• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Program's radio stations use

B

bjacobs

Can someone tell me what program does WKTU, WCBSFM and other oldies stations use to convert their music cd's to the computer? and what kind of plugins on the computer do they use for sound quality?

> Can someone tell me what program does WKTU, WCBSFM and other
> oldies stations use to convert their music cd's to the
> computer? and what kind of plugins on the computer do they
> use for sound quality?
>

If you mean what do they use to play their music on-air - WCBS uses AudioVAULT from BE, and WKTU uses Prophet NexGen. There's about a dozen (or so) other companies that produce this type of product.

As far as "plugins for sound quality" - I'm fairly certain these stations (and most others) don't use "plugins" to set their "sound". They use very sophisticated (and EXPENSIVE) audio processing on the ENTIRE audio chain - not just the songs.

Some stations use high quality CD players to record onto the hard disk through a console, using audio production software such as CoolEdit, (or Audion or whatever Adobe calls it now).

This allows for more consistency in levels.

Other stations just use their production software to rip the cut directly from CD. Then it may or may not be normalized, depending on station policy. The older Audio Vault had proprietary sound cards and required files be stored as 32K WAV files, if I remember right. I think most folks now store files as uncompressed ( or only slightly compressed, e.g. 44k) WAV files, given large hd storage capacities available today.

Any other processing is normally done with the compressor/limiter/stereo generator.

WCBS uses Prophet actually. The ripping happens through an integrated product called CD Extractor (it comes with Prophet).

Wes

> > Can someone tell me what program does WKTU, WCBSFM and
> other
> > oldies stations use to convert their music cd's to the
> > computer? and what kind of plugins on the computer do they
>
> > use for sound quality?
> >
>

> WCBS uses Prophet actually. The ripping happens through an
> integrated product called CD Extractor (it comes with
> Prophet).

AudioVAULT also has an integrated CD ripping product, AVRip.

> > WCBS uses Prophet actually. The ripping happens through
> an
> > integrated product called CD Extractor (it comes with
> > Prophet).
>
> AudioVAULT also has an integrated CD ripping product, AVRip.

As does Scott Studios, called "TLC" (Transfer, Label, Convert)<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie</P>

> As does Scott Studios, called "TLC" (Transfer, Label,
> Convert)
>
"Trim Label and Convert" Originally designed to apply a Scott Header to generic WAV files. CD Ripping came later.

> > As does Scott Studios, called "TLC" (Transfer, Label,
> > Convert)
> >
> "Trim Label and Convert" Originally designed to apply a
> Scott Header to generic WAV files. CD Ripping came later.

Oh, that's right, "Trim". My mistake, been a while since I worked with it.

Also, I've decided to start dedicating each applicable post to the station that is on the frequency number of said post, starting now. Yes, this is utterly pointless, but I feel like doing it anyway :) So, to start with, this post, 770, is dedicated to WABC, New York City. Yay.
<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie</P>

> Also, I've decided to start dedicating each applicable post
> to the station that is on the frequency number of said post,
> starting now. Yes, this is utterly pointless, but I feel
> like doing it anyway :) So, to start with, this post, 770,
> is dedicated to WABC, New York City. Yay.
>
What do you charge? I may buy a plug for post 1480...

> What do you charge? I may buy a plug for post 1480...
>
Goin out on a really skinny limb here but did you spend some time in Yankton, SD, Drew? If so, I know you ;-)

And in some of the 2003 versions of TLC, TLC stood for Trim, Label, and Crash

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom