• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

What do you do when......

C

COYOTE

The client your recording sounds like they should never touch a mic in their like again? They have been times I put things on the air Chicago, LA, NEW YORK would laugh at, that our clients record. What do you do? Other than tell the salesperson, who repsonds by saying, "They are one of our top clients let them do what they want".

> The client your recording sounds like they should never
> touch a mic in their like again? They have been times I put
> things on the air Chicago, LA, NEW YORK would laugh at, that
> our clients record. What do you do? Other than tell the
> salesperson, who repsonds by saying, "They are one of our
> top clients let them do what they want".
>

I too hate clients on spots. 99.9 % sound horrible!

Client should be approached in a way to let them know it's in their best interest to let professionals deliver his/her message, etc, etc. This should come from the Sales Manager, Creative Director, even the Market Manager if need be. Wine n dine 'em (lunch, whatever) to not seem like an intervention, lol!

You can also coach them. Especially if they are nervous, you can take control of the session and ask them to repeat after you, you say one line, they repeat using your inflections, saying it EXACTLY the way you do. I coached many clients, and while they still didn't sound like award material, the spots were airable. If they are the cocky type that have an ego bigger than your morning jock...it could be a tough sell.

One other way would be to talk with the A.E. IF the A.E. is the one writing the spot, explain that the TSL (Time Spent Listening) goes down everytime this ad comes on. SO to correct that, tell the A.E. to write a spot that is meant to be read by you, or their favorite jock. That way, the A.E. can go back to the client and say something like, "I thought I'd try a different approach. I had this idea for copy, and DJ Jock is perfect for the read."

Okay, one more...try having the A.E. include YOUR services as added value for the campaign...the A.E. could say something like: "And I'd like to include our production services in the buy. Our very own production director, Mr. Super ProdGod will produce the spot from beginning to end. You will own the spot, which means you can use it where ever/when ever you want. We usually charge $YYY for this service, but you are such a great customer we want to give you something back." You won't get a talent fee, but you will have the satisfaction of knowing that the listeners aren't changing the channel everytime XYZ spot comes on...And maybe your boss will notice that the stop sets sound better too....<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

Go To "My Account", then "Basic Profile, then "Signature", you can paste your code there.

If you want the FeedBurner itself, go to FeedBurner.com...please mention "cabradio" if/when asked for a referer id...thanks! Of course you need a blog hosted somewhere, I use blogger.com.

It is clickable, so if you click my "sig", or "signature", the "tile" as you call it, it will transport your through the vast infinteness of the world wide web, and you'll land at my blog...lol.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

> Go To "My Account", then "Basic Profile, then "Signature",
> you can paste your code there.
>
> If you want the FeedBurner itself, go to
> FeedBurner.com...please mention "cabradio" if/when asked for
> a referer id...thanks! Of course you need a blog hosted
> somewhere, I use blogger.com.
>
> It is clickable, so if you click my "sig", or "signature",
> the "tile" as you call it, it will transport your through
> the vast infinteness of the world wide web, and you'll land
> at my blog...lol.
>

What if no code, just a jpeg? Can that be done?

>
> One other way would be to talk with the A.E. IF the A.E. is
> the one writing the spot, explain that the TSL (Time Spent
> Listening) goes down everytime this ad comes on.

Yeah, right. That's a perfect way to ruin your credibility with the client. There's not a chance you can pull that 60 second slice out of any research.

Cripes, when half of us are spending $$$$ on coaches to get away from "that radio sound", why would you want to coach a client into sopunding like every other commercial on the radio??? You don't like the way a client sounds?? Guess what, most of your listeners probably sound just like that. Look at all the research that says todays listeners, especially the younger demos regard advertising as BS and hype and turn it off. What about if you could get the client to really sound interesting and engaging about his product/servivce? How to do that? Don't give him a script!! Just roll and talk to him..ask him questions, challenge him. Edit that into a compelling spot that gets results. You'll look like a hero AND an expert.

> What about if you could get the
> client to really sound interesting and engaging about his
> product/servivce? How to do that? Don't give him a script!!
> Just roll and talk to him..ask him questions, challenge
> him. Edit that into a compelling spot that gets results.
> You'll look like a hero AND an expert.
>

THAT'S the money..Nobody knows (or has passion for) thier business like the client. People LIKE the sound of regular folks on the air and listen to them. The screaming "Buy Today..Drive Today" car spots don't do what they used to do..they sound "usual" This one is alittle different..but still sounds "radioesque"..but I liked it:

www.spotshuttle.com/kia_augusta_nfa.mp3

It's not hard to get the client to open up about his/her business, and many times they will bring in another employee who "sounds better than I do on a tape" and they take direction better.

The worst are the guys who "used to be in radio" who want to do thier own spots..Yeeesh.

> Yeah, right. That's a perfect way to ruin your credibility
> with the client. There's not a chance you can pull that 60
> second slice out of any research.

Um...Who said anything about RESEARCH. I'm not saying to pull out a book with numbers. And, YES it is possible to get the client to understand that people TURN the DIAL when his/her ad comes on. I've done it myself. Our client's want people to LISTEN to their ads, why lead them to falsly believe people are listening when you know they aren't?

> Cripes, when half of us are spending $$$$ on coaches to get
> away from "that radio sound",

You are huh? Not to be mean, but that's really too bad that as a professional, you can't just talk when the mic is on. Plus, I've got a bridge for sale. My point being, is that if you have to pay someone to teach you how to do something your mom and dad taught you to do, is a waste of money...IMHO. Just like Broadcasting "schools".

> why would you want to coach a
> client into sopunding like every other commercial on the
> radio??? You don't like the way a client sounds?? Guess
> what, most of your listeners probably sound just like that.

Well...I'm sure there is research that shows that listeners don't like listening to bad radio anymore than they like watching B movies. Sure, there's a segment of the market that will think "how cute", but the majority will TURN. I've seen it, driving around with others who are NOT in radio...TURN, TURN, TURN as soon as an ANNOYING, POORLY PRODUCED/VOICED spot comes on. People just don't listen to BAD radio (including commercials), dispite what your ego wants you to believe.

> Look at all the research that says todays listeners,
> especially the younger demos regard advertising as BS and
> hype and turn it off.

Ah yes, that research! Who said anything about making the spot sound like hype and bs? The production director IS the voice coach...YOU shouldn't have to go to one yourself!!! YOU coach the client to make the spot sound NATURAL is HIS/HER voice, with appropriate INFLECTIONS, not SOUND. That's what a production DIRECTOR is for...partly, anyways.

> What about if you could get the
> client to really sound interesting and engaging about his
> product/servivce? How to do that? Don't give him a script!!
> Just roll and talk to him..ask him questions, challenge
> him. Edit that into a compelling spot that gets results.
> You'll look like a hero AND an expert.

Well, I can agree with you on one point you make.....

:)

<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

With the http:// to where it is hosted, sure. We don't host pix here. You could even have the .jpg link to a URL of your choice. (providing it is a legal and "clean" site)<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

>
> > Cripes, when half of us are spending $$$$ on coaches to
> get
> > away from "that radio sound",
>
> You are huh? Not to be mean, but that's really too bad that
> as a professional, you can't just talk when the mic is on.
> Plus, I've got a bridge for sale. My point being, is that if
> you have to pay someone to teach you how to do something
> your mom and dad taught you to do, is a waste of
> money...IMHO. Just like Broadcasting "schools".

Charlie! Anyone can benefit from learning more technique. You could even make your Crab character in the pizza commercial on your demo sound crabbier! As both a producer AND a voice actor, I'm here to tell you that it ain't as easy as it looks. There's so many folks who think they can load some software on their home computer, plug in a mic and start doing voiceovers, but try as you might, you're not gonna sound like Don LaFontaine. Ask some radio folks outside your market if they've gone to a voiceover audition and been rejected because they don't sound "real" It takes work to lose that on-air sound when you're going after agency business.

> > why would you want to coach a
> > client into sopunding like every other commercial on the
> > radio??? You don't like the way a client sounds?? Guess
> > what, most of your listeners probably sound just like
> that.
>
> Well...I'm sure there is research that shows that listeners
> don't like listening to bad radio anymore than they like
> watching B movies. Sure, there's a segment of the market
> that will think "how cute", but the majority will TURN. I've
> seen it, driving around with others who are NOT in
> radio...TURN, TURN, TURN as soon as an ANNOYING, POORLY
> PRODUCED/VOICED spot comes on. People just don't listen to
> BAD radio (including commercials), dispite what your ego
> wants you to believe.

I know they don't. I've seen it too - for 35 years. But folks who are not in radio ALSO do not say,"Wow, what a well-produced commercial", despite what YOUR ego wants you to believe. A good spot is in the message. Good production makes the message come alive and be memorable. :)
>

> Charlie! Anyone can benefit from learning more technique.
> You could even make your Crab character in the pizza
> commercial on your demo sound crabbier! As both a producer
> AND a voice actor, I'm here to tell you that it ain't as
> easy as it looks.

I guess since I'm not working that aspect of the biz, I have a different opinion. But the original question had to do with a "client" sounding bad, and what to do about it. I think, because of my own experience in doing so, that a production director can and should coach the client when appropriate. If you are a prod guy, with a deep voice, and your client is nasally, you are obviously not going to be able to make them sound like you, nor should you want to. My point was to coach them to bring out their unique sound, without allowing them to sound too annoying, or rough....basically, being their voice coach, as you have.

Maybe it's because I've been in the biz for 15 years myself, and I have a biased view. But it is easy, or should be, for a production director with at least 10 years experience to coach a client, or to do various deliveries himself/herself (obviously we all have our limitations, but for a basic, generic read....).

Where the difficulty lies for v/o artists, is that everyone and their grandma wants to work in radio, or has been told "you have a voice for radio". So, the competition is feirce. Clients (agencies) have a "sound" they are looking for. If you don't get the part, you probably didn't have the sound. I doubt it has much to do with technique. Usually, the client will ask the v/o artists to say it differently...so it's the sound, not so much the technique. Although, sometimes they can work hand in hand.

Someone just busting their chops, with little-to-no experience, would obviously have a hard time, and wouldn't sound polished...but for the "right" ad, the agency might take them over you...just because that was the sound the client wanted. Even if you had a coach teach you HOW to sound that way. It will always come down to preference, the client's preference.

While there are techniques that can help...having a certificate saying you've completed a course isn't going to get you the gig. I believe you can get the experience just as well by practicing, practicing, practicing. If you want to be able to sound like Joey on 'Friends' when you say "How YOU doin'?"... a coach could help, BUT you can achieve the same results by listening and practicing imitating. We all have our "range"...I don't have the deep ballsy voice that many in radio do have...so what? I really don't care, I just don't go after those jobs, and I don't want a coach to teach me how to deliver that sound with technique because then I loose my own identity, that which DOES set me apart from the rest. I don't want to land a gig because I sound like so-and-so. I want the gig because of something I have that is unique to everybody else. Could a voice coach pull that out of me, sure...but it's not necessary for a :60 second spot.

For someone like yourself, I can understand wanting to "improve" what you've got...to find a newer, better product to deliver to the client. I understand that...and when one doesn't have natural talent, or believe they don't...they may need help, and may be willing to pay for that help.

I'm not pursuing a v/o career because I can utilize my talents to make my living elsewhere, but I am confident enough in my ability that if I wanted to make a career out of it, my "crab" character would be perfect, for the right part.

> There's so many folks who think they can
> load some software on their home computer, plug in a mic and
> start doing voiceovers, but try as you might, you're not
> gonna sound like Don LaFontaine.

I've heard many people on commercials wondering what business they had getting the gig, because they sounded aweful, in my opinion, but they either had what the client wanted, or a great agent, or were just at the right place at the right time. Technique for radio commercials is over rated, but that is only my opinion. If you want to get into voice acting, where you have many many lines and need to keep a consistant pace and sound, then yes, by all means, get a coach. I've heard Michael Reagan and Neal Boortz, as I'm sure you know both are talk show hosts, mention they have voice coaches...but then again, they talk for 3 hours straight.

I listen to my old airchecks of old spots, and cringe. Not so much anymore. I can deliver the smile...that's what matters. It took practice and experience. Could a voice coach have gotten me there faster...I doubt it. There are so many other things that go along with it, like confidence, that a coach can't teach.

> Ask some radio folks
> outside your market if they've gone to a voiceover audition
> and been rejected because they don't sound "real" It takes
> work to lose that on-air sound when you're going after
> agency business.

A friend of mine has taken lessons, it hasn't gotten him a gig yet. It's not because his technique is bad. He sounds great...it's because the competition is fierce. Too many people scraping for that same crumb.

> But folks who are not in radio ALSO do not say,"Wow, what a
> well-produced commercial", despite what YOUR ego wants you
> to believe. A good spot is in the message. Good production
> makes the message come alive and be memorable. :)

Actually, I have heard non-radio people say they liked or disliked a commercial, because of the way it was produced. We have a local yokel who does his own ads. He sounds aweful, and everybody believes this as a fact. He does his own tv ads too. He buys with lots of frequency, so his ads are successful. Some people would say it's the annoyance factor that makes him successful, because people remember him. I say, it's because he has lots of marketing dollars and is everywhere, all the time. You have no choice BUT to remember him.

It's nice sharing ideas with you. :)<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom