• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

is FM radio becoming one loud and noisy headache in NY?

M

Mike1S

Infinity seems to think that New Yorkers want nothing but "energetic",upbeat music.Hectic music to match our hectic lives.I think many people also want music to be a relaxing escape from that.

I put on Light FM and I hear upbeat soft-Dance.What happened to the 70's singer/songwriter songs?You switch to K Rock and its loud arena anthems from the 80's.You switch to WPLJ and its upbeat 80's Pop.
WNEW-upbeat dance.Now we have the upbeat mix of Jack.

one big headache.

no music to get relaxed to.To unwind to.To use as background noise in the house.Its all in loud and in your face.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Mike1S on 06/04/05 07:54 PM.</FONT></P>

Re: is FM radio becoming...

The days of "easy listening" and "beautiful music" are long gone. And once again, high demographics come into play, when you look at WDUV in Tampa. Then again, that's only Tampa... But I'm not here to argue that relaxing music is mostly enjoyed by older folks. I know how "elevator music" was the "office-friendly" choice years ago. But as I pointed out elsewhere, we're in the middle of the evolution of radio, and as it gets more modern, so do the choices.

Now as far as Lite-FM, they've been taking chances with their "lite" format, simply because they can. They've been the No. 1 English music station in the city for awhile, and Jim Ryan & Co. fine-tuned it to be, well, modern.<P ID="signature">______________

New York City Radio and TV</P>

> Infinity seems to think that New Yorkers want nothing but
> "energetic",upbeat music.Hectic music to match our hectic
> lives.I think many people also want music to be a relaxing
> escape from that.
>
> I put on Light FM and I hear upbeat soft-Dance.What happened
> to the 70's singer/songwriter songs?You switch to K Rock and
> its loud arena anthems from the 80's.You switch to WPLJ and
> its upbeat 80's Pop.
> WNEW-upbeat dance.Now we have the upbeat mix of Jack.
>
> one big headache.
>
> no music to get relaxed to.To unwind to.To use as background
> noise in the house.Its all in loud and in your face.
>

If you want relaxing music, tune into 96.3 FM. They play classical music. Or CD 101.9 with the smooth jazz and chill.<P ID="signature">______________
Kevin</P>

Re: is FM radio becoming...

> The days of "easy listening" and "beautiful music" are long
> gone. And once again, high demographics come into play, when
> you look at WDUV in Tampa. Then again, that's only Tampa...
> But I'm not here to argue that relaxing music is mostly
> enjoyed by older folks. I know how "elevator music" was the
> "office-friendly" choice years ago. But as I pointed out
> elsewhere, we're in the middle of the evolution of radio,
> and as it gets more modern, so do the choices.
>
> Now as far as Lite-FM, they've been taking chances with
> their "lite" format, simply because they can. They've been
> the No. 1 English music station in the city for awhile, and
> Jim Ryan & Co. fine-tuned it to be, well, modern.
>
Joe:

Speaking of Lite-FM, the WCBS-FM listenership is likely to flood over there - and could turn them into an 8.0 share. Ironically, CC stands the least to lose in this flip - sans WAXQ.

My take on who takes the hits:

1) WPLJ
2) WAXQ
3) WXRK
4) WNEW

Thats why I listen to either WNYC or WQXR.<P ID="signature">______________
WCBS = We're Crazy Buffoons and Schmucks</P>

I know public radio is not extremely popular on this site, but tuning into it for an alternative to the "noisy" commercial can be a great thing. I do it all the time.

In my humble opinion, the choices there are definitely limited in NYC but actually pretty darn good:

Jazz 88 (@ 88.3)
WFUV 90.7 (a great place for hearing singer-songwriter stuff...)
89.9 WKCR

And the great, always eccentric, but rarely "easy listening" 91.1, WFMU...

Just wanted to take a minute to celebrate the non-commercial band at a time that so many ppl are disappointed with commercial programming in NYC.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom