• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Lots of English on 890--but not ESPN

DanStrassberg

Star Participant
Too early yet to say that 890/1400's flip to ESPN won't take place today, as had been rumored; June 15 still has almost 15 hours to run. However, a quick listen to 890 shortly after 9:00 AM brought in a stop-set of mostly PSAs, most of which were in English. As yet, though, there has been no hint of ESPN programming. I guess that if you are going to do a flip of this sort and you don't want to spend any money promoting it, raising expectations and having radio geeks do the promotion for you for free on message boards such as this one is as good a way as any to attract attention.

P.S. The time of posting this message is in GMT, four hours ahead of EDT because I have not figured out where on this site one adjusts his time zone. In any event, there WERE almost 15 hours of June 15 remaining when I wrote the post.

> Too early yet to say that 890/1400's flip to ESPN won't take
> place today, as had been rumored; June 15 still has almost
> 15 hours to run. However, a quick listen to 890 shortly
> after 9:00 AM brought in a stop-set of mostly PSAs, most of
> which were in English. As yet, though, there has been no
> hint of ESPN programming. I guess that if you are going to
> do a flip of this sort and you don't want to spend any money
> promoting it, raising expectations and having radio geeks do
> the promotion for you for free on message boards such as
> this one is as good a way as any to attract attention.
>
> P.S. The time of posting this message is in GMT, four hours
> ahead of EDT because I have not figured out where on this
> site one adjusts his time zone. In any event, there WERE
> almost 15 hours of June 15 remaining when I wrote the post.

I was listening at midnight, and was disappointed to not hear a change (well, actually I would rather it not change, but never mind). Mega was definately running the station on the cheap last night, simulcasting "El Mixshow con DJ Eric" from co-owned WBPS-FM in Washington, D.C. (call letters derived, of course, from 890). WAMG broke away from "El Mixshow" at 11:00PM, and played one commercial break during the 11PM hour. However, unlike what you heard, this commercial break was real commericals; I recall one for Comcast with David Ortiz in Spanish.

As of 10:37 EST, WAMG 890/WLLH 1400 are currently playing Spanish Tropical music with liners, however, I have not heard a break in the last 15 minutes. Perhaps there will be a change at 12 noon?

> Too early yet to say that 890/1400's flip to ESPN won't take
> place today, as had been rumored; June 15 still has almost
> 15 hours to run.

I tuned in awhile back and also heard espanol, including "la nueva
Mega"--the NEW Mega...yes, no sign of ESPN yet but maybe later, like
at noon, or 5 pm, or next Friday, or maybe sometime before Labor Day...

> I tuned in awhile back and also heard espanol, including "la
> nueva
> Mega"--the NEW Mega...

They've been calling themselves "La Nueva Mega" ever since the move from 1150 to 890. The Washington stations, the Orlando station, and probably the Philadelphia station all refer to themselves as "La Nueva Mega".

Time

> P.S. The time of posting this message is in GMT, four hours
> ahead of EDT because I have not figured out where on this
> site one adjusts his time zone. In any event, there WERE
> almost 15 hours of June 15 remaining when I wrote the post.

Dan

Click on "My Account" underneat the main banner at the top.
Click on Display Preferences, it is the first setting.

yes, that's what I figured. A station can go as long as 2 years these days as say "the new XXXX", it seems!

Noontime--still no ESPN
> They've been calling themselves "La Nueva Mega" ever since
> the move from 1150 to 890. The Washington stations, the
> Orlando station, and probably the Philadelphia station all
> refer to themselves as "La Nueva Mega".
>

can't wait for ESPN radio again.... I used to listen to it on WEEI before they put on all the Fox sports junk....

> can't wait for ESPN radio again.... I used to listen to it
> on WEEI before they put on all the Fox sports junk....
>
Nadie sabe cuando la emisora irá al idioma inglés ESPN. Para ahora es todavía español Idioma. (freetranslation.com..."nobody knows when the English-language ESPN broadcast will start. For now it's still Spanish language")

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom