• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Rock N' Roll"

Wow...so you're now insulting a musician, one who is a living practitioner of rockabilly. Of course he hasn't had hits lately. Name a rockabilly artist who has.

Referring to an obscure artist as "obscure" is not insulting. As for hits, once again you're demonstrating how much you know about radio, and how little you know about music, especially in the rest of the world outside the US. Imelda May's latest rockabilly album, Tribal, hit #1 in Ireland and #3 in the UK this year. Her previous album, Mayhem, hit #1 in Ireland and #7 in the UK back in 2010.

Beside, you're once again engaging in your typical "change the subject to confuse things" bullshit. The point isn't that the one guy you mentioned was from two decades ago. The point is that it was only one guy. And, no matter who you would have used as an example, all we have is your claim that he said what you claim he said. For all we know, you just made it up! And now you're going off on a tangent to conceal the fact that you made an unsupported bullshit claim and got called on it.

Imelda May's latest rockabilly album, Tribal, hit #1 in Ireland and #3 in the UK this year. Her previous album, Mayhem, hit #1 in Ireland and #7 in the UK back in 2010.

Wonderful. Where did it chart in the US?

I didn't change the subject at all. Someone else brought up the whole rockabilly thing. I simply made a comment. I would have been happy to let it drop a couple of pages ago. You two have been belaboring it far longer than it's worth.

The only exception are one-dimensional artists like George Thorogood and the Destroyers, who managed to have multiple hits with the same terrible song slightly reworked.

Again you wander into an area you know nothing about simply because you have an opinion. George Thorogood never had a hit song. Several of his albums sold well, but 90% of the songs on those albums are covers of songs originally done by other artists. Thorogood's strength has always been his live performances.

Wonderful. Where did it chart in the US?

Who cares? What the hell difference does it make?

Again you wander into an area you know nothing about simply because you have an opinion. George Thorogood never had a hit song. Several of his albums sold well, but 90% of the songs on those albums are covers of songs originally done by other artists. Thorogood's strength has always been his live performances.

I do not give a damn about where a song placed on the Billboard charts. That's a radio thing, and I was talking about music.

When I used to listen to the #1 classic rock station in Pittsburgh all day long, because we had it on in the place where I worked, they would play George Thorogood and the Destroyers songs often, and the all sounded alike. Maybe they were turntable hits. I don't know, and I don't care. As an example of a one-dimensional band, I can't think of very many that fit that description better than George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

Can you tell me how George Thorogood and the Destroyers success or lack there of at getting people to buy their recordings makes a damn bit of difference about the fact that they were a one-dimensional act?

I do not give a damn about where a song placed on the Billboard charts. That's a radio thing, and I was talking about music.

The Billboard charts were principally used in the retail sales channels, not by radio. Radio, going back to the late 50's has had Gavin and Rudman and Hamilton and R&R and now BDS and Mediabase and All Access to see airplay, adds, market moves and such.

Obviously you do. It made a difference to you when you diminished the opinion of Marty Stuart. To you, Marty Stuart is obscure, and a popular artist in Ireland isn't. Last time I checked, I don't live in Ireland, so to me, she's obscure. And truthfully, I never said anything about rockabilly music, just the use of the word. And we really don't know how she feels about the word, other than she performs in the style.

Last edited:
I do not give a damn about where a song placed on the Billboard charts

Yes you do. You said so in your original post when you said that Thorogood had "multiple hits". A "hit" is a song that made the Billboard charts. Don't you hate it when so many posters prove that you are wrong?

Last edited:
Can you tell me how George Thorogood and the Destroyers success or lack there of at getting people to buy their recordings makes a damn bit of difference about the fact that they were a one-dimensional act?

I saw them on stage last summer. They looked three dimensional to me.

Last edited:
As an example of a one-dimensional band, I can't think of very many that fit that description better than George Thorogood and the Destroyers.

Let me help you with your thoughts: Hank Williams, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Elmore James and Robert Johnson. George Thorogood makes a living by covering these artists. It's called "keeping the music alive". Thank goodness he does because ota radio certainly doesn't. I guess by your standards the artists Thorogood covers would be "one dimensional".

The Billboard charts were principally used in the retail sales channels, not by radio. Radio, going back to the late 50's has had Gavin and Rudman and Hamilton and R&R and now BDS and Mediabase and All Access to see airplay, adds, market moves and such.

in that case, I do not give a damn about where a song placed on the Billboard Charts. That's a retail business thing, and I was talking about music. Regardless of who cares about Billboard charts, I don't.

Obviously you do. It made a difference to you when you diminished the opinion of Marty Stuart. To you, Marty Stuart is obscure, and a popular artist in Ireland isn't. Last time I checked, I don't live in Ireland, so to me, she's obscure. And truthfully, I never said anything about rockabilly music, just the use of the word. And we really don't know how she feels about the word, other than she performs in the style.

I "diminished" the opinion of Marty Stuart because all I have to go on that it really is his opinion is that you said so. And I don't regard you as a credible source of information about anything.

Yes you do. You said so in your original post when you said that Thorogood had "multiple hits". A "hit" is a song that made the Billboard charts. Don't you hate it when so many posters prove that you are wrong?

A "turntable" hit is as much a hit as a retail store sales "hit".

Let me help you with your thoughts: Hank Williams, Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Elmore James and Robert Johnson. George Thorogood makes a living by covering these artists. It's called "keeping the music alive". Thank goodness he does because ota radio certainly doesn't. I guess by your standards the artists Thorogood covers would be "one dimensional".

Mo, I only regarded Thorogood as one dimensional because the songs of his that were played way too often on WDVE all sounded alike. They also sounded like crap, so I never made any attempt to seek out any of his other recordings to see if they might be better.

Last edited:
Anyone who can tell one Chuck Berry song from another can probably also tell one Road Runner & Coyote cartoon from another...

And I don't regard you as a credible source of information about anything.

Based on my following of BigA's consistently logical and well grounded posts, I find him an eminently credible source. We may have different perspective on what the facts mean, but that does not detract from his credibility. Your posts, on the other hand, seldom reflect verifiable fact, often suggest doing things proven over and over not to work in the real world, and are loaded with opinions based only on personal taste and conjecture.

A "turntable" hit is as much a hit as a retail store sales "hit".

No, it's not. A turntable hit is one that got lots of airplay, but for which there is no empirical evidence of listener acceptance that can be discovered today. In some cases, requests drove the airplay of such songs. But in most cases the station simply needed "one more up tempo song" or "one more ballad" to balance what the PD considered to be a slightly off-target playlist. So, really, turntable hits, before we had callout starting well into the 70's, were simply songs a station played with little or no "proof of concept" to justify the airplay.

Many so-called "turntable hits" were actually stiffs that did not generate sales because nobody liked them well enough to buy them.

Anyone who can tell one Chuck Berry song from another can probably also tell one Road Runner & Coyote cartoon from another...

The only person who can do that is one who has memorized the complete Acme product catalog. The differences in the cartoons are fundamentally established by which of the many Acme items are deployed by the coyote.

Considering that he usually agrees with you, I'm not surprised.

In some things, I've agreed with you too.

I like rockabilly, and I've even made the pilgrimage to Sun Studios in Memphis, and I'd done numerous interviews with artists and writers who have recorded roots rock and rockabilly music. That's as much as I want to say about my background. If that hurts my credibility, so be it.

Considering that he usually agrees with you, I'm not surprised.

Considering that there is concordance in the knowledge of the actual facts, agreement on them is to be expected.

Rockabilly isn't a huge issue. Marty is a traditionalist. There are some who would say he is not a traditionalist, because he is not old enough. He managed to become a part of the industry at the exact time it began to become more commercialized, so he can walk the line better than just about any artist. Hee Haw and Beverly Hillbillies were tolerated, but I think most Nashvillians that actually grew up in the city were not fans of the shallow portrayal of Southerners or Nashville. Them cowboy hats are pretty much on them tourists who know no better and the stages when the country artists play the part. The majority of true Nashvillians that have lived in the city for a few decades pretty much are long over the insults and negative images. Most are educated and have seen the world and the city is amazingly vibrant and progressive and is one of the best places to live in America. The crap most people "think" it is doesn't really exist. Thankfully, it's being erased quickly these days. We have plenty of damn Yankees here and we are just fine with most of them. As long as them moronz don't insult us with their know-it-all attitudes. Then we git in our pickemup trucks and, we'll just say on here, run 'em to the county line.

Last edited:
Perhaps Marty Stuart had his own reasons for disliking the term "rockabilly". Maybe there are others who felt the same way.

The problem is that Southerners are not the only musicians and fans of the genre. It's a worldwide genre of music, and it has been for a long time, and rockabilly is the term used for the genre of music.

The Stray Cats, for example, came out of the rockabilly scene in the UK, which was going on in the late 70's - early 80's.

Perhaps Marty Stuart had his own reasons for disliking the term "rockabilly". Maybe there are others who felt the same way.

And maybe Marty doesn't dislike the term at all! All we've seen is that TheBigA claims that he said it. Maybe TheBigA was mistaken. Maybe TheBigA took it out of context. Maybe TheBigA just made it up. Or maybe Marty is the only musician who plays rockabilly who doesn't like the word, and all the other rockabilly musicians think Marty is full of sheep-dip for saying he dislikes the term rockabilly.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom