• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

KTHT 97.1 & KHPT 106.9 Should Both Stunt!

P

PassDutch

I doubt Cox Houston should stunt its 2 stations -- KTHT should become an adult hits (Jack/Bob) station, while 106.9 could go urban AC sooner or later...leave KLDE alone.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by PassDutch on 06/13/05 10:53 PM.</FONT></P>

Why? Has there been any indication that they would do this? Elaborate please.

> I doubt Cox Houston should stunt its 2 stations -- KTHT
> should become an adult hits (Jack/Bob) station, while 106.9
> could go urban AC sooner or later...leave KLDE alone.
>

> > I doubt Cox Houston should stunt its 2 stations -- KTHT
> > should become an adult hits (Jack/Bob) station, while
> 106.9
> > could go urban AC sooner or later...leave KLDE alone.
> >
>

KTHT's ratings are about as good as you are going to get on that signal. The "Country Legends" format is working really well, so I doubt Cox will mess with that.

I would love to see KHPT go Urban AC, as I said Majic 102(.1) needs some SERIOUS competiton.

I doubt KLDE will change. The ratings are trending upward again.

<P ID="signature">______________
KVIL Highland Park
KVIL-FM Highland Park/Dallas-Fort Worth
Thanks for the memories Ron Chapman!</P>

KLDE

yeah, man- what are they, all the way up to #13 or something now?

>
> I doubt KLDE will change. The ratings are trending upward
> again.
>

Re: KLDE

At least Houston still has an Oldies station :)

> yeah, man- what are they, all the way up to #13 or something
> now?
>
> >
> > I doubt KLDE will change. The ratings are trending upward
>
> > again.
> >
>
<P ID="signature">______________
I listen to what I like.
Ratings be Damned.</P>

> yeah, man- what are they, all the way up to #13 or something
> now?
>
You have to look at the demos they are going after. Not the overall shares. Also, it's Cox's 2nd highest rated station right now. I didn't say it was great and I wasn't gushing over them. I just said they were trending upward.<P ID="signature">______________
KVIL Highland Park
KVIL-FM Highland Park/Dallas-Fort Worth
Thanks for the memories Ron Chapman!</P>

> Leave 97.1 alone it is a perfect nitch format that nicely compliments 93Q Country. Turn 1069 into a Buzz that leans personality that counter the Buzz with there clocks and has real fast paced sound. I fall tired after 20 minutes listening to the Buzz. They do not excite my listening ear. The jocks are all sounding like they do not want to be there and are watching TV between songs. Perhaps its just me but it is worn. This is not to slam the jocks they most likely are good peeps! I think anyone could fall into this pattern.
>

> At least Houston still has an Oldies station :)
>
>
> > yeah, man- what are they, all the way up to #13 or
> something
> > now?
> >
> > >
> > > I doubt KLDE will change. The ratings are trending
> upward
> >
> > > again.
> > >
> >
>

Not for long. Oldies' days in major markets are numbered. Big rumor that KLUV in Dallas is about to get the axe. I nor anybody else can confirm this, but it's a big rumble.

Just remember that KCBS and WCBS before yanked off the air were still two of the top performing oldies stations in the country. They still billed well.
The decision to flip formats was a result of projected revenue hits calculated after ratings and revenue began trending downward after the year 2000, almost a 40 percent decline.
While the overall numbers are healthy and the billing by itself may look acceptable, it's clear that Infinity among others is looking for long-term futures with its stations and skewing younger, they hope, will accomplish that.

Same thing with KLOL. CC flipped a station that at the time was still at a very respectable rating both in the dry 12+ numbers and in the real numbers. They were also still just getting by with revenue turnover.
However, looking into the future, CC saw nothing but decline for the heritage station and decided to kill it before things got bad.
I'm not impressed with Cox's effort on their Houston stations, but I do think they will start looking at whether KLDE can continue to get the same mediocre ratings for at least another three years.
Unfortunately for you oldies fans, my intuition tells me their answer to that question will be no.

> I'm not impressed with Cox's effort on their Houston
> stations, but I do think they will start looking at whether
> KLDE can continue to get the same mediocre ratings for at
> least another three years.
> Unfortunately for you oldies fans, my intuition tells me
> their answer to that question will be no.
>
In a city like Houston with a limited amount of English-language FM's compared to many other major markets, you think Cox would have changed both The Point and Oldies. The only move that Cox has done is add a new morning show to KKBQ in the Country war with KILT. Cox has kept KHPT on the air at least two years too long, I wouldn't look for any action from Cox in changing formats.

Cox has neither the ability or fortitude to change the format of any of their stations. Business will be continue on as it has, meaning the stations will run themselves. The fact that Cox pulls semi-decent ratings on their stations just shows the pitiful state of Houston radio.

The closest thing Houston has to great radio is BizRadio on KXYZ and that is only on from 6am to 6pm. KSBJ 89.3 may be the best run fulltime station in Houston with their Contemporary Christian format. KACC 89.7 is the next best station, but unfortunately they have a poor signal in much of Houston. I would love to see KACC get an upgrade, but that is very unlikely financially and they are on a crowded frequency.

Mike O

> > Leave 97.1 alone ......

I disagree. Open and broaden that playlist with some air personalities who know what they are doing and how to entertain. Some have seem to forgotten the old reliable proverb, "In order to make money, you have to spend money." It works. I've seen it happen.

> > > Leave 97.1 alone ......
>
> I disagree. Open and broaden that playlist with some air
> personalities who know what they are doing and how to
> entertain. Some have seem to forgotten the old reliable
> proverb, "In order to make money, you have to spend money."
> It works. I've seen it happen.
>
Have said many time, need spend money to make. Country Legends format personality driven, need air talent to really succeed. Cox too screwed to understand concept. Biz Radio KXYZ good example, spent much money B4 going on air, will reap benefits many X over.

M

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom