• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

101.1 Jack FM and Q1043 Sweeper

Diamond Joe: I am really not sure where to post anything, so I apologize if I am forming more clutter on the board.

Ok, to the points. I was out most of the day and I was of course listening to 101.1 Jack FM. Early this afternoon, I flipped on Q1043 and heard a sweeper saying something like "Q1043 Playing What You Want". I found that interesting and I am sure that was directed to 101.1.

I listened to 101.1 Jack FM much of the day and they are playing a lot of new rock and classic rock with an occasional pop tune thrown in. But, they seem rock based with some other music, but mostly rock. I still really miss WCBS FM, but I will get used to it. Of course, this whole Jack flip may affect quite a few radio stations in New York City. Things involved include ratings, ad revenue, and possible format flips. The next year or so in New York City radio should be quite interesting.<P ID="signature">______________
Kevin</P>

Q104.3 Taking A Swipe At Jack-FM

> Diamond Joe: I am really not sure where to post anything, so
> I apologize if I am forming more clutter on the board.

This is fine... It's a different facet on the situation (especially when another station taking a potshot at them is involved) so this works.

(Once again, if you find a thread deleted, I've likely tacked it onto another thread... This will probably be for this weekend only, as I try and help keep this place in order... We're not censoring anybody.)

> Ok, to the points. I was out most of the day and I was of
> course listening to 101.1 Jack FM. Early this afternoon, I
> flipped on Q1043 and heard a sweeper saying something like
> "Q1043 Playing What You Want". I found that interesting and
> I am sure that was directed to 101.1.

That's Q104.3 taking advantage of a bad situation for former CBS-FM listeners. They're appeasing to them, and at the same time, taking a potshot at the new guy in town. This might work well in their favor. In fact, you're not the first to predict that Q104.3 may pick up some listeners who used to listen to 101.1.

> I listened to 101.1 Jack FM much of the day and they are
> playing a lot of new rock and classic rock with an
> occasional pop tune thrown in. But, they seem rock based
> with some other music, but mostly rock. I still really miss
> WCBS FM, but I will get used to it. Of course, this whole
> Jack flip may affect quite a few radio stations in New York
> City. Things involved include ratings, ad revenue, and
> possible format flips. The next year or so in New York City
> radio should be quite interesting.

They've been leaning toward rock a lot, but they also focus on pop. It was great to hear some of those forgotten 90's songs once again.

The one downside of Jack - eventually, you will hear Britney Spears - or worse, the Spice Girls... But there's about 1,198 other songs in their library...<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

Re: Threads

Joe:

Want to give you kudos for the great job you do with this board. There are some other boards where people aren't as nice. The discussion here is spirited - but not mean spirited - and you are very polite and respectful of the posters.

Not To Get Off On A Tangent...

> Joe:
>
> Want to give you kudos for the great job you do with this
> board.

Stop right there... Maybe it's because I'm too humble, but if you thank me, you should equally give thanks to Bruce and Matt, the co-moderators of this board. Just because it looks like I've had a lot of input over the last 24 hours, does not mean that I should get all the credit. And you should also thank Lance the admin, while you're at it...

> There are some other boards where people aren't as
> nice. The discussion here is spirited - but not mean
> spirited - and you are very polite and respectful of the
> posters.

Without getting into a "hissing match" with another board, and I think I do know which one you're talking about... This board is completely different from that one. Whereas that one is run by one man who, while some may take him as abrasive, you've got to admire him for his radio insights; this one is run by a staff of people who admire the listeners as much as we admire radio. We're always trying to do the right thing, and we work as a team.

Thanks for the accolades.<P ID="signature">______________

More Things I Have to Say...

I was going to start a new thread, but I will post in this thread I just made a few minutes ago.

If oldies is to come back to New York City, maybe 101.9 WQCD should go oldies. What do they got to lose? It would be unusual if New York City had no smooth jazz station, but it would be interesting if Emmis made a move or Clear Channel, but I doubt Clear Channel is going to change anything. In other posts, other posters and I have talked about WPLJ flipping to oldies. The landscape of NYC radio is changing and in trouble now. We will see what happens I guess.

Now I must go outside and get some fresh air! lol I'll be back later! ;)<P ID="signature">______________
Kevin</P>

Re: More Things I Have to Say...

> I was going to start a new thread, but I will post in this
> thread I just made a few minutes ago.
>
> If oldies is to come back to New York City, maybe 101.9 WQCD
> should go oldies. What do they got to lose? It would be
> unusual if New York City had no smooth jazz station, but it
> would be interesting if Emmis made a move or Clear Channel,
> but I doubt Clear Channel is going to change anything. In
> other posts, other posters and I have talked about WPLJ
> flipping to oldies. The landscape of NYC radio is changing
> and in trouble now. We will see what happens I guess.
>
> Now I must go outside and get some fresh air! lol I'll be
> back later! ;)
>

It would be interesting if 101.9 or 955 went oldies. Maybe KTU could go oldies and Mix takes all the dance listeners. I doubt CC would do that though. Since oldies is gone in New York City, I'm sure more people will try to pull in the North NJ AM oldies stations. Maybe 106.7 Lite FM will throw in more gold tracks.<P ID="signature">______________
Dennis</P>

Re: More Things I Have to Say...

> It would be interesting if 101.9 or 955 went oldies. Maybe
> KTU could go oldies and Mix takes all the dance listeners. I
> doubt CC would do that though. Since oldies is gone in New
> York City, I'm sure more people will try to pull in the
> North NJ AM oldies stations. Maybe 106.7 Lite FM will throw
> in more gold tracks.

Well Clear Channel won't flip any of their New York City stations to oldies. They have already changed most of their oldies stations to other formats in markets. I'd say 95.5 PLJ looks like the best choice to make the change to oldies.

Also I was put on WCBS News Radio 880 and they had a story about their sister station WCBS-FM going the new Jack format. In the story I believe they had one of the djs from CBS-FM 101.1 say that it wasn't a smart idea of changing one of the best well know stations in New York City.

Re: Not To Get Off On A Tangent...

Joe,

Ditto. My other post was directed at other posters, but I should have added that I think you do a fine job at moderating the board. Kudos...

Lite-FM - More Oldies?

> It would be interesting if 101.9 or 955 went oldies. Maybe
> KTU could go oldies and Mix takes all the dance listeners. I
> doubt CC would do that though. Since oldies is gone in New
> York City, I'm sure more people will try to pull in the
> North NJ AM oldies stations. Maybe 106.7 Lite FM will throw
> in more gold tracks.

I'm sure there will be quite an uptick in Motown, and not so much the Dion-variety oldies, on Lite-FM, just as the number of dance songs happened to increase when WNEW went to dance music.<P ID="signature">______________

(radioduck) Do you think q104.3 will go oldies?

(Reposted from another thread)

Posted by: radioduck
Posted on: 06/04/05 09:31 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some have speculated that maybe q104.3 will go oldies. Although I hope a station will come along and take the format, I think if that were to happen it would be another loss for the market.

New York needs an oldies station but it should not be at the possible loss of a classic rock station.

I am not saying this will happen but some people are guessing if anyone will go oldies and of course q came up as a possible answer in addition to WPLJ.

<P ID="signature">______________

Re: (radioduck) Do you think q104.3 will go oldies?

> (Reposted from another thread)
>
> Posted by: radioduck
> Posted on: 06/04/05 09:31 PM
>
>
--------------------> ------------------------------------------------------------
>
>
> Some have speculated that maybe q104.3 will go oldies.
> Although I hope a station will come along and take the
> format, I think if that were to happen it would be another
> loss for the market.
>
> New York needs an oldies station but it should not be at the
> possible loss of a classic rock station.
>
> I am not saying this will happen but some people are
> guessing if anyone will go oldies and of course q came up as
> a possible answer in addition to WPLJ.
>

I didn't think about Q1043 going oldies. That is an interesting prediction, but they are such a great classic rock station. Wouldn't want another good station to die. Like I have been saying, WPLJ or CD101.9 should go oldies.
<P ID="signature">______________
Kevin</P>

> Diamond Joe: I am really not sure where to post anything, so
> I apologize if I am forming more clutter on the board.
>
> Ok, to the points. I was out most of the day and I was of
> course listening to 101.1 Jack FM. Early this afternoon, I
> flipped on Q1043 and heard a sweeper saying something like
> "Q1043 Playing What You Want". I found that interesting and
> I am sure that was directed to 101.1.

You're right, and how dumb is that of Q to call attention to Jack immediately?

Re: Attention To Jack...

> You're right, and how dumb is that of Q to call attention
> to Jack immediately?

At this point, they had nothing to lose... First of all, it wasn't like they were mentioning "Jack" by name or frequency... And keep in mind that the switch made the front page of the New York Post, as well as national attention from the AP and Yahoo! over the weekend.

Therefore I wouldn't call Q's alluding to Jack as "dumb", but rather clever.<P ID="signature">______________

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom