• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

WRBQ's Mason Dixon injured in traffic accident

tparadio1

Inactive
Inactive User
Received word that Mason Dixon from WRBQ was injured today (Sat) in a traffic crash in the Oldsmar area. Word has it he was leaving a remote broadcast and was struck by a SUV. We was transported to St Josephs Hospital where he underwent surgery. Air personalities on WRBQ are advising he has a fractured collar bone..punctured lung and had to have his spleen removed. He is reported to be alert and should recover. Thoughts and wishes are with him and his family.

> Received word that Mason Dixon from WRBQ was injured today
> (Sat) in a traffic crash in the Oldsmar area. Word has it
> he was leaving a remote broadcast and was struck by a SUV.
> We was transported to St Josephs Hospital where he underwent
> surgery. Air personalities on WRBQ are advising he has a
> fractured collar bone..punctured lung and had to have his
> spleen removed. He is reported to be alert and should
> recover. Thoughts and wishes are with him and his family.
>

Yes it's true. Here's an e-mail I received:

He was leaving a remote driving on Mobley Rd, two lanes one each way...a 19 year old girl driving an SUV in the other direction swerved off the road then over compensated, swerved into Mason's lane and T-boned him. He was in his baby of all vehicles...a 71 Challenger, or was it Charger??...anyway, it's one he loves so much he air conditions the garage is sits in. It's gone!! I saw pictures, the SUV hit inches behind the drivers side door and sliced the car in half!!!

Mason's will be in ICU for two days at least. They took out his spleen. He has a chest tube because a lung collapsed, also they think his ribs are fractured and he has a broken collar bone. The next 24 hours will be important because they say they'll have to watch closely for infection.

Of course Mason's more upset about the car being trashed than he is about loosing his spleen ;) That's so mason!!<P ID="signature">______________
-brian holmes
APD/afternoons - Fly 92-1 Ft Walton Beach
Owner/Webmaster - www.ThePowerPig.com
An Online Tribute to WFLZ/Tampa
(now with 225+ free historical audio cuts)</P>

>
I saw a story about Mason Dixon on Howard Hewes's website www.howardhewes.com Howard was on the air in Tampa Bay for years and now is in Atlanta. He's still crazy - has a funny blog, rant, whatever.

> He was leaving a remote driving on Mobley Rd, two lanes one
> each way...a 19 year old girl driving an SUV in the other
> direction swerved off the road then over compensated,
> swerved into Mason's lane and T-boned him.

I was watching a story on one of the network newsmagazine shows about how teenage drivers are so easily distracted. It makes me wonder what caused her to swerve like that... a cell phone call? passengers being playful?

> I was watching a story on one of the network newsmagazine
> shows about how teenage drivers are so easily distracted.
> It makes me wonder what caused her to swerve like that... a
> cell phone call? passengers being playful?

I've seen older drivers be distracted as well; I don't know that it's fair to paint with a broad brush in this particular situation until the facts are known about the other driver.

I'm glad to hear that Mason is on the mend, and I wish him the best in his recovery.<P ID="signature">______________
Lou Pickney
Tampa, FL
RadioHotTalk.com & VarietyHits.com</P>

Re: Picture of the car

WFTS 28 article, w/ picture

http://www.28news.com/stories/2005/06/050620dixon.shtml

anything new

on Mason's condition and recovery? Hope he's doing better now.

Re: anything new

> on Mason's condition and recovery? Hope he's doing better
> now.
>

Again, this is from an e-mail I received this morning:

Quick update: we got the call we've been waiting for this morning...Mason called the show and says he's been moved out of ICU - PRAISE GOD!!

He sounded good, all things considered, said he has staples from his belly button all the way up from the surgery. He's still in pain, but things are looking up. He wants you all to know what a huge help all your prayers and support have been through this life changing experience.

His wife has asked me to let everyone know they're having security issues at the hospital so anyone who wants to send anything to mason should send it to the radio station...we'll bring it over too him in trips as we each go see him.

Send to WRBQ/Mason Dixon Get Well
9721 Executive Center Drive Suite 200
St. Petersburg, Florida
<P ID="signature">______________
-brian holmes
APD/afternoons - Fly 92-1 Ft Walton Beach
Owner/Webmaster - www.ThePowerPig.com
An Online Tribute to WFLZ/Tampa
(now with 225+ free historical audio cuts)</P>

Who knows,it could be nothing. I'm glad he got out of the hospital!<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by robk on 06/30/05 11:43 PM.</FONT></P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom