• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

NOTHING special about KFNC

D-I-B

Inactive
Inactive User
I tried listening for substantial segments during morning and afternoon drive. This sounds like a bad impression of 740's news. Yes, they have news in the afternoon, but I thought there was supposed to be some edge and commentary and whatnot. NO WHATNOT to be found yesterday. Where's the WHATNOT???

> I tried listening for substantial segments during morning
> and afternoon drive. This sounds like a bad impression of
> 740's news. Yes, they have news in the afternoon, but I
> thought there was supposed to be some edge and commentary
> and whatnot. NO WHATNOT to be found yesterday. Where's the
> WHATNOT???
>

So, those of you who lived here long before I moved here... is KFNC just another bad YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUU 106.9?

I flipped it on driving around Monday and didn't last longer than 3 minutes. They were entertaining themselves in the studio, but it was pretty boring not knowing the inside jokes driving down the street.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz<P ID="signature">______________
...co-moderator of the Satellite Radio, Phoenix, and San Diego boards...</P>

> I flipped it on driving around Monday and didn't last longer
> than 3 minutes. They were entertaining themselves in the
> studio, but it was pretty boring not knowing the inside
> jokes driving down the street.
>
> ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
>
When were you listening? I would have LOVED to hear someone entertaining ANYone. all i heard were mediocre news reads.

> > I flipped it on driving around Monday and didn't last
> longer
> > than 3 minutes. They were entertaining themselves in the
> > studio, but it was pretty boring not knowing the inside
> > jokes driving down the street.
> >
> > ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
> >
> When were you listening? I would have LOVED to hear someone
> entertaining ANYone. all i heard were mediocre news reads.
>

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

> > > I flipped it on driving around Monday and didn't last
> > longer
> > > than 3 minutes. They were entertaining themselves in
> the
> > > studio, but it was pretty boring not knowing the inside
> > > jokes driving down the street.
> > >
> > > ZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
> > >
> > When were you listening? I would have LOVED to hear
> someone
> > entertaining ANYone. all i heard were mediocre news
> reads.
> >
>
> ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!
>
do you think the talk will last on 97.5? If it flips what do you think the next formar will be?

> do you think the talk will last on 97.5?

No. It will probably fizzle like the old 97 Talk (KKTL 97.1) did.

> If it flips what do you think the next formar will be?

Whatever it is, it needs to be targeted to the demographics where the signal is best (think Country Legends 97.1.) Perhaps Urban Gospel (unless Radio One gets there first via KROI), or, what the heck, perhaps Americana or Texas Music (think KFAN-FM, KTXN, or KHYI.) We might even see Spanish language Religious, who knows.

If Cumulus winds up with KRBE (it will be a battle) they might be smart to just dump 97.5 and get some $$$ back. There's always someone who will want the signal, whatever its limitations are.

> > do you think the talk will last on 97.5?
>
> No. It will probably fizzle like the old 97 Talk (KKTL
> 97.1) did.
>
> > If it flips what do you think the next formar will be?
>
> Whatever it is, it needs to be targeted to the demographics
> where the signal is best (think Country Legends 97.1.)
> Perhaps Urban Gospel (unless Radio One gets there first via
> KROI), or, what the heck, perhaps Americana or Texas Music
> (think KFAN-FM, KTXN, or KHYI.) We might even see Spanish
> language Religious, who knows.
>
> If Cumulus winds up with KRBE (it will be a battle) they
> might be smart to just dump 97.5 and get some $$$ back.
> There's always someone who will want the signal, whatever
> its limitations are.
>
They should have never moved 97.5 from Beaumont from the start! That was a big waste of money in my opinion. KAYD should still be broadcasting on 97.5!

107.9 is probably a worse rim shot! It belongs back in Beaumont off Fannett Rd where it belongs.

> I tried listening for substantial segments during morning
> and afternoon drive. This sounds like a bad impression of
> 740's news. Yes, they have news in the afternoon, but I
> thought there was supposed to be some edge and commentary
> and whatnot. NO WHATNOT to be found yesterday. Where's the
> WHATNOT???
> This station has no thing to offer and furthermore Jim Corrolla isGREAT but surrounded by hippies stuck in the 70's rock era. They need real direction, and get rid of the sloppy radio after 7pm and re running weekday shows and news all weekend. Get a life people. Phil Hendrie is the best show and he does not play all weekend i dont think. Your news channel has no news on the weekends except rerun news with the rerun of the talkshows of the past week. They will be history with in 6 months if they dont fix it. It really is another u 1069 only the names have changed. Sloppy radio is not even tolerated in Madisonville. 97.5 really sound bad. Sorry!

> > > do you think the talk will last on 97.5?
> >
> > No. It will probably fizzle like the old 97 Talk (KKTL
> > 97.1) did.
> >
> > > If it flips what do you think the next formar will be?
> >
> > Whatever it is, it needs to be targeted to the demographics
> > where the signal is best (think Country Legends 97.1.)
> > Perhaps Urban Gospel (unless Radio One gets there first via
> > KROI), or, what the heck, perhaps Americana or Texas Music
> > (think KFAN-FM, KTXN, or KHYI.) We might even see Spanish
> > language Religious, who knows.
> >
> > If Cumulus winds up with KRBE (it will be a battle) they
> > might be smart to just dump 97.5 and get some $$$ back.
> > There's always someone who will want the signal, whatever
> > its limitations are.
> >
> They should have never moved 97.5 from Beaumont from the
> start! That was a big waste of money in my opinion. KAYD
> should still be broadcasting on 97.5!
>
> 107.9 is probably a worse rim shot! It belongs back in
> Beaumont off Fannett Rd where it belongs.
>
Both 107.9 and 97.5 are the worse rim shots where I live and the ironic part is that the FM Table of Allocations has approved the change of the City of License from Beaumont to Dayton for 107.9 and from Beaumont to Mont Belvieu (Baytown) for 97.5, yet the antenna can not move any closer to either city. In fact LBI {Liberman} had sent the FCC a letter requesting withdrawl of Change of City from Beaumont to Dayton for 107.9 KQQK and that he would not apply for the frequency if it was changed. Now that the change has been approved, I wonder if LBI will still not apply for KQQK? It is already counted as a Houston station for his reporting purposes so that would make no difference that it was licensed to Dayton and I can't see LBI let a station go. His letter is a matter of record in the proceeding.

It could have been to get away from the ID with Beaumont and Houston or in hopes that the Separation Tables will be relaxed soon and could move the antenna much closer to Houston. The FCC came out with a ten year "goal" of Rules & Regulations to review for change and elimination over the next ten years about a week ago and the Separation Tables where not part of the plan, in fact from some brief reading concerning LPFM the separation of stations will be loosened a bit for LPFM concerning 3rd adjacent but over all the Separarion could actually get stricter. Not that this couldn't change, since the FCC really doesn't have any frequencies left to auction off in the majority of big cities where they fetch the biggest bucks for the right to apply for a CP, it would not be out of the realm of possibility to see some loosening of the Separation Tables so more stations can be jammed in and auctioned off for big bucks. Money speaks volumes in DC and if the FCC can bring in another $100M by loosing the Separation Tables to cram more stations for Auction, I can see it as a real possibility. But as CW has rightfully said don't count on it.

I don't see much hope for KFNC 97.5 from what I have heard of the station and I will admit it has been mercifully only a small portion of the broadcast day. I think the station would of had a much better chance as a straight ahead 24/7 All News station that had paired up with Fox26 and shared resources. Even if that was done I would only give the station about a 10% chance of success. The signal limits KFNC more than anything and a station you can't hear does not count. For many listeners the first time they tune in and hear Country music booming from KFTX in Kingsville-Corpus Christi aren't going to be back again, they will have figured the station changed formats. It was a noble idea but I just don't see the format lasting until the Fall.

The only thing I can think of is these stations still make more money as pitiful Houston rim shots than if they were serving the Golden Triangle or the grass is greener on the other side. Cumulus had good ratings with KRWP 97.5 in The Golden Triangle when it was running the Urban AC format. Personally I would think the station would be further ahead with a good rating in the Golden Triangle than a poor rating in Houston and it is hard to say that KFNC will even show up in the ratings in a couple of months of being News-Talk, in either Arbitron DMA.

Cumulus would be wise to cut their loses short on 97.5 and sell the station to someone local in Beaumont and run the station as a GT station. There is not much in the way of AM radio in the GT, so FM is pretty much the game. Of course the COL has been approved for a Houston suburb and moving back to Beaumont will be screwed up. If the FCC does make the change of FM Table of Allotments a Minor Modification, 97.5 could change the COL back to Beaumont again in hopefully a short period of time, like a few months and not the five plus years that are currently the norm.

Mike O

It's sad yet amazing that with all of that talent over there at KFNC, they've created a station that is not really special. As a whole, I have not heard positive comments about the new station. That goes to show ya that just having talent does not guarantee success. I wish that KFNC was more compelling and entertaining. I'd like to see them move along a little quicker, pick up the pace a bit during morning and midday. I do listen to the station and I'll give it a little more time, but they're losing me...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom