• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

590 AM in Clewiston -- would an upgrade make sense?

F

FloridaBear1776

590 AM covers a good chunk of the Everglades day and night, even with the Cuban interference.

Would it make sense to try to upgrade the signal to throw a large lobe east over WPB day and night, a la 640 and 850, either with the current format, or with something else?

Only obstacle I can see is the need to protect WIOD's citygrade signal, which would mean no big lobes over Broward, and the station would have to survive or not as a WPB market operation.

> 590 AM covers a good chunk of the Everglades day and night,
> even with the Cuban interference.
>
> Would it make sense to try to upgrade the signal to throw a
> large lobe east over WPB day and night, a la 640 and 850,
> either with the current format, or with something else?

They actually have or have had, either an app or a CP for Cape Coral with 5kw.

Don't know how much of a good idea it would be..With the current format, they are actually the default Mexican Music station for the entire Southeast portion of Florida.

It's amazing how with all the Spanish stations in the Miami market (I'm going to take the risk and say there are more in this market than in any other US market besides Puerto Rico), there are, amazingly, none that target a Mexican audience since WOIR/1430 in Homestead was transferred to a Religious group. WAFC in Clewiston runs ads and has calls from Lauderdale and Florida City on a chronic basis. There's a pretty large Mexican population in South Dade. Not sure if Glades Media has looked at their options for upgrading the signal southeast, but they own a station in West Palm with a similar format (it's even called "Radio Fiesta" like WAFC), so any gain would have to be towards Miami, and, well, you have IOD there to contend with.

> It's amazing how with all the Spanish stations in the Miami
> market (I'm going to take the risk and say there are more in
> this market than in any other US market besides Puerto
> Rico),

LA and Fresno beat Miami.

LA has AM on 830, 1020, 930, 1330, 1220. FM on 107.5, 107.1, 103.9, 101.9, 105.5, 97.5, 96.7, 97.9. 98.3 96.3 and two on 94.5

Fresno has about 15.

| there are, amazingly, none that target a Mexican
> audience since WOIR/1430 in Homestead was transferred to a
> Religious group.

Mexican population is less than 5% of Miami MSA. And not all Mexicnas like the same kind of music, as LA and Fresno prove.

Miami vs. Calif.

> > It's amazing how with all the Spanish stations in the
> Miami
> > market (I'm going to take the risk and say there are more
> in
> > this market than in any other US market besides Puerto
> > Rico),
>
> LA and Fresno beat Miami.
>
> LA has AM on 830, 1020, 930, 1330, 1220. FM on 107.5, 107.1,
> 103.9, 101.9, 105.5, 97.5, 96.7, 97.9. 98.3 96.3 and two on
> 94.5
>
> Fresno has about 15.

Hrm.

Miami on AM:

1080 (practically so, it's brokered but nearly the entire schedule is Spanish preaching, they even have station produced imaging in Spanish)
1450 (again, lots of Creole at night but "Union Radio" is positioned as a Spanish station, here, too, with Spanish imaging).

That's 9 so far, on AM.

FM band:

94.9 (yeah, gotta count this one!)
106.3 (sry, it's licensed to Key Largo, but since they think they're Miami, they play in the game too)

I have 18 here. I counted 17 for LA, and you said 15 for Fresno (did you take into account the recently departed 790 AM over there?)..OK, LA has that KSFV-LP on Channel 6 that 'thinks' it's actually 87.7 FM and ignores its visual signal (for a tie at 18?), and maybe you didn't count noncoms, don't really keep up there.

The 98.3/103.9 "Recuerdos" in LA is really one station as it's a simulcast. I couldn't get 98.3 anywhere I was at in LA, only 103.9.

Re: Miami vs. Calif.

> > > It's amazing how with all the Spanish stations in the
> > Miami
> > > market (I'm going to take the risk and say there are
> more
> > in
> > > this market than in any other US market besides Puerto
> > > Rico),
> >
> > LA and Fresno beat Miami.
> >
> > LA has AM on 830, 1020, 930, 1330, 1220. FM on 107.5,
> 107.1,
> > 103.9, 101.9, 105.5, 97.5, 96.7, 97.9. 98.3 96.3 and two
> on
> > 94.5
> >
> > Fresno has about 15.
>
> Hrm.
>
> Miami on AM:
>
> 670
> 710
> 830
> 1080 (practically so, it's brokered but nearly the entire
> schedule is Spanish preaching, they even have station
> produced imaging in Spanish)

If you include this and 1450, I would have to include KALI-FM plus 900 AM, 1190 AM and 1580 AM in LA... I purposely excluded brokered stations that are open to any kind of format that include Spanish.

LA has 21 signals with daily Spanish programming.

> 1140
> 1210
> 1260
> 1450 (again, lots of Creole at night but "Union Radio" is
> positioned as a Spanish station, here, too, with Spanish
> imaging).
> 1550
>
> That's 9 so far, on AM.
>
> FM band:
>
> 88.3

1 kw at 175 feet... a pretty limited station.

> 90.9

Where is this... it is not home to dade & Broward?

> 92.3
> 94.9 (yeah, gotta count this one!)
> 95.7
> 98.3
> 106.3 (sry, it's licensed to Key Largo, but since they think
> they're Miami, they play in the game too)

Then I would include 690 from Tijuana, which thinks it is going to be LA's talk station, and the Spanish station in Palmdale (LA County) and several of the Riverside market stations. 106.3 is not regularly receivable on most radios north of Homestead.

> 106.7
> 107.5
>
> I have 18 here. I counted 17 for LA,

If I add non-coms and stuff on the border of the market and brokered stations, I get 25 or 26 in LA.

> and you said 15 for
> Fresno (did you take into account the recently departed 790
> AM over there?)..

BIA shows 18 Spanish home to market as of Friday, and there are 8 or 9 others that penetrate much or part of the market due to the high ground conductivity in the area.

> OK, LA has that KSFV-LP on Channel 6 that
> 'thinks' it's actually 87.7 FM and ignores its visual signal
> (for a tie at 18?), and maybe you didn't count noncoms,
> don't really keep up there.

I think LA wins with over 25 signals targeting all or part of the market.
>
> The 98.3/103.9 "Recuerdos" in LA is really one station as
> it's a simulcast. I couldn't get 98.3 anywhere I was at in
> LA, only 103.9.

"Recuerdo" not "recuerdos"... May be one station, but each covers a different area. Analogy would be were the 88.3 to put in a Broward signal. Still two stations, legally capable of separate programming.

103.9 is South Central and northern OC, while 98.3 is the San Gabriel Valley. 98.3 has the bigger signal.

Gee, it is tough to count these things. The real point is that a number of markets have well over 10 Spanish signals... and that includes dallas, Houston, El Paso, San Diego, McAllen, as well as Miami, LA and Fresno.

Of course, Puerto Rico has 124 out of 126 stations in Spanish.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom