> visited or participated for making the site as successful as
> it is today. He never envisioned the site growing to such
> popularity.
>
> While we are filled with sadness, I know Doug would not want
> us to be sad for long. So I ask for you to reflect, as you
> see fit, in memory or prayer, to Doug, his family, and all
> his loved ones.
>
> Bill
>

I personally never knew or met Mr. Fleming, however anyone that has the love, the passion for this business, is part of a small fraternity, and even more so-- a family of people who have the same emotions about this industry.

When a voice is silenced at such a young age, it shatters us to the bone. It was said earlier, that the good seem to die young, and we question that purpose.

There are no words that can be written or spoken that will ease this pain of loss to those who knew Doug well, no matter how much we wish to make that hurt or that feeling of loss go away, it takes time to do that.

I recall just 4 years ago, that a good friend of mine in this industry passed away, and in such a manner that I questioned why the good die young. I have no answers, and like my friend, those of you who knew Doug will miss him, but will always have him with you every day of your life. Cherish that!

May G-d Bless you and Keep YOU! AMEN!

Just a thought!

Dave Michaels

<P ID="signature">______________
Dave Michaels
Davradio Productions
Dallas, Texas</P>

> > I can not say anything more than lenks has. I wish peace
> for
> > Doug, his family, and love ones. Thanks for this site
> Doug.
> >
> >
> >
> > Kevin
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > > I never knew Doug, but this is heartbreaking to me..
> This
> >
> > > site is a home away from home to me and I am saddened by
>
> > his
> > > passing, My thoughts, prayers, and love is with Doug's
> > > family, the rest of radio-info's staff and everyone who
> > has
> > > been personally touched by this lost.
> > >
> > >
> > > Rest in peace Doug.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > Take Care,
> > > Lenks
> > >
> >
>
> I never knew Doug either but my prayers are with his family.
> I hope they can find some comfort in this sad and hard time.
> He did do a good job on building this site, now he is in a
> much better and peaceful place.
> I wish his family all the best in this hard time this
> summer.
>
> take care
> Neal
>
i really dont know what to say so i will say i am very sorry to hear about doug. he was only 28. thats way to young. my condolences to his friends and family. just remember guys there is way more to life than radio! life is too short. enjoy every minute of it.<P ID="signature">______________
note to tvland...bring back wkrp!!!</P>

icon_cry.gif

-A<P ID="signature">______________

</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by RockManAC on 07/21/05 03:32 PM.</FONT></P>

>Bill, thanks for your sharing of these obviously difficult thoughts and feelings. Obviously most of us don't know Doug, but we can always appreciate the loss of a loved one or close friend.

Can you share with us a bit more about Doug and his involvement or interests in broadcasting? I'm curious to learn about the hows and whys of his getting these boards started. I'm sure I speak for all of the radio-info.com regulars when I say our thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Re: Bio:

Folks,
I'm shocked. I've only been here a year but I'm so thrilled about the site. I know it is a labor of passion. My 28 years in radio is a labor of passion also, my first on-air show was the year he was born. Doug's passing is terrible.

Peace All.

JohnnyD

As someone who's visited this website from the begining It's hard not to think back to the origins of Radio Info, and how it's grown and evolved into what it is today.

Before there was Radio Info a few of us used to post on boards like the Mid-Atlantic Radio message boards. Aside from me I remember Tanim, Lance, Metro, Richard, and I believe Doug as well. That was back around 1997 if I recall correctly, but it seems like it was ages ago.

I've always enjoyed reading Doug's posts and insights. A good example would be one of his last posts in regards to the Jack FM format:
http://www.radio-info.com/mods/board.php?Post=472103&Board=chicago

R.I.P. Doug Fleming, you will be missed.

Terrible News!

Not only is it sad news, but given what was written about Doug Fleming being "missing since last weekend" suggests to me that he may have been the victim of foul play.

Is there any way that the usual "Radio-Info.com" banner could be altered for the next few days to have that banner in black and note Doug's passing??

This is really terrible. He had some much to life ahead of him. I'm only a couple of years older than him, but it does make you think about your own life. I feel terrible for his family and may God be with them during this ordeal. <P ID="signature">______________
"...and the countdown continues until the neanderthals that govern college football do something about their pathetic postseason."--Tim Brando, Sporting News Radio</P>

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom